5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the Forerunner 50/405
Garmin Heart Rate Monitor For the Forerunner 50/405

I've got a Forerunner 610 and this connected first time and I was able to then customise the Heart Rate data I'd like collecting & displaying.

Published on 15 Aug. 2012 by VinnyN

2.0 out of 5 stars Good whilst it worked
I used this with my Edge 500 cycling computer.... At first, everything went well, paired the monitor with the computer and it sent HR data that was visible on screen.... Perfect! However, after about 6 weeks of daily use, the monitor started to send intermittent readings to the computer and you would have to pull the strap away from chest and mess around and it would...
Published on 16 April 2013 by Matthew Conway

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the Forerunner 50/405, 15 Aug. 2012
VinnyN (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Heart Rate Monitor For Garmin Fitness Products including Forerunner, Edge and Vivofit (Electronics)
Garmin Heart Rate Monitor For the Forerunner 50/405

Would be a good idea to rename the product description as it is *not* only for the Forerunner 50/405; in fact the box clearly states it is compatible with
Dakota® 20
GPSMAP® 62s,62sc,62st,62stc
Oregon® 450,450t,550,550t
Montana® 650t,650,600

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Android phones, 13 Sept. 2011
Extremely happy. I use it to connect to my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. It was recognized by the ANT+ driver downloaded from Android Market without any problems. And works with Endomondo and SportyPal Pro. Fits comfortably on my chest and feels robust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect addition to my Garmin 405, 22 Feb. 2012
I was given the Garmin 405 as a gift over 2 years ago and can say with complete honesty, it was the only reason I managed to do a 1:53 time in the Royal Parks Half Marathon. Knowing how fast and how slow I was going through the course of the race made it easy to stick to my target of sub 2 hours. My recent purchase of the the Heart Rate Monitor was for a different reason. I am doing the Haute Route ski tour this March and wanted to make sure that with all my cardio training I was actually working hard, as opposed to telling myself I was. I am of slim build (size 8 to 10) with a narrow middle, so when I purchased this I was worried that I would be too small and it would slip down. I am very pleased to report that with a little bit of saliva and with it slightly tucked under my bra (and I'm sure I wouldn't even have to do this but I like having it feel snug), it sits perfectly on my frame. Admittedly, I have to adjust the strap to be the smallest setting possible and I guess, with increased use the elastic might stretch but for the time being, it's awesome. It does not rub or feel uncomfortable, in fact, I'm sure I'd forget it was there if I wasn't jumping into the shower after a workout. I found it useful to google how to sync heart rate monitor with Garmin before using it. I watched a 30 second video which showed me which buttons to press on my Garmin so that I would know to try and find the heart rate monitor. The first time I used it I was running with my boyfriend who also had his hear rate monitor on, so we separated from each other at the start of the run to ensure that we were each syncing to our own heart rate monitors. Since the initial sync, my Garmin pics it up as soon as I go into training mode, with the GPS on or off (for treadmill running). Having a Garmin and Heart rate monitor combo and actually knowing how to use all the functions (believe me, I'm a girl with terrible gadget skills and it took me a while to work it out) has improved my exercise regime remarkably! I can't wait to use the Heart Rate Monitor and Garmin on my Haute Route to see how many calories I'm burning and what my average heart rate is over the 100km's! I even use the Heart Rate Monitor when I'm sitting on the couch to see how low I can get it. It's very addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heart rate monitor, 10 Mar. 2011
Barry E. Lippard (ORPINGTON, KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Garmin is a great heart rate monitor, no messing setting it up, and ready to go out of box.
The battery lasts about 2 years i would say with normal use, 6 X 1 hours a week. And synchs
instantely with my Garmin 305. I think they say battery life is 3 years but i got 2. Its a standard
battery easy to replace. The hitch i had with this, and this is my second Garmin is DONT wear Nylon waterproof tops directly over the monitor wear a cotton top and then a waterproof top over that as it buils static and interferes
with the monitor. i was lightly jogging warming up and had a heart rate of 245 !! it was really about 90.
This only happens sometmes but never if you dont wear it directly on monitor. I give the monitor 5 STARS, great value and reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with Etrex 30, 23 May 2013
I've been using this with the Etrex 30 while cycling for a few months now and it works a treat!
You just need to damp the two rubber pads either side of the centre bulge with a wet finger and it connects straight away.

