5.0 out of 5 stars great very happy!
I was looking for a device that tracks how far iam running. I bought the it is an amazing piece of equipment, it does more that I need. I would recommend it to everyone, it includes a device that downloads all your training on the the computer and makes a little graph for you. this happens at the touch of a button. recommended, easy to use as well. Five stars!
Published on 30 Jan. 2008 by R. MILL

2.0 out of 5 stars Twice faulty!
Published on 1 Feb. 2009 by G. A. Randall

5.0 out of 5 stars great very happy!, 30 Jan. 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Forerunner 50 + foot pod, 13 Nov. 2008
Mr. G. P. Collett (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
Hi, Just thought i'd leave a quick review for the Garmin Forerunner 50 inc USB ANT Stick. I bought this item from Amazon along with footpod, heart rate monitor and bike GSC10 speed sensor. As usual Amazon delivery was faultless, all arrived safe ontime and well packed.

The Product, well i have to say the instructions with the watch are not the best, but within an hour i had everything setup for my profile on the watch and using the Garmin Training center software (quick download from there site) on my pc laptop. PC software drivers all loaded first time and very quickly and very simple to understand the Training Center application. Pairing all the sensors was quick and easy and if you pair them all together in one place, then it doesn't matter if you are going out running or Cycling or just going in the gym. I found the sensor near by. It was best to set up the foot pod calibration on a treadmill so it is then correct when you are outside, but if you have a running track or a know distance then you can do it that way. The heart rate monitor does what it say on the pack, just like any other on the market, it just works. The GSC10 bike sensor was easy to install, tidy and with no wire needing to be run along the frame to handle bars very nice setup. I checked it with my previous Cateye speed sensor and was spot on. The GSC10 fits on the rear wheel so is ideal for indoor turbo trainers and works very well, have used it every day for last week.

Once you have trained, save the date on the watch and the min you are within 3 metres of computer with USB ANT stick in, your data is automatically transfered and comes up in the Garmn Training Centre software. The data is very clear and very useful. All the data is stored in like a calendar setup so you could do a 10 mile bike ride today then same ride next week and easily compare your data.

I got the whole set for £130 and think its the best purchase i've made for some time. The watch has everything you could need, the ones higher up the range have GPS built in, from my experence, & friends is that they arn't greeat at holding signal specally in built up areas. Anyway this watch has a lap function so what i do is at points on a run or ride if you do the same route, is push the lap button at the same points, say bottom and top of a big climb, or when you cross a road, then you can easily see this once date is transfered. The watch in comfortable and could happily wear it all day, with a back light and water proof to 30 metres also not bad looking either. The watch can hold up to 100 laps, 7 hours off training data, that easily a marathon or good day out on the bike!!

Hope this helps you make the right purchase, i did!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and cost-effective GPS alternative, 10 Nov. 2008
Amazon Customer "JC" (Leigh-on-sea, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
After having started running regularly about 5 months ago, I decided to upgrade my Timex Ironman sports watch to a proper running watch that could measure pace/speed/distance. Having looked at the Garmin Forerunner range, and the 305 and 405 models in particular, I was put off by the high price and the average reviews.

The Forerunner 50 and footpod package seemed like a great (and far cheaper!) alternative to GPS, especially since I'd only be missing out on the mapping ability (which I don't consider that important anyway). Having tested my watch on a 5 mile run last weekend, I am very impressed. It is very simple to use (provided you can spare 15 mins to read through the manual!), and the ability to set training zones (such as pace) is handy although my first attempt failed abysmally when I set a pace goal of between 8:50 and 9:00 mins per mile and really struggled to keep within this 10 second zone! That is clearly a reflection of bad pace keeping on my part and not on the watch itself!

I should add that this watch does come with the ANT USB stick and the automatic transfer of running data from the watch to the PC is very nifty, although again it does pay to read the manual first to find out how this process works. The only problems I've had with this watch so far are installation issues with the software (if using Vista you will need to set the installer compatibility mode to Windows XP which I discovered by trial and error), and an issue with the auto lap feature stopping before my last lap which I think was just down to me pressing the wrong button.

