5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure
Published on 2 Jan 2008 by op

3.0 out of 5 stars Box-set fatigue sets in; oh no!
Published on 19 April 2009 by Mr. Mark A. Meldon

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure, 2 Jan 2008
op "Olfreda" (Buckinghamshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
This box is worth buying for the Barbirolli disks alone (if you don't have them). Then there are the Groves recordings of King Olaf, Caractacus, and minor orchestral works, not to mention Boult's Apostles and Kingdom (never bettered in my view), and many other things. I suppose I am biased. I cut my teeth on many of these recordings, when they were first released on LP. Any disappointments for me? Perhaps. The final disk of Elgar conducting Elgar struck me as a thrown-together assortment of bits and pieces, a missed opportunity, but that's a small quibble given the sheer quality and quantity of fine things in this box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Content Information, 10 July 2011

CD3 [63:30]
Falstaff: Symphonic Study in C minor Op. 68
Cockaigne (In London Town) - Concert Overture Op. 40
Froissart - Concert Overture Op. 19
Hallé Orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra, New Philharmonia Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli

CD4 [73:17]
Variations on an Original Theme 'Enigma' Op. 36, Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 - 5, Serenade in E minor Op. 20
Philharmonia Orchestra, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Sinfonia of London/Sir John Barbirolli

CD5 [53:55]
Sea Pictures Op. 37, Cello Concerto in E minor Op. 85
Dame Janet Baker, Jacqueline du Pré, London Symphony Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli

CD6 [74:36]
Violin Sonata in E minor Op. 82, Violin Concerto in B minor Op. 61
Hugh Bean, David Parkhouse, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Charles Groves

CD7 [69:33]
Nursery Suite, Severn Suite Op. 87, Suite from The Crown of India Op. 66, Coronation March Op. 65
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Charles Groves

CD8 [62:29]
Organ Sonata [No. 1] in G Op. 28, The Wand of Youth - Suite No. 1 Op. 1a, The Wand of Youth - Suite No. 2 Op. 1b
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra/Vernon Handley

CD9 [52:51]
Three Bavarian Dances, Chanson de nuit Op. 15 No. 1, Chanson de matin Op. 15 No. 2, Fantasia and Fugue in C minor Op. 86, Overture in D minor
In the South (Alassio) - Concert Overture Op. 50
London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult

CD10 [49:46]
Carillon Op. 75, Piano Sonata No. 2 in B flat minor Op. 35, Grania and Diarmid Op. 42, Polonia Op. 76, Caractacus Op. 35, Imperial March Op. 32, Empire March (1924)
David Bell, London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult

CD11 [62:28]
Beau Brummel, Dream Children Op. 43, Salut d'amour Op. 12, Minuet Op. 21, May Song, Rosemary, Romance for Bassoon and Orchestra Op. 62, Sevillana Op. 7, Sérénade lyrique, Mazurka Op.10 No. 1, Serenade mauresque Op. 10 No. 2, Contrasts Op. 10 No. 3, Carissima, Mina
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Lawrence Collingwood, Northern Sinfonia of England/Sir Neville Marriner

CD12 [77:09]
Piano Quintet in A minor Op. 84, String Quartet in E minor Op. 83, Serenade, Concert Allegro Op. 46
John Ogdon, Allegri Quartet, Music Group of London

CD13 [38:49]
The Dream of Gerontius Op. 38 - Part I
CD14 [70:40]
The Dream of Gerontius Op. 38 - Part II
Janet Baker (mezzo); Richard Lewis (tenor); Kim Borg (bass); Halle Choir; Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus; Ambrosian Singers/Halle Orchestra/Sir John Barbirolli

CD15 [78:00]
The Apostles Op. 49 - Part I
CD16 [57:38]
The Apostles Op. 49 - Part II
The Apostles and the Kingdom - An Illustrated Introduction by Sir Adrian Boult (2006 remaster)
Sheila Armstrong (soprano); Helen Watts (alto); Robert Tear (tenor); Benjamin Luxon (bass); Clifford Grant (bass); John Carol Case (bass); Choir of Downe House School; London Philharmonic Choir; London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult

CD17 [72:19]
The Kingdom Op. 51
CD18 [64:05]
The Kingdom Op. 51
Coronation Ode Op. 44
Op. 51: Margaret Price (soprano); Yvonne Minton (alto); Alexander Young (tenor); John Shirley-Quirk (bass); London Philharmonic Choir; London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult
Op. 44: Dame Felicity Lott (soprano); Alfreda Hodgson (alto); Richard Morton (tenor); Stephen Roberts (bass); Cambridge University Musical Society Chorus; Choir of King's College Cambridge; New Philharmonia Orchestra; Band of the Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall/Sir Philip Ledger

CD19 [71:12]
The Light of Life (Lux Christi) Op. 29

CD20 [72:21]
The Black Knight Op. 25, Scenes from The Saga of King Olaf Op. 30 - Part I

CD21 [48:43]
Scenes from The Saga of King Olaf Op. 30 - Part II, Spanish Serenade Op. 23, The Snow Op. 26 No. 1, Fly, singing bird Op. 26 No. 2

CD22 [54:19]
Caractacus Op. 35 - Scenes I & II

CD23 [59:01]
Caractacus Op. 35 - Scene III

CD24 [46:10 ]
The Banner of St George Op. 33, Great is the Lord (Psalm 48) Op. 67, Te Deum and Benedictus Op. 34
Stephen Roberts, London Symphony Chorus, Northern Sinfonia of England/Richard Hickox

CD25 [46:10]
The Spirit of England Op. 80, Give unto the Lord (Psalm 29) Op. 74, O hearken thou (Offertory) Op. 64, Land of Hope and Glory (arr. Arthur Fagge)
Dame Felicity Lott, London Symphony Chorus, Northern Sinfonia of England/Richard Hickox

CD26 [76:10]
Ave verum corpus Op. 2 No. 1, Ave Maria Op. 2 No. 2, Ave maris stella Op. 2 No. 3, 11 Vesper Voluntaries Op. 14, Angelus Op. 56 No. 1, Give unto the Lord Op. 74, O hearken thou Op. 64,
Te Deum and Benedictus Op. 34, Organ Sonata [No. 1] in G Op. 28
Worcester Cathedral Choir, Harry Bramma, Christopher Robinson, Herbert Sumsion

CD27 [55:19]
The Music Makers Op. 69, The Sanguine Fan Op. 81
Dame Janet Baker, London Philharmonic Choir, London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult

CD28 [70:40]
The Starlight Express - Incidental Music Op. 78
Valerie Masterson, Derek Hammond-Stroud, London Philharmonic Orchestra/Vernon Handley

CD29 [72:38]
Scenes from the Bavarian Highlands Op. 27, Pleading Op. 48 No. 1, Was it some golden star? Op. 59 No. 3, Oh, soft was the song Op. 59 No. 1, Twilight Op. 59 No. 6, The Torch Op. 60 No. 1
The River Op. 60 No. 2, The Shower Op. 71 No. 1, My love dwelt in a northern land, Five Part-Songs from the Greek Anthology Op. 45, The Wanderer (1923), The Reveille Op. 54,
4 Choral Songs Op. 53 - Deep in my Soul, Jerusalem, The National Anthem (arr. Elgar)

CD30 [76:55]
Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 - 5, The Dream of Gerontius Op. 38 - Prelude, Serenade in E minor Op. 20, Five Piano Improvisations, Salut d'amour Op. 12, Chanson de nuit Op. 15 No. 1
Chanson de matin Op. 15 No. 2, Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 in D Op. 39 No. 1 - Trio, Cockaigne (In London Town) - Concert Overture Op. 40
BBC Symphony Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, Royal Albert Hall Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra, New Symphony Orchestra, Sir Edward Elgar