I upload cycling data to Endomondo & Garmin and they both add the HR graph to my workout automatically

One tip though... when the battery went a bit low recently, I changed the battery and found the unit wasn't connecting any more. I found a forum on the Garmin site where someone said if it fails to pair, take the battery out of the HR strap, short the HR monitor battery terminals for a few seconds with a piece of wire, paperclip etc and it'll clear the memory. I did that, refitted the new button cell and it paired fine again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It can't get much better..., 24 Dec. 2009
LMD (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Heart-rate monitors units are fairly simple things. They strap around your chest to hold a couple of electrodes in contact with your skin to detect the beating of your heart, transmitting this information wirelessly to a nearby receiver.

The Garmin offering is no different in it's function. But it is different in a couple of other ways. The piece with all the brains in is longer than some other brands, making up "half" of the band that the complete unit forms around your chest. It's made from a pre-shaped soft plastic, with "ribbed" electrode pads built in. I've found this shape to be very comfortable, fitting neatly round my chest and staying in place with no bother. In fact it's so comfortable that I really don't notice I'm wearing it, even after 14 solid hours of cycling.

I use it with a Garmin Edge and have never had any problems with signal, it usually syncs with the main unity within 10 seconds. When riding in a bunch with some other users, it doesn't suffer from cross-talk staying paired with my own Edge and keeping my heart rate to myself.

The battery life is very good, I found that it needed replacing after maybe a year - during which it got used around 6 - 8 hours a week.

If I've got one gripe it's that Garmin went and invented their own standard rather than licensing Polar's. So until Garmin's ANT+ Sport standard gathers momentum it's unlikely that this unit will work with the majority of exercise equipment in Gyms etc where Polar still reigns supreme.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit, but...., 17 Dec. 2008
This is an essential part of the Garmin fitness range of watches (specifically the Forerunner 50/405).

It sends wireless signals to the watch, and the data is stored until you upload it to your PC, and into the Garmin charting/graphing application. You can then see your heart rate, and the heart rate zones, displayed on the screen.

One thing though, the price of this alone is quite high, especially as Amazon sell it bundled with a Forerunner 50 watch for less!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..if a little expensive, 9 Jun. 2013
I unfortunately lost my last one and needed another for my Garmin 500 and 310XT. My last one was about 4 years old and was brilliant, it had a change of battery but otherwise never had a problem. It always linked up seamlessly with the devices.
I was just surprised that it was so costly to replace, it isn't exactly cutting edge technology now and not expensive components... But not much option

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly but good, 27 Mar. 2009
Mr. Ian A. Vesey "grayfield18" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I have had a few heart rate monitors and have really liked the polar ones i have had before. The last gave out and so i was looking round with a view to getting the Suunto T4. I then saw this and having commenced a fair bit of running i went for this. I didn't like this at first. To be fair the HRM and the syncing for the GPS started really easily but i could not get it to sync with the computer ever. At that stage i also had a MAC and the product did not support MAC. I continued to use and every now and again tried to sync with my laptop - first XP then vista. No luck. A few days ago saw my mate who has an older model and reminded me that Garmin have now released a MAC interface. Low and behold it works like a reasonable dream. I do now really like this watch. It is still fiddly and does silly things, but mainly it works well and you can see your data, see a map overlay with a real map and look at splits etc etc.

Overall a good HRM and i have had it over a year and touch wood still going strong in the battery department. And i have done well over a 100 runs in that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect training tool, 25 Mar. 2010
Mr. J. H. Baker "Jamesbaker1979" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
I would recommend that all people that are considering buying a Forerunner 50/405 do so with both the heart rate monitor and footpod.

The heart rate monitor has already made a big difference to my training.

The HRM was easy to pair with my Forerunner 50 and is also comfortable to wear.