5.0 out of 5 stars Harry's hometown tribute, 3 Oct 2007
Angel Delta (Southsea Hants) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My New Orleans (Audio CD)
Harry Connick's tribute to his hometown of New Orleans was released in the States in January under the title of "Oh, My Nola" so it is surprising that this album hasn't been released in the UK until now.

The sixteen songs on this album are either about, or from, New Orleans. He uses many of the city's musical styles, jazz, gospel, cajun, R&B, country and brass bands to make what is his most eclectic album yet. Even so, his swing and jazz funk styles together with his stride piano are always in evidence. There are four Connick originals on the album and the other twelve are popular standards that have been re-worked by Connick in unfamiliar styles. Hank Williams' "Jambalaya" is given a New Orleans big band treatment with much brass and woodwind, and Lee Dorsey's R&B classic, "Working In The Coal Mine" has more of a funky feel. "Careless Love" recalls country honky tonk and featuring just piano, acoustic guitar, bass drum and tambourine.

Connick's own songs stand up well against the classics. "All These People" with gospel singer, Kim Burrell, was written after Harry had visited New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. This very moving song opens with the spoken words "I never saw nothing like that before in my life/I hope I never see it again."

His more typical big band jazz sound and impeccable vocals are found on "Someday" and "Lazy Bones." Whilst "Do That Thing" is a celebration of Nola's musical greats, the album is a celebration of its heritage, its people and its music as well as to a hometown that almost died.

Buy this album, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant tribute album to New Orleans., 13 Oct 2007
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My New Orleans (Audio CD)
I purchased this album whilst on holiday in Canada back at the end of June. Over there the album was called 'Oh, my Nola'. Over here it's called 'My New Orleans'. It's basically the same album except it's named differently.

The music styles featured on here go from traditional jazz to cuban, R&B, the big band sound, a bit of soul added in as well. There are terrific arrangements given to the standards featured on here and Harry Connick Jr breathes new life into them. Among the old favourites his own songs feature well especially 'All These People' which he wrote after his visit to New Orleans in the aftermath of the catastophic events that happened there. A powerful and poignant song that's delivered really well.

If I were to choose a couple of favourites I would pick 'Elijah Rock', 'Do Dat Thing', 'Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey?' and 'All These People'. But I would choose the whole album as there's not really a bad song on here. An amazing album from one of the most talented jazz singers of the modern era working today. In my opinion this is well worth owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps one of the best album by Harry Connick Jr., 12 July 2007
Louise Amkaer (Greenland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oh My Nola (Audio CD)
This is an amazing album. I was dumbfounded the first time I heard it.

The songs on "Oh My Nola" are songs that Harry Connick Jr. finds have a connection to New Orleans. There are traditional songs including a newly arranged version of Hello Dolly and there are a couple of new songs. I recommend All Those People - a song of Hurricane Katrina and more importantly all those people evacuated and waiting.

I find the percussion and rhythm unbelievable on "Oh My Nola".

This is actually a jazz album, I recommend even to those who are not jazz enthusiasts. Hear it and love it!

Louise.

5.0 out of 5 stars !, 1 Aug 2007
sam (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Oh My Nola (Audio CD)
I heard this album for the first time on a flight and it completely blew me away. I ordered it as soon as I was within reach of a computer. I listened to a lot of jazz and "big band" when I was young and this took me right back to seeing some of the greats. It is the best album I've heard this year of any genre, and extremely exciting to listen to... very frustrating if you are in the confines of an economy seat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner for HCJ, 23 Oct 2007
This review is from: My New Orleans (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of HCJ and will be going to see the show that promotes this cd.
At first I wasn't sure but now having listened carefully to this album a number of times I am coming around to the opinion that it stands with any that Mr Connick has produced. Originally I let the fact that a number of the songs were old "warhorses" influence me but the more I listen to these arrangements, especially as far as the orchestra are concerned the more I am won over, although my favourites are a couple of new songs that he has penned, especially We Make a Lot of Love. All in all a really good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Orleans music, 9 May 2008
This review is from: My New Orleans (Audio CD)
It's great to hear Harry back to his roots and doing his thing with the band - and what a great band too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My Nola., 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oh My Nola (Audio CD)
Another excellent C.D. from Harry Connick. I am always pleased to have another addition to my collection. I like his style and don`t think I have heard a recording that I haven`t enjoyed. Keep on recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Orleans, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: My New Orleans (Audio CD)
Bought this as a gift for a good friend; I already have a copy myself.
I am a Harry Connick Jr. fan and have most of his CDs.
This album is great!

My New Orleans
My New Orleans by Harry Connick Jr. (Audio CD - 2007)