Price:£18.59+ Free shipping

VINE VOICEon 2 September 2009
-- Update 15 January 2010
Our son is coming up to nine months old and (apologies if you have stumbled on this review by accident but I assume most readers are new parents) the "contents" of his nappies can be quite eye watering now that he is munching his way through steak, bananas, porridge, liver and other delights. I stand by all that I said below and would like to add that I am very, very glad I did not try to make do with the non-glorified version each time I take a hermetically sealed tube of evil out to the bin...

-- Original Review
I was sceptical about this device when it was recommended to us by a friend - it seemed like nothing more than a glorified bucket (such as the nappy bin from Mothercare we had been using in my baby son's early weeks) but I am now very much converted (even though it is basically a glorified bucket...).

There is nothing especially complex about this bin but what it does it does very well. It works by providing you with a "sausage skin" tube of strong plastic which lines the bin. By tying knots in this tube, one produces a hygenic lining for the bin itself and also a sealed bag for used nappies.

- cartridges are easy to fit, remove and replace
- nappies are completely enclosed in plastic even as you push them into the device so no mess escapes and the bin never needs cleaning
- nappies are sealed away behind a spring-loaded lid elimating odours
- once the bin is full it is easy to open it, use the built-in cutter to cut and tie off a full bag of nappies which is now completely sealed and then tie a new knot to carry on
- the plastic is strong and has never let us down

You can decide for yourself if this is value for money. You will need to empty the bin once every few days (in our experience with a four month old) and you will need to purchase a three pack refill once every 5-6 weeks. On Amazon this will cost you about £10. If spending a couple of pounds a week is worth it for the convenience outlined above then this is for you but, of course, if it is not then a (non-glorified) bucket with carrier bag lining will perform the same function without the simple elegance this product affords.
0Comment|191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2008
We got this nappy wrapper free, but even if we had to pay money for it, it'd be worth it. It's easy to use, cartridges are easy to change and it contains the stinky nappy smell brilliantly. Have only found one place to buy replacement cartridges however.

My only gripe - now our daughter is getting older and wearing bigger nappies, we find we have to change the bag every week, but as it's not difficult, it's not a problem. One cartridge lasts us about three weeks now, but they're only £10 for 3, so it's not bad.
on 26 June 2009
If you've ordered this as part of a promotional offer which includes a free refill cassette please be aware that the free cassette can be found in the nappy bin under the white lid at the top of the bin and not in the base of the bin. The lid can easily be pulled from the top of the nappy bin. I didn't realise this and thought it had been omitted from the order.
on 10 July 2009
Like many other customers we failed to find the free cassette on first perusal. Amazon advised us to contact Angelcare directly. They responded immediately,advisng that in fact the cassette was underneath the lid and could be accessed by removing the lid from behind. We couldn't ask for better customer service than that!
on 13 February 2011
This bin is handy for keeping dirty nappies sealed, however I don't find it better than using nappies bags. You still have to push the dirty napy down the bin, and if it's full of poo then the poo goes on your hands. And then when you empty the bin, it's pretty disgusting to look at. Besides, the refills are fairly expensive. So in the end I don't use it anymore and use nappy bags instead.
on 22 April 2008
we Have been usuing this system for some time now (10 weeks) and I can honestly say it is miles better than the old one we used to have.

it does what it say's on the box.

You can use it with only One hand, this makes it much better than it's closest competitor.

we have found that although they say you get 28 day use out of the cassett you might get more maybe the whole month. I know we have been. changed it just last night for the 2nd time and yes it get's used every day all day....

my personal recomendation is even if you're not having a baby someone you know might be, this would make an ideal gift for them.........or you can use it for other things you dont want stinking you're house out. like waste food, or even in the bathroom.....

well worth the money I paid for it. and I recomend it
on 15 May 2009
I got a coupon in my Bounty hospital pack, you take to Argos and get this item FREE. Loved it, very handy and stops the nappies smelling in your waste bin.

I have 3 children aged almost 9 yrs, almost 8 yrs & just turned 1 yr. With the eldest 2 I never bought a nappy disposal system as they were so expensive but with my youngest as I said I got this one free and never looked back.

They do smell a little when you open the lid so I popped a cheap car air freshener inside the bottom and when the scent starts running out I just pop a few drops of tee tree oil onto it. Makes a difference!

The refills are avaliable on Amazon and I have found they are actually cheaper than in Argos, plus Amazon do a FREE super saver delivery!!!
on 22 September 2013
I was initially skeptical when my wife suggested we buy this. On the face of it, this is quite a lot of money to spend when you have perfectly good bins lying around. But what this bin does is to eliminate the stench of a set of twin's dirty nappies (note - I'm sure that this will work on all babies, not just twins ;-))
Once you've worked out how to fill the bin with it's bags (and the instructions are printed on the actual bin), it's simple to use. With our twins, we are using a cartridge about every two weeks. We have a friend with a single baby (not sure if that's the right way of putting it), and she uses a cartridge a month.
Warning Dads ('cos this is Dad's work), it still smells when you have to empty the bag. The one criticism of this bin is that when you close it it is sometimes difficult to line the two halves up. But it’s a minor niggle.
Parents - buy this bin, your nose will thank you.
on 17 February 2011
Bought this nappy bin just before baby was born. Admittedly, before I weaned him, the nappy bin kept odours at bay, but now that he is nearly 11 months and on a varied, solid diet and is producing some really stinky nappies, the bin just isn't man enough to keep the odours in. For a start, when you put a new nappy in, it lets out the odour of the nappies already in there and makes the room smell. Much better off going for a nappy disposal system like the Tommee Tippee sangenic plusTommee Tippee Sangenic Hygiene Plus Starter Pack, which indiviually wraps and seals each nappy when you put it in, which we have now switched to. It got to the stage with the angelcare one, that we would go to put Felix down for his nap, and the room would smell of dirty nappies, which is not pleasant for him. Very disappointed, but I guess you get what you pay for. In my opinion, it is much more worthwhile spending a bit more money on a better product.
on 13 September 2010
When someone first suggested I got a nappy bin, I laughed, saying it was just a glorified bucket. But after a week of terrible weather and a new born baby and going out to the wheelie bin outside everytime I changed a nappy I decided it wasn't very fun and that I would try a nappy bin. For it's initial price on amazon, I thought I would try the Angelcare Bin, as if I didn't like it it was not much money lost.

It's brilliant, I empty it about 2/3 times a week. My baby is in size 3 nappies and a whole cassett has lasted me about 3 weeks. I would recommend this product to anyone, it is smell free, more economic and environmentally friendly than nappy bags and saves you getting wet by going out in the rain every time you change a nappy!!!

My friends have used shops own brand nappy bins and commented on how the still smelled , I have not smelt the dirty nappies at all even when I empty the bin.

See one answered question