5.0 out of 5 stars By Chris Gilroy
Published on 28 Mar 2008 by C. Gilroy

2.0 out of 5 stars hg10
Published on 15 Mar 2008 by G. Akos

5.0 out of 5 stars By Chris Gilroy, 28 Mar 2008
This review is from: Canon HG10 Ultra-Compact High Definition HDD Camcorder (10x Optical Zoom, 2.7" widescreen Multiangle Vivid LCD) (Electronics)
This Canon camcorder really is a quality piece of kit. I have used a Panasonic SD5, but would put the HG10 well above it in terms of build quality, features, and video output. Some reviewers have criticised the ergonomics but after using the Canon over a short period of time I find my hands seem automatically find the start stop button and that lovely zoom rocker - no other camcorder in this price range seems to have such a great zoom rocker.
I was a little concerned that camcorderinfo gave the 25p mode a bad right up and was keen to do my own assessment. I videoed a fast moving train travelling at about 60-70mph and played it back on the camcorders LCD - the shot looked absolutely smooth -non of the jerkyness that camcorderinfo reviewer reported. I then loaded this onto my computer and played it with WMP, sure enough it was jerky and the sound was broken . I then loaded it into Studio 11+ and played it in the monitor window - it was as smooth as silk. What is happening is that WMP is using Pinnacles codec for MT2 files badly. WMP cannot, on its own play Mt2 files and is borrowing the codec. I think the reviewer should have realised something like this was happening - he is after all an expert?
For about 90% of the time I'm sure I will use the camcorder in Auto mode, and so far I have been really impressed with its performance. I took a video of the inside of our house just moving from room to room and the shots are extremely impressive - the Panasonic could not match the Canon for low light performance. In average daylight the shots are fantastic - very sharp and good rich colour.
One of the main features I particulary like is the ability to shoot using the LCD or the viewfinder - how many camcorders have both. I find it much easier to hold a steady shot with the viewfinder, combine this with the excellent optical image stabalizer and your on to a winner.
Concerns regarding the resolution of 1440 x 1080 are being over played. the camcorder records at 1920 x 1080 but compresses to 1440. when played it fills the TV screen to full HD - its all about what you see on screen and you won't be disappointed. Despite the fact there are new models being introduced by all major manufacturers I decided to purchase the HG10 after extensive research - somehow Canon seem to have got it right with this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars hg10, 15 Mar 2008
G. Akos - See all my reviews
This is a really good quality,quite a sophisticated camcorder.I usually use the xp-setting which gives me 9Mbps dataflow and minimum 7 hours recording time.Of course u can opt for Hxp setting for 15Mbps but if u do not have a bigger display than 32" u won't need to use it as it's impossible to see the difference.Positive : Really superb pict quality,min 1H battery life,easy-to-use,great features,quiet operation. Negative: little heavy,could be smaller,electronic lens cover-just one more thing to go wrong. Important! This camcorder can only shot in 1440x1080i. Newer models do 1920x1080p.
ps.:I had opportunity to compare the pic quality with newer models and I can confirm that there is no significant difference between them.
Update. After 2 years in perfect working order,this canon stopped working. The canon-repair guys said it would be £300 to have it fixed... No comment. No more Canon purchase.. Rubish...Very disappointing

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac friendly Camcorder, 20 Feb 2008
I have always been a Sony man but I decided to buy this camcorder because it is very Mac friendly. I was able to import footage directly into iMovie 08 without any problems.
It is a HighDef AVCHD camcorder with a 40GB hard drive which can take from 5h 30m to 15h of recording depending on the recording mode. It also features a 3mp still camera function. It fits into the hand very nicely and comes with a wireless controller, USB cable, component cable, stereo video cable and shoulder strap.
Shooting is straightforward using the LCD screen whereas using the viewfinder is harder as it is small and if you wear spectacles, forget it. It features a Mic input port, a mini HDMI port, and a miniSD card port for still photos although a miniSD card is not included.
For Windows users, a Corel application is supplied along with Canon Backup software.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 4 July 2009
I bought this camcorder to replace my Sony Handycam and as expected the quality is so much better than the Sony. It's very easy to find your way around the settings etc.

I would recommend purchasing the wide angle lens for this camcorder (Canon WD-H43 Wide Converter - bought via Amazon from British Bargains) as close up shots are almost impossible to achieve. It makes the camcorder a bit more 'top heavy' but the difference it makes, makes it worth the slightly heavier weight to carry around.

I would also recommend you purchase a double capacity battery Canon BP-2L24H, also purchased from Amazon (MEXXTRONICS)

The zoom lens is excellent and travels a very long way!

The editing software that comes with the camera makes the DVD's look far more professional and are fun to use.