So all in all, a fantastic alternative to a GPS-enabled running watch and a great way to make running training much easier to manage, although you will need a PC with a internet connection to make the most of this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic pedometer, 11 Nov. 2008
Mr. J. H. Baker "Jamesbaker1979" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod

This watch is fantastic and I would (and have) recommend(ed) it to all people wanting information on speed, distance and running times. The automatic uplink is brilliant and Garmin Connect is a really interesting training tool which enable you to see your run in a graphical form. I bought this for £38 (its currently £40 on Amazon) and I can't believe how little it costs for such functionality. The watch also looks good and is extremely slimline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Batteries not included., 8 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
When I first bought this watch I could not get it to connect with the footpod and spent ages reading the manual thinking I was stupid and getting rather angry!! However, after a while I decided maybe it wasn't me and it was the watch that was at fault. I was going to send it back but thought I'd just try a new battery in the footpod and hay presto it worked!!!

From reading the reviews duff batteries seem to be a common problem, which is a bit rubbish! But, I've been using the watch for the last month and it is brilliant so all is forgiven (I have a short memory and I'm not good at holding grudges). Basically if you can't get the footpod to connect to the watch and the red LED on the footpod doesn't flash when you first shake it the battery could be dead.

Once I'd figured out the battery issue I found it easy to set up. Also, I have Vista on my laptop and I had no problems at all downloading and using the Garmin software. It's a good GPS alternative.

2.0 out of 5 stars Twice faulty!, 1 Feb. 2009
G. A. Randall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
Purchased this item, but the footpod wouln't sync with the watch. Amazon re-sent another, within days of my request and all worked fine, until the last few days where it starting un-syncing mid run so have applied for a refund. Perhaps I was unlucky! The watch is a nice design, the footpod easy to fit, the manual okay and the software download relatively straight forward when you can actually find the right page to download it from. Due to the problems I've had (none with Amazon I hasten to add), I'll be looking at different makes and models.

4.0 out of 5 stars comes with dying batteries & not best for interval training, 25 May 2009
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
I bought the forerunner 50 + footpod + heart rate monitor. I personally found the instructions easy to understand, and I'm not the brightest person in the world. Everything is fairly simple and straight forward. Does everything it claims to. The problems with this item are more of an annoyance than any real major problems.

Firstly, as other people have mentioned, the batteries that are supplied with it become flat fast. The foot pod battery died on me after 1 1/2 months of using it. Good side is when I contacted Garmin, they did send me out a new battery. However the watch battery died 2 months into use, and I don't have the little screw drivers required to open the watch so I needed to take it to a watch repair shop to have the battery changed.

Secondly, you should calibrate the footpod on a treadmill or a track for it to be accurate. Garmin say a track is better for accuracy, and the track isn't that close to me, so it was a bit of a chore to go there.

Thirdly, the garmin training centre software does not come with instructions. It's not difficult to use, though to get the most out of it, you'll need to play around with it first.

Lastly, if you do interval training, you cannot see you heart rate and the interval timer at the same time. You'll have to switch through the modes. Still, there are ways around it, though like I said, more of an annoyance than anything.

Apart from interval training, if you are just using it for a straight forward run, it gives your pace, time, heart rate, calories burnt, has zone alarms to keep you either within a certain pace or heart rate. The computer application has graphs to track your progress during a run. And the best thing about it for me was the price compared to gps watches.

So to summarise, it's a great piece of kit, at a great price, just be sure to buy extra batteries with it (cr2032 not expensive), and to calibrate it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mac users - don't buy it!!, 24 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
I bought this watch in October last year and was so excited to be able to save my workouts on my mac just by plugging in and transferring the information from my watch! Well, I'm still waiting for it to work!

Compatibility for mac keeps getting delayed, and I keep on getting disappointed...

Now I'm back on amazon to try to find a watch that I can actually use...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Ideal, 22 Mar. 2009
G. Cowan "George" (Enniskillen, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
I have been training for a while for a 10K in May 09. I wanted something to let me know what distance speed and timing I was doing when I came across the reviews for the forerunner 50. I ordered and received it in 48 hours from Amazon and thought the price was very reasonable, (less than £90 for the bundle). Having opened the box, I read the instructions and applied the watch settings. Unfortunately the battery was not working in the footpod so I went to Tesco and bought a pack of 2 for £2. I found the whole set up process straightforward and went to a local running track to calibrate the watch and footpod. I went for a sample run where I completed 6.8 miles in 50 minutes and burned off 992 calories. The upload to my computer was very easy. Through more use the wastch will become easier to get used to and I believe that it is absolutely ideal for what I want. Very much recommended for anyone with similar goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod, 31 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod (Electronics)
What a wonderful bit of kit. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Lightweight and straightforward to use. The software is simple to download from Garmin website and the forerunner sync'd perfectly with the ant receiver after my first run. At this price you can't go wrong. 5 stars!

Garmin Forerunner 50 + Footpod