4.0 out of 5 stars nice
Tony hawks legend good game
Published 9 months ago by Tyson

3.0 out of 5 stars Will THUG ever be beaten?
Since Tony Hawk's Underground 2, the series has just never been the same. Although I think Proving Ground is a slight improvement on Project 8 and American Wasteland, it is still miles behind the THUG series.

Published on 3 Aug. 2008 by D. M. STEANE

3.0 out of 5 stars Will THUG ever be beaten?, 3 Aug. 2008
D. M. STEANE (Kirkcaldy, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)

It has to be said that the graphics on this are pretty good, and the gameplay isn't bad at all, but the story and new tricks is what's letting this down. The "Nail a Trick and Grab" in my opinion is pretty hoepless and skating just doesn't seem to be fun anymore.

The map is certainly big enough and maybe a little too big. Challenges you come accross throughout the game are definetely what I would call HARD, and there are very few cutscenes, which I find brings a story together in a game, especially a Tony Hawk's one. You soon find yourself doing the same thing over and over agian, and it does get slightly tedious.

If you like to just casually skate anywhere, doing tricks and whatever, I would probably reccommed this, and for £15 it's one of the cheaper PS3 games out there. If, like me, you were a big fan of the THUG series then I wouldn't reccommed this, as it just ins't the same and not very fun anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars I managed 10 minutes before turning it off forever., 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
The first Tony Hawk game that i played was "Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2" on the PSone. I was instantly hooked and bought pretty much every subsequent release.

A few years on I have a sudden hit of nostalgia and go back to playing THPS 3, THPS 4, THUG and THUG 2. They are all great games, though it must be said that THPS3 is hands down my favourite. (PS2)

So I decided to buy this title, assuming that the step up to PS3 would make it an amazing game.

The gameplay is awful and very jerky, the graphics appear to be WORSE than the PS2 titles.
Stick with the old titles, they play more smoothly and look better. I do not understand how activision got it so wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment!, 7 Nov. 2007
R. Van Vuuren "The Ru" (London) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
Having been a skater and faithful fan of the TH series since the first title was released, I was really excited to play Proving Ground on the PS3.

I have been playing SKATE for the past month and I was intrigued to discover what THPG would be like on this platform. In two words: IT SUCKS!

It's style over substance in very way. The characters look great and there is an infinite number of products, videos etc. but the actual game play is a real let down. The frame rate is terrible and you often get that horric effect of going through the floor or walls. It looks and plays like a Beta version. The different story options is a positive but having gotten used to SKATE's new innovative control system you really don't feel like you are out there skating with THPG. THPS4 still plays better than this product even through it's on an inferior platform. I really felt cheated for my £39.99.

After an hour of playing this game I took it out and starting playing SKATE again which actually feels like a skateboarders game. The TH series is now just a corporate money machine and it has truly lost its' soul!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, just can't decribe anything good about it, 5 July 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
I am fair with all games but this game which I payed about £30 for it on PS2 when it first came out. I played it one time.

Graphics: Terrible; Not even better than the pro skater 3 graphics.

Experience; Goals completed on the game were difficault to tell apart from ones which hadn't been done. The music was not skater music, or may have been, just I was so fustrated with the game I turned it off before getting to listen to the 'skater' music. So zoomed in to the skater, you can't see nothing but the skater.

Old games: Used to be very good, decent graphics, fun to obtain the best tricks and combos which would never be possible in reality like all tony hawks games before 'proving ground' and 'project 8'.

I still play the older games of THs because they fun and exciting. I will never play this game again, I even tried to give it another chance by downloading it for my PS3, but hated every single bit of it. I hate to be negative about games but this is what I truely think. However somebody may give a better opinion.

I wish Tony Hawk would make another game without causing it to be too be so bad like this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, 9 July 2014
Tony hawks legend good game

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Good, 22 Sept. 2007
Mark Mason "Markus" (Birmingham, Engalnd) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
I played the demo a couple of days ago on a Xbox 360. However, the game story and gameplay will definatly be the same. I would get this game for PS3 as the controls are way easier on the PS3 controller because they put the left analog stick in the right place (I can only play Tony Hawk's game with the D-pad.

