Published on 22 Nov 2009 by Brian muffin maker

2.0 out of 5 stars Look at the alternatives
My wife and I waited 25 years to buy our first food processor. When we finally had the spare cash to do so we bought this (through Amazon), The Kenwood Titanium K010. The speed controller never worked well and eventually, just outside the warranty, it finally failed. I eventually found a new part on-line (not cheap) and fitted it myself. Once you look inside (as I did...
Published on 9 Oct 2011 by Richard

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful and versatile and does main tasks really well., 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine, 1400 Watt, Titanium (Kitchen & Home)
I bought a KM010 Titanium after considering a range of food processors (eg Magimix, Dualit, Kitchen Aid) and have been very pleased with that the Chef can do. I've never owned a food processor so am not entirely sure if the claimed versatility of them is true in practice. What I do know is the Chef does what I need and instead of almost everything going in one bowl you have to think that the Kenwood way is to have a specific apparatus for each task - hence the 4 attachment points and different speeds. I've found it kneads bread well (my biggest use of it thus far) and in a decent sized amount, it mixes well and it liquidises well too. Points I noted were:

1) the glass liquidiser is huge and for smaller or older people with a weak grip it is heavy. Having said that it does mean you can really fill it up eg with soup for 4-6 people and liquidise it in one go. making one milkshake does look a bit lost in the bottom.

2) it is a bit of trial and error working out when to use the flexi beater versus the classic K beater - the cook book that comes with the machine (that is otherwise a well written book) makes no mention of the flexi beater - assume it was not invented in 2003 when the book says it was printed. flexibeater seems to work best with sponge cake mixes.

3) the machine is a bit noisier than I expected at full pelt but to generally have it on for only a minute or two at that speed. however it is very stable and there is no sense that the motor ever labours.

4) the food processor works pretty well (I've never had a proper one to compare) but it does even on min setting start quite "fast" - this can feel very quick for shredding/slicing - slicing onions seems to take about 1.5 seconds....but the result is perfectly respectable - again the whole thing feels like the task is of no strain at all on the main motor.

5) the metal finish is of high quality and the parts all fit together with a decent clunk/fit. the only bit that feels a bit flimsy is the splash guard. While it is not a structural partit looks like it could easily be damaged in a busy washing up bowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Kitchen Machine - Buy it, you will be glad you did, 27 Nov 2008
I held off from buying the Kenwood for years. Now I have purchased the Titanium and it has been fantastic. The processor does not handle the quantity that my old Braun processor does, but if I need more than a 10oz mix I do 2 batches. It has done bread, cakes and merangues for me, successfully and with ease. Whipped cream and souffles. Its quieter than I expected. The liquidiser does a very good job for soups (thats about all I use that for) I also purchased the mincer/sausagemaker/kebab attachement. The mincer is a godsend as I have rheumatics and turning the handle on the old mincer is a chore. Processing the meat to make bugers does not give the right consistency. I have not yet tried it for pate or faggots. I am going for the pasta attachment next.
10/10 I am well pleased with the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I ever manage without this?, 20 Jun 2011
Where to even begin with this thing? I purchased this having owned a Kenwood food processor. I thought to buy a new processor which had got lost in the move, but the more I looked, the more I realised I did enough baking, mixing and liquidising to warrant the Chef.
The Chef really does have endless possibilities. I use it in the kitchen if not every, then certainly every other day. I'm going to discuss each section to make it easier to get a handle on this mammoth piece of machinery. About the size; Yes, it is big. Not so big that it will take over your kitchen however, assuming you have a work top handy. The box however is another story, if I ever sell my house, I might consider laying a foundation and simply living in the Titaniums box for the rest of my life, once I've worked out how to put a bathroom in there.

Mixer:
The mixing bowl is smooth stainless steel, perfect for mixing pastry, dough, or cake mix. It detatches from the base so you can easily pop the ingredients in and slide it back in to position, attach your tool and begin mixing. The 2 side handles make it perfect for carrying it around when it's very full. The 4 included tools are also very useful, the dough hook prepares quite simply the best
dough I've ever seen, the whisk will have you mixing a perfect pavlova in no time and the 2 included beaters are great for general mixing. I tend to use the rubber coated flex-beater for cake mixes and the metal beater for hamburgers and meatloaf. I do agree with previous reviewers that the splashguard could have been a little more thought out, it is plastic and can sometimes slip off when you're attaching the tool. However, when mixing it's rock solid and it ensures there is absolutely no mess that escapes the bowl, even when set on maximum speed. It also allows you to pour additional ingredients in through a convenient little hatch in the side.
Beware, you need to have enough room above the machine that you can lift the top and attach the tools, so I would not advise putting this under a shelf to use it.

