VINE VOICEon 23 September 2008
I bought This Micro System with the intention of using it as an alarm clock however several small niggles have combined to make it really unsuitable for that purpose.

First of all the physical design of this unit is rather unusual. The bulk of the amplifier gear and weight of the unit is in the left speaker. This is connected to the control unit by a monitor cable, yes - the sort that connects your screen to your computer. The right speaker is connected to the left speaker with a pair of thin speaker wires and the left speaker also has the mains lead running out of it. The protuding monitor plug, weight and arrangement of the cables means that mounting the left speaker on the wall any reasonable distance from the control unit is going to be problematic. In addition, the speaker wires that connect left to right are not long enough to position the speakers either side of a double bed.

The left speaker also contains a small fan that spins up briefly when the unit starts (and presumably runs continuosly when the temperature increases). It is acceptably quiet though and cannot be heard when the volume is above 2. There are three power modes; on, standby and eco standby. In the on and standby modes there is a slight hum from the circuitry which may disturb people who need absolute silence to get off to sleep. Unfortunately in the eco standby mode the clock is not displayed and there is a bright blue stanby LED on the power switch that may disturb people who require absolute darkness to get off to sleep. In addition the playback settings are not retained when the unit is put in standby mode so you will lose your MP3 or track position and shuffle will be off. No waking up to a different tune every morning unless you select the radio.

Last but not least there is no snooze option.

I bought this unit for a specific purpose and have been slightly disapointed however as far as the unit itself is conceerned I am quite pleased.

The USB socket is in the top at the front right corner and I have managed to play MP3's from a 2GB memory stick. There is a slight gap between tracks which can interrupt continuous soundtracks but I can cope with that, just. Sound reproduction is good and the preset equaliser settings have distinct characteristics. The bass boost is good and certainly gives CD playback plenty of depth. For a micro system there is plenty of wellie and you won't need to crank it up too much to fill a room.

This would be a great unit for the living room, kitchen or dining room and with a decent sized memory stick or a couple of MP3 CD's you have a pretty good jukebox here. It's just a shame it doesn't perform so well in the bedroom.
VINE VOICEon 14 October 2008
I've had this system since the January sales and I think it's fantastic. I would consider myself to be a medium-end user of audio equipment - I don't need something swinky-swanky which produces crystal-clear, perfect surround found, but I don't want something rubbish and tinny. This system from Philips looks stylish in dark wood and silver and takes up virtually no space at all. My favourite feature is that it can be used as a DVD player by hooking it up to the TV, however, I don't do this. What I do use it for is to play music DVDs (concerts, musicals etc) so that I can listen to the audio whilst doing housework without getting distracting by watching them at the same time! The controls are easy to use though the remote control is a little bit small and, like many models, it's a generic remote which controls several similar systems, so some buttons are redundant. The sound quality is very good - I don't need to have the volume set above "15" to fill my (spacious!) lounge and the quality of audio on CDs, DVDs and disks of MP3s at that level is superb. I highly recommend this - for the price it's truely fantastic. I'd say it's a perfect buy for students as it's excellent quality for relatively low price but expensive enough to ensure that it'll last some time.
on 26 March 2009
The first piece I initially received unfortunately had a fault with the CD player, however the replacement piece has been fine.
The system looks good, however the buttons are slightly 'plasticy'. The sounds however is great, good bass.
Have not used it as a DVD player but imagine that the system would create a good atmosphere whilst watching films.
on 8 June 2009
I bought this product from DDL (Dutchwest Distribution). While it arrived promptly, the CD player couldn't read any CDs. I returned the device, had to wait over 2 weeks for a replacement. I just received the replacement - and now the CD latch does not close!!! Do not buy this item. If you search for it on the Philips website you can't find it because it is so outdated! Worst nightmare ever.
on 30 March 2008
I bought this system yesterday and found it quite okie. I would not say that it is mind blowing cause I am not very happy with its bass depth. Otherwise its nice set. I use with my laptop as pc speakers mainly...