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all Elgar Fans, 20 Jan 2010
A. Billington (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
To find almost all of Elgars recorded music played by the best orchestras under top conductors is like a dream come true. Despite the age of some of the recordings the quality is fantastic.
I cannot recommend too highly to Elgar lovers. To everyone else, sorry, it's not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recordings, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
I've not had time to listen to it all yet, but having already owned the Vaughan Williams Collector's edition I had high hopes for this and was not disappointed. If you love English music, then this is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 Feb 2009
Mr. P. Bailey - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
This box set is really superb value for money, with so many interesting lesser known pieces, alongside excellent recordings of the popular ones, that it should keep any Elgar fan occupied and entertained for more hours than I've yet found!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
So much wonderful music, that I am sure it is going to keep me occupied for a very long while.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 cds and all Elgar's work, 10 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
This satisfies my desire to know the complete works of Elgar. Thirty cds will take me a long time to get through so far so enjoyable. Definitely a great collection for any Elgar lover to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elgar en entier, 16 July 2009
Berges "maxi music" (paris) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
Une intégrale incontournable pour qui veut dépasser les trop bien connues Pomp et Circumstance, des interprètes remarquables depuis la direction d'orchestre jusqu'aux formations de chambre et aux choeurs et chanteurs. Un produit rare mÍme s'il est un peu cher.

3.0 out of 5 stars Box-set fatigue sets in; oh no!, 19 April 2009
Mr. Mark A. Meldon (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
I'm beginning to find myself overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of music in the recent batch of EMI box-set issues. Maybe I'm being unfair, but just when will anyone ever find the time to play through all 30 CDs in the set, without forgetting where they were? Although it's perfectly true that this set contains dozens of great recorded performances, I confess that it's already beginning to collect dust on my shelves!

That's my peculiar problem, I suppose, but we are now getting into the situation where traditional record companies will bundle up back catalogue and sell it very cheaply (or licence it to Brilliant Classics) to generate some cash. This is, I figure, to fight off downloading (something I don't personally do)and to prop up their pension schemes but, I have to ask, who is this set for?

30 CDs of Elgar is a lot of Elgar, and the presentation is pretty poor, with a card sleeve containing the CDs in paper envelopes with plastic windows and a frankly utterly inadequate booklet. All the stuff you need is here, of course, but its hard to find your way around. Surely most Elgar enthusiasts will have most of these recordings anyway and, dare I say, not all of his work is great (I'm taking a risk in saying this, but I find quite a lot pretty dull). So, I ask again, what was EMI's intended audience for this set? Maybe most collectors would prefer to obtain the core recordingds in the EMI "Great Recordings of the Century" or "British Classics" series; these could easily be sold at £3-5 each and they generally come with better notes (well, its important to me!).

Before you ask, I picked this set up (and the Vaughan Williams - I might get around to listening to this before I reach the Celestial City, or wherever I deserve) for small change when a well-known high street retailer folded a few months ago!

Am I mad, or does anyone else agree with my self-diagnosis of increasing fatigue when faced with levithian boxed sets?

2.0 out of 5 stars Edwared Elgar, 8 Jun 2009
David Miley - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Collector's Edition (Audio CD)
Hmmmn! Let us not concern ourselves with boxes, tiny notes, card sleeves, not having the time to listen to it all because there are too many discs and general presentation. Go to the Hereford end of the Malvern Hills, to "British Summer Camp" and play Caractacus through your ipod. There will be no looking back, sleeve notes will no longer be your concern. I had the pleasure of hearing it recorded by Charles Groves and chatting with him afterwards (as he was wont to do with concert goers) over a pint of Higsons bitter, in the Philharmonic Pub across the road from the concert hall in Liverpool in 1977. So, my message to you all is, live it!! Don't collect it.

The Collector's Edition
The Collector's Edition by Edward Elgar (Audio CD - 2007)