Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 October 2007
If you`ve made it to this review you where either a fan of the Kane Gang back in the day or you heard Closest Thing To Heaven at a recent 80`s party like myself and wondered if they stocked any CD`s of them.

Well lucky for us the record company has decided to release a two disc set which is really both Albums they did(The Bad and Lowdown World Of The Kane Gang and Miracle)and which have been out of print for years and a few new recordings from this year.
There are some great singles on here,Respect Yourself,Gun Law,Motortown in fact most of the singles I remember and sound okay even today,some of the other tracks I can take or leave but overall a good offering from a sadly neglected band who should have been alot bigger.
on 17 February 2012
One reviewer suggested the production value on this 2 cd set aint what it could be... I have over 800 cd's, and to be honest I cannot hear if the production is bad or not. I can tell you that hearing this band, after so long, made me smile. Good old fashioned 80's pop, with a little soul, funk, and blues thrown in. Except 'Gun Law', which sounds like New Order, the early days...heehee.

This is just good value for money. Two cd's, over 2 hours of music for a few quid. Both of their albums plus some other songs I'm not familiar with, so something new to look forward to.

It's simple - if you like The Kane Gang - buy this.
on 24 November 2007
The kane gang released two great albums way back in the eighties. The second album "miracle" was just superb but the band just disappeared for some reason soon after. At last both albums are available again on this 2 cd release with some great new tracks. Highly recommended for songs with grooves & melody.
on 12 January 2011
My mother bought me one of those ION turntables for Christmas so I could put all my favourite LP's from the 80's onto my PC. One of the first albums I pulled out of a dusty box in my loft was 'Miracle'. I was horrified when I found that most of tracks on the album were scratched. The needle jumped several times on most of the tracks.

Anyway, I sent for this remastered CD which arrived earlier in the week. I have to say, I had forgotten just how good these guys were. The double album contains some previously unreleased material. I believe that most of this stuff would have been on a third album.

I listen to most of my music sat at my PC. With the EMODIO software I use and my small but superb BOSE speakers, this album sounds brilliant.

It's all a matter of taste, but for me, 'Miracle' has to be one of the best soul albums ever recorded.
on 24 January 2014
Being totally honest I bought this cd as I've got " The Closest Thing To Heaven" on 7 inch vinyl, always loved it, no longer have a record player have searched for it on downloads but it's no-where to be found , finally found it on here :) haven't had chance to play the whole album yet but the sound quality is great , and def sounds better than on vinyl! One of my fave songs of the 80's! :)
on 13 November 2011
Very under-rated band for anyone into soulful music and harmonies. If you like bands like The Christians and you've not listened to The Kane Gang then you're missing out. So I'd strongly recommend this double CD even if there are a few fillers not in the same class as the majority of Disk 2, which is largely one great song after another.
on 29 March 2013
Closest Thing to Heaven was always my favourite song of theirs and i bought this cd on a whim of being able to listen to that said song, however i had forgotten how many other classic tunes they wrote and have thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Kane Gang all over again.
on 14 December 2008
After their inauspicious, uneven debut, The Kane Gang really came into their own on "Miracle", a classic soul-pop album which has been sadly overlooked. It sounds a bit Steely Dan-ish, but so do Prefab Sprout, and hey, they were on Kitchenware too! A pointless cover of Dennis Edwards' "Don't Look Any Further" excepted, it's all first-rate material, slickly and beautifully recorded by Pete Wingfield, that, despite having been conceived in the grim north of England, somehow manages to conjure images of sun-drenched Californian highways. The heartstoppingly poignant, Al Green styled plea "Take Me To The World" virtually reeks of freshly steaming tarmac.

Frustrating they weren't able to stick it out as their record company pulled the plug on an unreleased third album, from which several tracks were added to a more recent, badly remastered twofer edition. As none of these extra tracks holds a candle to the Kane Gang's brief but sparkling peak period, you're well advised to get the punchier original CD.
on 3 May 2010
Does remind you of hot summers, balmy evenings (just as "you're the best thing' by the style council).
I liked the Kane Gang back in the 80's, and to be honest some of it still sounds great. 'Closest thing to heaven', 'Motortown' and 'What time is it' are...timeless classics.
Alot of the other stuff sounds a bit dated, but who cares. They were under-rated then, but the big tracks still stack up well.
on 29 December 2013
if your a fan of this group then buy this cd.
very very hard to get hold of in vinyl. this version was shipped from Germany and the price wasent too dear