on 9 April 2013
An old film,but it is a classic.... this is what Horror films were made for,..to scare people and this is exactly what you get in this film....
If you liked the good stuff they used to ban in the 80s,then you'll love this!!
on 9 August 2011
Tobe hoopers funhouse see's a group of teens decide it would be a fantastic idea to spend the night at the carnival funhouse for kicks, and guess what, it wasnt!
No real point going into plot details, suffice to say hoopers early foray into studio horror is mostly succsessful, playing more for the dark humour of death trap than the visceral gut punch that was texas chainsaw massacre. The film takes its time getting the teens into the funhouse itself, building up the suspense and making the most of the carnival before moving everything inside to the set. We get plenty of sideshows including a drunken vampire stage magician and some two headed cows plus a crooked fortune teller to entertain us before the real action kicks in, but its entertaining nontheless and is certainly one of the better early eighties horrors produced within the studio system, and for my money a much more rewarding fright flick than hoopers later poltergeist.

So, is the disc any good? yes. Its worth noting the soft focus cinematography used by hooper on the film shows up somewhat on the disc and on occasion causes some blurring near the edges, but personally I think this is the best i've seen the movie looking. I compared it to the region 1 dvd on upscale and it looks much better, with the vivd color scheme including the deep reds showing up perfectly, there is a fine layer of grain on the film but not as heavy as some other arrow releases and the dnr-phobes will be pleased to hear this release avoids the overuse seen in some other releases. (not noticable on my 32" tv mind.)

we also get a ton of interesting extras including a whole bunch of interviews and three commentary tracks plus the usual poster and booklet, featuring notes from kim newman.

In my honest opinion this is a good release of the movie, certainly the best looking and the extras are interesting as well. If your a fan of the movie give it a try!
on 30 July 2014
it was good to see this again,I remember seeing it in an old fleapit on a double bill with My Bloody Valentine in the 80s,it seemed
scarier back then!!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2010
The value and quality of this product were 5 star and the postage was very quick. Cheap 80's movie but still creepy. Excellent service.

RD
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2005
I watched this film in the cinema,and without a doubt, its the best horror i have ever seen. I am glad to see it out at last on dvd. Everytime i have gone into a haunted house since it has made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, just wondering whats round the next corner. Ive spoken to my three children about it, all three now 18plus ,their the new generation and they want to watch it with me, will it have the same effect on them, as it had on me, all those years ago???
on 18 December 2014
Fun movie in a sort of Stephen King movie-like tradition.
Superb quality from Arrow video!!!
on 19 August 2015
Absolutely love this film video nasty rated at a 15 makes you laugh but a belter of a film
on 19 February 2015
The funhouse by the director of texas chainsaw tobe terrific smart and creepy cool
on 15 December 2014
Enjoyable fun - not a film I had seen in the distant past.
on 28 February 2015
Another great package from the bril Arrow Films label!