Format: DVD|Change

on 8 March 2012
I thought it was very funny and was even more surprised to discover that some sketches were newly written for the concerts in Hollywood, i.e. it was not just reenacting Flying Circus material. Great interaction with the audience, some scenes take place IN the crowd and there is a karaoke session with The Lumberjack Song. I loved the cream pies. There are sketches, songs, dances, animations. And it is all very well linked (and well edited and produced for the DVD). Warm atmosphere. I had to laugh at the audience's fashion sense as well! (check out the glasses!!) Picture quality is very good and sound quality is excellent. Subtitles included if you wish. It lasts 1hr 17 min. I think it was good value at £3.89 including postage! Now Piss off!
on 23 January 2014
I had this on video back in the day and must have lost it at some point so I sneakily bought this for my husband as a Christmas present. He had never actually seen it before and we had a great night watching this together with a bottle of wine. Haven't laughed so much in ages, fantastic!
on 18 November 2015
Wonderful - A memorable collection of old and new material from a group at the height of their well-deserved fame.A glorious combination of wacky fudamentally guffaw-inducing material delightfully appreciated by an American audience to whom the show was delivered with customary care and planning...thoroughly recommended.
on 10 June 2014
I've been a fan of Monty P since my uni days in the 70s, when 300 students would cram into one room to watch it. I thought I'd seen every TV programme or movie they'd ever produced but in the build-up to this summer's (2014) show in London I discovered this old live show I'd previously missed.

A great mix of the old/familiar with some new stuff. As has been stated elsewhere, the live performance enables some bad language / sexual innuendo that wouldn't be possible on TV, but this is never done just for its own sake - it always enhances the humour.

I didn't know Americans loved Monty P this much, but the audience at the Hollywood Bowl (or, as Michael Palin called it, "the Ronald Reagan Memorial Bowl") seemed to laugh at all the same things as I did.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2008
I have always enjoyed this live concert along with the Drury Lane concerts. It included new work and is so clever and absolutely hilarious, even after all these years. Now a DVD is out and what can I say, it's brilliant. It is refreshing to see another aspect of these 'Hollywood Bowl' concerts and see the Python team adapting their sketches to an American audiance. A lot of this is missed on the audio recordings as there is so much visual aspect to this concert. Fantastic!
on 22 September 2014
This DVD has excellent footage of the 'Pythons' live show in America. The sound quality is excellent and there is even visual footage of them mingling in the audience. A good buy for those who would like a keepsake. The sketches are not original though.
on 28 March 2008
From beginning to end this live show is hilarious. It is a mix of the old and new - the old stuff is just as funny as it was when I first watched it and the new bits are every bit as good.

Live at the Hollywood Bowl seems to be a forgotten masterpiece. A collection of brilliant songs include Sit on my Face, I've Got Two Legs and the Antiracist Song. (and obviously The Lumberjack Song, but that goes without saying). There is also a very clever number called the Philosopher's Song as well as two numbers from Neil Innes.

One criticism is that a couple of times I thought the language went a bit too far into 'tasteless'. This, however, is nick-picking... or is it nit-picking?

I suppose there's only one more thing to say - BUY IT!!!!
on 16 August 2007
....Its finally arrived, I own this on Cd but to see it is another thing altogether.The funniest thing "Live" I have ever watched.
This was the guys at their best live in America and plus it has the "Nudge Nudge" sketch which was a firm favorite of Elvis himself.
Now stop reading this and order it at once....
Like a generation of fans, I love Python. This release is often overlooked, but it is well worth investigating.

The Pythons adapt their style slightly (whilst retaining that 'Englishness') to suit an American audience and the results are hilarious. Old sketches are wheeled out, adapted for stage and augmented by some entirely new material, all of which is highly successful.

The segways in the show linking one sketch to another are terrific and the pace they keep up is breath-taking given the costume changes required.

Neil Innes of Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band is also worth a mention. His style and sense of humour suits the show perfectly.

Highly recommended. A barrel of laughs for just over a quid on Amazon.
When listing Monty Python's greatest moments, this little gem seems to get constantly overlooked. Personally I love it - it was my first encounter with the gang, and it's what got me hooked.

Taking their best sketches from the small screen and hitting America with a live show, this was a risky enterprise. Just how would the carefully constructed TV sketches translate onto the stage? The answer is SUPERBLY! Interaction with a live audience lifts some old favourites to a new level, and material specially written for the show is quite excellent.

Many old favourites are here - the singing lumberjacks, Whizzo confectionary, I've got two legs, the argument, the ministry of funny walks (with John Cleese appearing to have triple jointed knees!) etc, etc. It mixes the totally weird and whacky sketches with short film inserts that show off the best of Terry Gilliam's animations, and some of the odder TV sketches. My personal favourite - the custard pie sketch - also demonstrates that as well as gifted zany off the wall comedians, the whole troupe also had perfect traditional comedy timing an were adept at slapstick, something not often associated with them.

All in all an excellent performance, one that really shows the whole team, including the often overlooked Carol Cleveland and Neil Innes, off at their best. This DVD presentation is fairly basic, with a mono soundtrackand a widescreen picture. The DVD claims it has been digitally remastered and restored, but there is little evidence of this. But perhaps I am expecting too much of what was a rather grainy live recording in the first place.

This is one of the best 85 minutes entertainment I have ever had, and I suggest you purchase it and treat yourself. You'll laugh till you cry, promise!