Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 October 2007
So I'm not a chillout expert, I own half of the ministry of sound chillout sessions, the Cafe Del Mar Best of and some Zero 7 stuff so I guess I'm new to this area but after reading Mr. Caine's article in a recent GQ I thought why not looks pretty cool.

I wasn't wrong theres some classics, remixed or left in their original state, and some tracks which I've never heard before. The tracks mix in fairly well with each other so the album gels pretty well into 1 flowing melody. And as he notes in the cover leaflet thing they all have some form of beat so can be used for different occasions; background, chilling out where ever, slow dancing etc.

There are from my view some stand out tracks; track 3 Silence is a remix to a classic which I'd not heard before, track 8 Sunshine's Better is just quality and track 14 Swollen is something that could actually send me to sleep (in a good way). My only gripe is that towards the end of the album, the genre changes a bit to old timey classics. This maybe a little harsh and completely down to my own personal tastes (I prefer the beats of new or remixed tracks) but that'd be why this is not a 5 star and instead a 4.

I really hope this is Michael's own input and that he has chosen the tracks, loves the genre etc. I only worry that this is just a clever marketing exercise by some record company to put a famous face on the cover in order to boost sales, who knows its probably my overly sceptical imagination!
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2007
Perhaps he's not the first name, which might spring to mind when considering the chillout genre, but venerable British actor Sir Michael Caine (Alfie, The Italian Job, The Prestige) has apparently been collecting this music for fifteen years and has "hundreds of CDs", not to mention thousands of his own compilation tapes

So it seemed reasonable for Universal to enlist this elderly expert to suggest tracks for what its in effect a chillout primer - cross-fading classics of the genre like Felix da Housecat's take on Nina Simone's Sinnerman with mainstream songs like Eva Cassidy's Sting-penned Fields Of Gold and altogether odder moments, like Get Carter composer Roy Budd's loungecore excursion Hurry To Me.

Every genre has its clunky moments, and the biggest piece of nonsense here is Craig Preuss's Jupiter, which twists Holst's big theme from The Planets painfully out of shape. Magnet's version of Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay (done as a cheesy duet with Gemma Hayes) also veers towards embarrassing.

Making up for that are sublime cuts like Silence from Delerium with Sarah McLachlan and Chrissie Hynde's gorgeous take on Donna Summer anthem State Of Independence - both almost too passionate to be called chillout. Stan Getz's Street Tattoo adds a Latin twist and folkie John Martyn's Sunshine's Better has a gloriously summery feel.

It's arguable whether Sir Michael's name will attract many new listeners to the genre, but the association certainly yields what is probably the perfect title for a compilation such as this.
on 29 June 2012
This is great music, to relax or dance on both slow and quicker tempos. Some are even so well selected that you don't notice you've switched to the next track ! A favorite for any occasion. I simply can't stop listening to it.
on 28 July 2010
I really liked this and if it is to be believed he did select the tracks himself - great chill out stuff but one that you can still drive to. Well cained Sir Michael!
Really good chill out songs I heard this CD in a shop and then I could find it on here, a bit more than I wanted to pay but great anyway.
on 11 March 2013
Hard to find as this isn't made anymore but well worth the price, perfect christmas present from an electronica/chillout era.