On the downside, the instructions that were given to download the software were slightly incorrect and I could not download from the camcorders hard drive, but a bit of tinkering about made it possible.

To sum it up, this camcorder is a TOP QUALITY item and I would rate it 10/10.

I hope this helps.

Kim :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very usable and great image quality, 14 April 2008
NickG (Milton Keynes UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I got this as a more portable alternative to my Canon XH-A1. It's small but solid (feels very well built) and very easy to use. I'm especially pleased with the excellent viewfinder, which I often prefer to the LCD (which is itself pretty good), and the 3.5mm external mic connector (uncommon on consumer camcorders).

Image quality is excellent, and there's a high degree of control. I'd give this 5 stars but for 2 shortcomings: first, I always prefer to have a complete manual control option (goes back to my still photo days). Although you do have a lot of flexibility, there is no pure manual control of exposure. Second, I still have some reservations about the hard disk/AVCHD approach. It means you have to start thinking about how to archive footage, and it's not as easy to edit. Longer term, I expect some development of cards to be the way to go

Note for Mac users (includes me): do *not* buy this if you have a PPC Mac. Editing software doesn't support AVCHD on non-Intel Macs

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon HG10 (refurbed - Like New), 17 Jun 2009
Houghy (Cramlington, Northumberland) - See all my reviews
I bought my HG10 through Amazon. Its was a refurbished example form Harrison Cameras. I have to say, If I wasn't told, I'd not have known. The Camera is fantastic for the novice that I am, but has some features that I will learn, and will suit the more advanced user also. Harrisons were great too. I spoke to them direct before purchasing and they answered all my questions confidently and professionally. I can certainly recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar!!, 16 May 2009
Stratman (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
I recently bought the HG10 as most of the features fitted what I was looking for and, more importantly, my budget. I'm not a pro videographer although I was a pro photographer until relatively recently. The HG10 produces nice clean, crisp images although, like others, does fall off somewhat under low light. I don't mind the weight, in fact I quite like it, having been brought up on professional medium format stills cameras, none of which are particularly light!

Overall I think the HG10 certainly warrants 4 and a bit stars: I have an iMac with iMovie '09 and all I have to do is connect the two together with the USB cable and put the camcorder into "Play" mode and away it goes. Having an internal hard drive does mean a slow download as it happens in, more or less, real time but that isn't important to me. I don't need to install any software to edit the downloaded movies as the editing tools within iMovie '09 are perfectly adequate and for music soundtracks you have iTunes built in and if you want to create your own music you can use GarageBand as well - all of these mesh together seamlessly and provide all the tools you need, unless you want to produce a totally professional movie then, perhaps, you would need a more sophisticated suite of software but, there again, if that is what you need to achieve why are you using an HG10 in the first place?

My only complaints are, as the title of this suggests, the niggling cut corners and oversights: (1) Why use totally inadequate plastic retainers on the covers for the various sockets? (2) Why design a hot shoe cover that is bound to spring off and be lost at the earliest opportunity? (3) Why put the microphone input socket right underneath the lens where the mike cable could easily get into the picture. (4) Why put a focus assist/illumination light on that is so weak as to be virtually useless at distances more than a few feet? (5) Why provide manual control of aperture and speed but not the two together - something that is absolutely necessary for proper manual control? (6) Why incorporate a great little feature like the rotating dial on the LCD screen and then manufacture it to look, and feel, as cheap and nasty as possible?

To put the above into perspective, they are irritations but not to a degree that would put me off the camera. I like it, I like the handling and I like the results and would certainly put it up against anything else in that price range. No camera is perfect but this is as good as any and better than most.

One final question I have to ask though: why on earth put a still shot capability on a camcorder?? Especially when the resolution of most of the stills is so low!! You buy a camcorder to shoot movement and a stills camera to shoot stills - never the twain should meet - at least not until the quality of the stills shot with camcorders can at least double over what it is now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camcorder, 28 Jun 2009
I haven't had it for long but find it extremely easy to use and the picture qualiry is excellent.

The Corel software that comes with it is very slow to render the final project

5.0 out of 5 stars Vista 64bit Compatible, 27 Mar 2008
Excellent camcorder, though heavy on the batteries.

This camcorder is windows vista 64bit compatible, it appears as a usb drive letter. Software that comes with it is also 64bit compatible. I was going to purchase the Sony HDR-SR5E , but sony do not support vista 64bit.

Does not include minisd card or HDMI cable (mini hdmi to hdmi)

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Camera Review, 16 Mar 2009
Joy Atkins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Great camera, love using it - very easy! Good mac compatibility which is what I'd been struggling with in other cameras. Quality of footage is great and sound is reasonable. Software that came with it is a little complicated but once imovie picks it up there is no need for any other software. Really enjoyable piece of kit!