Published on 27 Feb 2009 by C. Edwardes

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but has its flaws
Published on 25 Jan 2011 by Satchmo

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant. Buy it immediately for great fun and learning, 27 Feb 2009
C. Edwardes "dinghymadC" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
Despite the rather mediocre and negative reviews bought this jigsaw and have found it my best buy in absolutely ages. Absolutely brilliant. The globe with the metal display is better than the tray one though the tray is included with the metal one for you to construct it on. Tray a bit shallow to permanently display so glad I bought this one. I bought it predominently to learn where everywhere is in the world and it has answered this requirement and more. Because it takes you a while to find the correct piece it imprints the location and which country. Because I dont use it as a jigsaw but as a learning device I have cheated using the fantastically useful numbers on the back and have put the "sea" areas together using the numbers. Also I have grouped all the pieces into their "100's" so dont waste endless time hunting. Just long enough to let the info sink in but not frustrating enough to forget. So you could just ignore the numbers and use it as a proper jigsaw or cheat a bit and learn countries and whereabouts. As for quality of pieces and design cant fault it. The pieces fit together well and whilst the writing a bit small (definitely need my glasses and good light) they are legible enough. A robust object and can visualise this being built and taken apart and built again many times - until I know where all my countries are anyway! Im 47 and a useful learning tool for me and I suspect for all except very small children. More a tool than a toy but still great fun nevertheless. I think everyone should have one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ravensburger World Map Jigsaw Ball, 20 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
This item was bought as a Christmas present for my 11 year old Grand Daughter. I delivered to her home and we started straight away. It was quite challenging and I doubt that she would have managed it on her own. We had some fun assembling it but a degree of patience was required. The result was worthwhile and I now know where Namibia is !!

5.0 out of 5 stars WORLD PUZZLEBALL, 4 Jan 2010
Paul Simpson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
I saw the Puzzleball advertised on tv just before Xmas, and thought it would make a fun extra present for my jigsaw loving wife and 2 teenage girls. Although the cost may seem a little excessive in comparison with jigsaws, the quality of the pieces is outstanding, and I feel it is good value. The puzzle didn't take very long to complete, and the numbers on the back of the pieces made it fairly straightforward, but my youngest daughter immediately broke it up as she wanted to do it all over again! Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but has its flaws, 25 Jan 2011
Satchmo "Satchmo" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
This is generally a good puzzle and the fact that all the parts are numbered helps when working on areas of blue sea. My only complaints are that there are NO written instructions included at all (apart from a visual guide for the stand), and although most jigsaw puzzles do not need instructions, in this instance some guidance would have been helpful on issues such as how to insert the final north-pole piece (which in my case was extremely tight) without damaging the existing puzzle-build. (never did solve this)

And..I thought the stand was very poorly designed and (in my instance) was not correctly sized..being too large to hold
the finished globe.. An attempt to bend the wires to correct this resulted in the stand breaking :o(

So ..a fun but flawed product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
Prices for this vary enormously across retailers. While some are reasonable others are way too high. I would have been diappointed paying near to thirty quid that some ask.

Completing the land masses and island chains etc was fun and educational.

For those who complain about the numbers on the back, you don't have to look at them you know! If you do and then complain, it is down to your own weakness, not the product's fault.

Having tried to build "bridges" across the oceans following the dotted lines of the tropics, I found sequences that appeared to fit perfectly and even the graticules (line of latitude and longitude) aligned well but I eventually got stumped thinking I had missing pieces. Peeking at the numbers I realised there were duplicate patterns and I had to rearrange my bridges.

Realising that it would be even worse having a clump of open ocean pieces fiting together with matching graticules but not correct according to numbers led me to fill in the oceans by following numbers. I imagine it would take enormous patience to do the ocean without numbers. This was the least satisfying and boring part of the puzzle.

Some peices fit loosely and will fall off until "braced" by adjacent pieces so that is a bit of a frustration. Most fit quite snuggly. Others take a but of force but might fit easier pushed from the inside rather than the outside.

So overall satisfying, fun and educational but with some frustrations unique to a 3D puzzle.

5.0 out of 5 stars ravensburger globe of the world, 8 Jan 2010
Ms. J. Rogers "purpleinFrance" (Montblanc, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
This puzzle was very difficult to complete but it was a great help that all the pieces were numbered on the back! I learnt a great deal about the world whilst completing it. It is very strong and is now standing in our sitting room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept my grandchildren happy for hours, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
Bought for 2 grandchildren, one 9 years old and one 10. They both needed a bit of help to get started then they built on their own. Kept them happy for hours. Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
we got this for xmas for our daughter and its very good.the jigsaw is very well made and they all have numbers on so once you sort them out its pretty easy to put together.it comes with a stand which allows the globe to move around.its a good buy and educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars loads of fun for me and son, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
really fun to put together. plenty of pieces, took us an afternoon. pieces are durable plastic not made of cardboard so much more solid than i expected. works well as actual globe once together, he has had fun looking at places on the map

5.0 out of 5 stars puzzle ball, 19 Jan 2010
Z. Martin "z martin" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Earth 540 Piece Puzzleball (Toy)
this was a fantastic idea as 2 christmas pressy, they got many hours enjoyment out of it and was suitable for the whole family. Great toy

ARRAY(0xaf0473e4)