Colour: Silver|Size: Large|Change

on 29 December 2011
I first saw these in a Swedish design store (not the one you would first think of), and got them through Amazon when I returned to the UK. They have quite transformed my messy loft/office, which now looks rather professional and well organised. Super for small spaces that need some organising and where a conventional bookshelf would be too large. Easy to put up (but be careful and use a spirit level to make sure they are straight), and handle about 10 books apiece.
on 28 January 2010
Easy to put up. Screws included (though not wall plugs.) Use a spirit level on the horizontal or your books will be squint.
To give you an idea of its size, my lowest book (the one that stays there permanently) is a hardback gardening book measuring 9"x12".
At the moment mine holds a Beano annual, IKEA catalogue, National Geo mag, Chambers dictionary, crossword book and three other paperbacks. And I think any more would be a bit unstable.
Really pleased with its simplicity. Wish I'd invented it myself.
33 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2014
Beware - this item does not fit standard paperbacks. I'd read other reviews on this sort of shelf that mentioned sizing. So I measured the width of the books (spine to page edge) and deliberately chose this Umbra SMALL. However, when you actually place the first book onto the shelf, the 'hooks' that hold the cover in place are about 2mm too short to grip the back cover and are too deep to take just the thin cover. If you try to fix the cover + a few pages, the situation is worse because this pushes the book further forward - away from the hooks. In desperation, with pliers, I squeezed one of the hooks to make the gap smaller and push it nearer the front edge of the bookshelf. This sort of worked but cracked the white paint covering which then flaked off, leaving silver metal. Where the shelves are located, it doesn't show and my 10-year-old isn't too fussy. But at £23.90 for 2 shelves, this was a real shame. The product looks and feels fantastic but simply is the wrong size for UK books! Delivery was quick but I hadn't expected 'signed for' so hadn't arranged to be in.
on 10 January 2014
I use this for storing my computer games, my nephew was round the other week and was mesmerized as to how they were floating. I naturally told him that it was in fact magic and he should stop asking questions or the dementors would get him...
on 23 February 2012
This was received the next day. It took me 15 minutes to gather the tools and fix the bookshelf. It works as described and it now holds 8 library books no problem. Weight is not a problem, and it could take many more before any bending.
Decent quality, no sharp edges, easy to fix to the wall but if I had a complaint it would be that finding the bottom book in the stack can be tricky. Because of the depth of the bottom plate a "standard" hardback isn't deep enough for the cover to catch on the "hidden" lower lip.

On the other hand it's an excuse to trawl around bargain bookstores to find something suitable. My tip is pick a book you'd never read in a million years and bamboozle house guests when they see you've taken an interest in "Knitting For Profit".
on 11 December 2012
A stylish alternative for book storage if, like me, you have an overflowing bookcase and a pokey room. Or, just a stylish bookshelf if you're hip and trendy (also like me).

Easy to assemble (as long as you have a drill) and looks great. The simplicity of this product is brilliant. I love it and am debating getting another one.
on 6 December 2010
What a great idea!!
The simplest of designs to create a floating bookshelf. It's quite a sturdy folded metal sheet, with a clever 'hook' to hold the first hardback book cover - this creates the shelf base, on which you place your chosen books.
Love the design - now have two of these shelves on the wall!
on 22 February 2011
These are so easy to put up, took about ten minutes! They look amazing, I bought a mixture of the small and large sizes and they look great all scattered on the wall. I want to buy more! Great product!!
on 5 October 2010
Superb little bookshelf that holds quite a few books. I've currently got about 8 fairly thick and heavy books on it and it's fine. The bookshelf looks brilliant on the wall and very modern and it seems as if the books are simply floating on the wall. I like the product so much I have ordered another one to go underneath the current one.