Liquidiser
The liquidiser is a lovely glass piece with raised measuring markings on the outside. The blade assembly and lid and stopper all detatch for easy cleaning and it can hold enough to make a decent milkshake for 3-4 people.
To use this, you must attach it to the top, so again, no putting it under shelves, there probably won't be room. Also, a word of warning, if you crank the liquidiser to full speed, be prepared for a lot of froth to come bubbling out of the top, so make sure it isn't too full. It does however produce the smoothest milkshakes I've ever made.
All these people complaining it's too heavy I find slightly weird. The whole unit is about 5 times heavier, how did you get it on to your worktop in the first place? go get some dumbbells and work out that milkshake arm. It has a very sturdy handle, so you won't drop it.

Food processor
A smaller bowl than found on a traditional Kenwood processor, this again attaches to the top. It has all the usual blades for shredding, dicing, grating and cutting, as well as the large feed shoot and carrot feed shoot that come as standard. It has a safety mechanism which does not allow the blade to engage whilst the lid is off, so no chance of turning yourself in to mince meat. Trust me, I tried, just to see what would happen. It's very good at it's job and tares through almost anything. I saw it cut a raw swede to ribbons the other day without so much as stuttering. I have now taken to calling it master, just in case.

There are numerous attachments you can buy for the machine, I have my eye on the ice-cream maker.
It's a rock solid, utterly diverse and completely reliable piece of kitchen equipment and you won't regret it if you buy it. It comes with a plethora of recipes, but even using it for everyday tasks is an absolute joy. From the moment you start using it, you realise they've not skimped on quality at any point during its construction.
My fridge is now always filled with puddings, breads, savoury treats, soups, meat loaf and milkshakes and honestly I don't know quite what I did before without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor, 5 Sep 2009
Twasme (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this Kenwood Chef for almost a year now. It replaced an old Kenwood Chef passed down by my parents. That machine eventually expired after over 30 years of breadmaking. So far, the new one is proving to be a worthy successor. The extra power and electronic control enable it to handle a 3 lb bread dough with ease where the old one struggled. The cover to the bowl (with opening hatch) ensures that all the flour stays in the bowl. Fortunately (and rather unusually compared with many manufacturers) most of the attachments from my old machine fit this one. The new machine is also much quieter.

I have just one minor quibble that prevents me giving a five star rating. The mains lead is rather short, so it has to be within an arm's reach of a mains socket. In a cramped kitchen with not many power sockets, for a machine as heavy as this, that really is quite inconvenient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood chef KM010 Food Mixer, 20 July 2009
Lily (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
Having never used a stand mixer before, I was quite wary of this one. But on the advice of my sister and as a gift from my husband I gave it a go. I have been using it ever since and love it! I have made cakes, cheesecakes and whipped cream with it and it has made baking so much easier for me and more enjoyable. I have had no problems with the machine or any of the attachments that came with it. Gentlemen, if your wives love baking and cooking as much as I do they would love a gift like this one!! I know I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb purchase after much deliberation!!, 16 Feb 2011
Like most of the other reviewers here we spent a lot of time reading reviews about the Kenwood versus Kitchen Aid. A few years ago when money wasn't so tight I would probably have gone for style over substance and it would have been a Kitchen Aid gracing my work tops so in a way these days of austerity have done me a favour!! The KM010 reprepresents incredible value for money. It is very robust and solid, the 1400 W motor can easily tackle anything you throw at it. I have always managed with a hand mixer and made my bread by hand but now at the ripe old age of 45 I think it is time to let a machine take the strain and I can see that having this mixer is going to seriously reawaken my interest in cooking. There has been no shop bought cake, biscuits or bread at this house for a few weeks now!

The KM010 is a serious step up from the models below it and has solid and robust stainless steel dough hook, balloon whisk, k beater and the bowl has a couple of handles on it which makes handling much easier. The processor and liquidiser are excellent and we will save up for some of the other attachments, probably go for the mincer and maybe the icecream maker. I'm unsure why one reviewer found it very fiddly - this is home cooking after all and you need to expect a bit of a mess and some level of interaction with the machine!

NOW there is just one slight problem .... The new flexibeater which you get free with this model (it is normally sold as an attachment) may have the wrong shaft on it which causes it to get stuck in the machine. I had a proper struggle getting it in and out and was really disappointed but a quick call to the Kenwood services dept (there is a leaflet with a number on with all the paperwork which tells you to phone them first before taking the machine back) and a new one was sent with the correct shaft for this machine.

