3.0 out of 5 stars If you like BJM you'll like this., 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Thank God For Mental Illness (Audio CD)
This is a good album, although not as good, I believe, as Give It Back! Bit patchy in places but strong in the middle. The 33 minute single track at the end is made of several different songs and ambient sounds and is great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so bad afterall, 25 Mar 2011
Mr. Peter Parsons (London, England) - See all my reviews
I liked the opening track of the TV series "Boardwalk Empire", investigated its origins and discovered the Brian Jonestown Massacre. My first purchase was the album "Take it from the man", which I really enjoyed and consequently played to death. I was similarly captivated by "Bravery, Repitition and Noise", which less raucous then my earlier purchase, was nonetheless brilliant. Therefore, it was with much expectation that I bought "thank god for mental illness". Parts of this album are more country folk than rock, and whilst the Donovan and Dylan influenced tracks aren't too bad, there're a couple that wouldn't go amiss at any barn dance.....and I don't mean that in a good way. When I first heard this album I hated it but it eventually grew on me. I have now learned to appreciate several positives, my favourite of which is the opening track "Spanish Bee". In fact, the album starts off strongly and I like the first three or four tracks. However, being no lover of country and western music, anyone who bothers to listen to this album will know where my enjoyment ceases. All said and done I'm glad I made the purchase but it's certainly not one I'd recommend to anyone else.

ARRAY(0xae3e2f60)

Thank God For Mental Illness by Brian Jonestown Massacre (Audio CD - 2008)