The graphics are amazing and the fetures such as nail the trick are looking better as now you can nail the grab and manual so you can keep a combo going in cool slo-mo.

The story looks definatly looks more promising than Project 8 as you can choose from 3 different ways to skate. Pro who goes for glory. Hardcore who just loves to skate and hit people who try and ruin the area (for skating). Rigger who can manipulate the environment and build his own pipes and rails to skate his own line.

I'm so impressed by this game I would by the PS3 just to play it (and also GTA 4). It's looking good but i would wait a few days after it comes out so you can find out what the game is truly like.

Remeber I've only played the demo but based on what i have seen I'd buy it no question.

2.0 out of 5 stars THPG vs Skate., 11 Nov. 2007
Mr. D. J. Hughes (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
i played the demos for both these games from the ps3 store, before renting both from blockbuster for a couple of days. I'm quite a fan on the tony hawks series, however i'd heard some really good things about skate. After playing both, i chose to buy Skate, which i have since played through three times and absolutely love.

so whats wrong with THPG? Firstly the game is plagued by framerate issues, and although Skate. suffers with dropped frames at high speeds, it's even more noticeable here. Secondly, the graphics are AWFUL. it looks horribly cartoony, and the facial animations are pretty bad, to the point that any character talking looks like a gormless idiot. Thirdly, whilst THPG's control system is nice and simple to pick up and play, it suffers from feeling a little bit too easy. It's so simple to flip in, grind and flip out that you don't feel you're really doing much. On Skate., the controls are so dynamic, and so much tougher, that doing the same is cause for celebration. Skate. feels more real than THPG as its so much more difficult to link tricks together.

Which brings me onto my final pet hate of THPG: the defiance of real world physics. Again in Skate. things are tougher by virtue of a very realistic game engine: when i first played i'd quite easily slam against an object i was trying to ollie over as it was too high etc. In THPG, it's like the world has been moulded to fit skaters. I was able to fall onto a rail, i was dropping straight down and thus had no horizontal speed, and yet when i landed on the perfectly horizontal rail, my speed going across it was ridiculously fast. Whilst little things like that would most probably go unrecognised, in the hands of someone who had tried, toiled with and beaten skate., it seemed positively ludicrous. The physics are all wrong, and that makes the game feel even more cartoony, in contrast to the very real skating experience Skate. offers.

if i could make one recommendation, even to fans of the TH series (TH2 still rules), it's to buy Skate. and ignore this years TH incarnation

3.0 out of 5 stars This Isnt The TH Games I No, 22 Jan. 2008
G. Percy (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
Ok so i was excited at playing THPG after loving all the other games released and being an avid fan. I started playing THPG after i had played & completed skate which i loved. When i started playing THPG i was dissapointed in the framerate and the story line and the challenges, but i carried on playing becuase i thought it could only get better.
Well it didnt in fact it got worse and just really felt like you were playing thps3 with random challenges that didnt really add up to a good storyline.

so wen i started playing EA's Skate it took me a little while to get used to the controlls and to learn the tricks this really felt that i was progressing throughout the game, but in THPG the first thing i had done was something like a 360 heelflip to nose manual to 360 flip out which didnt feel to exciting at all. the button for doing tricks and doing the tricks i will have to say are boring.
i mean u can even grind up a 20 set rail at full speed, wtf?!?

the only thing good about this game is the 3 different skateing options
if you are looking for a good fun challenging satisfying game buy skate and unfortunatly i would say give this a miss for this year.

Sadly im going to have to give this game 3 stars. And im being nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great, 8 Sept. 2009
A. J. Crawley (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
Got this for my son, who played it at a freinds and he thinks it's great, which I'm not sure I agree with. It can be rather violent and some of the language is, well.......!!
Personally I think it should be upped in age restriction to an 18.

4.0 out of 5 stars Proving Ground, 17 Sept. 2009
Colin Matheson (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this on request for my 10-year-old son, and he seems perfectly happy with it.

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3)
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (PS3) by Activision (PlayStation 3)