But apart from that, a brilliant choice. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Chef titanium, 18 Dec 2008
I have grown up in a kenwood chef family, my grans had the a701 models and my mum had the newer A901 which I used before I got married. All of these kenwoods are still working today after over 40 years use. I have just got the new chef titanium and it is fantastic, the build is great and it has no plastic body parts and it is quieter than the older models. My chef is in constant use and all the attachments that I had for the A901 fit it. The beaters are all stainless steel and can go in the dishwasher and wont discolour,The mincer, liquidiser, herb mill, potato pealer, pasta maker are all fantastic too. Dont be put off with the price and shop around it is a brilliant piece of kiy and will serve you well,once you have a kenwood you wont use any other food mixer. The kenwood chef has got better with age and will outlast many of its rivals.It will knock the socks off any food processor even the magimix which gets a good rating in which.If you are thinking of buying one go for it as it will serve you well and you wont be dissapointed.It is a classy piece of kit and many friends have commented on it when they have been in the kitchen, mine sits on the worktop and is used most days I even mash my potatoes in it just go for it and buy it you wont regret it.
My elderly aunt who is now 92years old still uses her kenwood chef with the original glass bowl it is even older than me as it was the firt model with the planetary action model A700.You might think I am a bit a
of an anorak when it comes to the Kenwood chef but as i said earlier I have been used to using one since i was very little and grew up with it so dont be put off with other thing like Kitchen aid with there retro colours go out and buy yourself a godd Kenwood chef it will give you years of great serviceand your baking will be fantastic.I hope that you find this review helpfull.
Graham Hunter a kenwood chef fan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one out there., 4 May 2008
Mr. PJ Brown (Redruth Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This will make the third Kenwood I have owned in 30 odd years and it is defiantly the best one yet. The Motor is very powerful and a little bit quieter than the old Chefs' I have had. Am loving the new medium speed outlet, great for use with the citrus juicer and the small food processor. Also the beaters and dough hook are solid stainless, so will go in the dishwasher.

Over all a great revamp of a classic and well worth the money, much better than the American competition! Go, Buy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nearest You Can Get To A Classic Chef, 13 April 2010
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ok, it looks modern, but this is the nearest food mixer to match the quality of my 1960's chef which gave up life a few years ago. I tried the cheaper Kenwood Chefs but they just do not last and even the Kitchenaid Mixer is not as good as this Titanium Chef.

I have sold my Kitchenaid as I just couldnt afford the attachments as they were so expensive, so I bought this model of the Chef to try out and it is top notch. The attachments can be found cheaply and there are so many to choose from, it is even compatible with my old attachments. In fact as well as a GLASS liquidiser and the flexi beater on top of the usual tools, this also comes with an excellent food processor which works as well as the Kenwood high speed slicer so again there is another saving which makes the purchase price seem more reasonable.

My Nans old 1960's Chef was the best kitchen machine I have ever owned and I never thought I would find anything to match it, but this is a fantastic second best. Do not be fooled, not all Kenwood Chefs are the same! Try to save up and get this model as you will not regret it. My replacement Kenwood KM336 lasted me 4 months before I had to send it back.

The motor is quiet and does not seem so strained compared to the lower powered cheaper models and even the speed dial feels properly attached. Even though this is made in China (but designed and engineered in the UK) the build quality is superb.

As I have said previously, if you are looking for a decent replacement for your vintage Chef, learn by my mistake and just go for this model and forget the others. I totally reccomend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, 14 Jun 2010
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this to replace my 1970s Chef A701A, and it's good to see that Kenwood seem to have maintained standards and made a number of improvements. Most obviously, it's quieter (although inevitably still noisy) and has a pulse setting. The lever release for the head unit is much easier to use than the little push button of old too.

I'd recommend paying for this over the KM336, if you can find the money - it comes with a glass blender instead of acrylic, also a food processor attachment; it is a lot more powerful and there are several more minor enhancements such as easily removed drive cover for the blender and handles on the bowl. In the couple of weeks I was looking, the price varied between about £[] and £[], so choose your moment!

The one thing I wish is that they still made a Pyrex glass bowl for it. OK, the glass bowls were heavy and fragile, but they were also more temperature-stable (great for egg whites, for example) and cling film would stick to them (sounds trivial, but it rally annoys me that I can't put cling film over the bowl when proving bread dough or saving a mix for later). Perhaps Kenwood could come up with a plastic lid for the bowl?