5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all sorts of boxes...
There are many key ingredients to having a successful debut album, and on Matinee Jack Penate seems to have included all the best ones.

Published on 16 Nov 2007 by Robbie Swale

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but "Everything is New" is better
I'd not heard of Jack Penate until I caught him on the BBC's Glastonbury coverage whilst waiting for Franz Ferdinand to come on.

Published on 5 Sep 2009 by M. Saxby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all sorts of boxes..., 16 Nov 2007
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)

Through his distinctive voice, with it's regular forays into the falcetto and London twang, and the fast-paced jangly guitars, Penate definitely creates his own sound and makes his songs instantly recognisable. Whilst some might prefer lyrics to be more abstract, Jack's words are more than a little Dylan-esque in their starkness and clarity, if not necessarily in their complexity, particularly when he is busy being observational.

And with a distinctive voice and good lyrics, what more do you need? Well of course, no debut album can truly be a success without great songs. And it is here that Jack Penate really excells. My favourites are the 4, 5, 6 sequence. Torn on the Platform, probably the stand out track and clear choice for first hit single, shows a love for home that anyone can identify with. Next comes Learning Lines, which I first heard when I saw him play in a pub on Pentonville Road two years ago. Learning Lines (particularly in the 'secret' version which comes after the end of the album) is a very distinctive song, especially when placed here amongst the jingle-jangle of most of the rest of the album, and the vocal is brilliant. Probably my favourite song is Run For Your Life which gives us, through an infectious beat and bouncy chorus, a little taste of Jack's views on the more violent aspects of human nature!

All in all, this is an excellent debut, and perhaps the final key ingredient - and one that ensures success - is that it is really enjoyable to listen to. The songs can bounce along in the background or be listened to up close. They are great lound and quiet, and they inevitably bring a smile to my face.

One thing that becomes fairly clear as you listen to this is that Jack Penate has a very bright future ahead of him.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Happy Hour Again (sic)!!!, 10 Oct 2007
C. Wilde "wi1dething" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
After the success of the previous singles and various festivals Mr Penate finally unleashes his album onto us - now I wasnt looking for Housemartins comparisons but several reviewers have made that but I can't see it myself as they were a foursome and Jack is well Jack at the end of the day - a one off like Kate Nash...Trust me buy this album as it going to be in most Top 10 end of year lists..u will not be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have Seen The Future Of Indie Rock, His Name is...Jack Penate, 13 Nov 2007
DJColzz "DJ MacDonald" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
This is quite possibly the best album I have heard in quite a few months. Reminiscent of The Hoosiers album, Jack Penate (pronounced `Pen at ay' and not `pen eight' as some of my esteemed friends seem to think, has produced an album of informative, insightful and memorable songs.

Some of the album sounds all too familiar with influences ranging from all of the latest indie rockers (The Kooks, The Feeling, The Zutons etc.), but the song writing talent cannot be taken away from this wholly creative, inspired young man. "We Will Be Here", "Second Minute or Hour" and "Torn on the Platform" are outstanding tracks.

This is one you will play and play again and the more you do, the more you will excel yourself with words worthy of any intellectual convincing yourself how much you love it.

The rockin' beats of "Made of Codes" completes a substantive list to make this a distinctive sound, just about every track has a uniqueness (as in the haunting "My Yvonne") that's well thought out and brought together. This isn't a rushed album; it's a well planned artistic experience that any deserving indie fan should have.

I hope Jack grows and grows, as he truly deserves to. Years from now, you will still be playing Jack Penate's Matinee.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have seen the future of indie rock - His name is....Jack Penate, 13 Nov 2007
DJColzz "DJ MacDonald" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Matinee (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
This was a gift for someone. They had requested it and therefore enjoyed the music once they had received it

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
Described as mainly quirky and hummably poptastic skiffle-pop, this album is great and pleasant surprise for any critics who tried to pre guess or assume what this album would contain.

A personally favourite of mine is "My Yvonne" (which features a guest vocal from the fantastic Adele, who herself went on to later smash through 2008, gaining more media attention then I think she deserved, but thats a different story entirely) - anyway, beautiful vocals from both.

Amazing summer album, I have personally found it to be timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under 2!, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
I bought this for a mere 1.89 and it is absolutely amazing! Really catchy tunes and can't wait to get out and drive to the beach whilst listening to this great album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Pleasure, 30 Dec 2011
K. Spence (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
Brought this album along with the follow up from Amazon as it was so cheap I thought, Why not I've only paid a fiver for both. Well blimey O'Reilly what a little scorcher. Usually debut albums are a little all over the place with style as it's songs the Artist has been playing for a while, usually the songs are good, but the production lets them down, Radiohead's Pablo Honey and Carter USM's 101 Damnations spring to mind. But Not this album, not only is it packed full of great tunes the production is tip-top too. This is definately my find of 2011.
I advice all Indie fans to buy this Album, for less than 2 it's a steal

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but "Everything is New" is better, 5 Sep 2009
M. Saxby (Fleet, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Matinee (Audio CD)

What I heard caught my attention and I bought this CD as a result. It's good and I recognised some of the tracks from his live set, but the real stand outs are on his second album, which I later bought, which has an altogether more polished and assured feel.

Maybe in time, if Jack becomes a big star, people will hark back to the rawness of this album, but I feel he was finding his way a little still with this and that he really found his feet with Everything is New.

That said, if you've bought Everything is New, get this too as he's not yet produced tons of material and there are some good tracks here as well. If nothing else, the progression from Matinee to Everything is New is worth experiencing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer Tunes, 1 Jun 2009
C. Patten (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
Such a happy album this, very good listen, especially when relaxing or driving in the sunshine. Good summer buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Matinee (Ltd Edition)
Matinee (Ltd Edition) by Jack Penate (Audio CD - 2007)