Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£22.67+ £1.26 shipping

on 14 November 2007
The first thing one notices about the score to the second of Shekhar Kapur's "Elizabeth" films is that it is infintely different to Hirschfelder's from the original. And yet one must expect this for, in turn, the film is very different to the first. The conspiracies and keeping-to-the-shadows of the original, beautifully evoked by Hirschfelder's mysterious and haunting score, have been flung out for conspiracy on a larger scale and a score which, like the film, focuses on the trials and tribulations of a single woman rather than plots and treachery of a court.

Taking cues from some of his earlier work - notably "Plunkett and Macleane" - Armstrong's score to "The Golden Age" is certainly not bursting with originality, nor does it particularly put one in mind of the Tudor era, yet it manages to convey all the same the splendour and power, as well as the bitterness and sacrifice, of the film and the woman at its centre. Ar Rahman also contributed to the score and gave it a surprising splash of Eastern influence which at first sounded out of place to me, but actually works beautifully in context of the unique, almost mythic vision of the film.

If you're a fan of the choir-filled movie scores of the past decade, then you'll probably enjoy this as much as I did, but if you're after something a bit more unconventional, you'd be better served by other soundtracks.
on 16 January 2009
Having got this album a few days ago I have to say that the length of it disappointed me, maybe I have been spoilt by the likes of Hans Zimmer, where there seems to be longer pieces. However, I did find it inspiring and relaxing to listen to. I have not heard the first film soundtrack though so I cannot say if it is better or worse. But unfortunately I found myself just getting into the piece of music when it goes onto the next track...but having said that the tracks are only as long as normal songs on a non-classical album.
on 1 December 2007
I enjoyed this second film in the Elizabeth trilogy, but felt that director Shekhar Kapur should have used the same composer, David Hirschfelder instead of the overblown Hollywood-type music used in Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Hirschfelder's music was superbly atmospheric and made excellent use of Elizabethan dance music in the court scenes. While I agree and accept that this film portrays an older and wiser queen and the religious turmoil in England, the music is far too intrusive at times and distracted from the film. Hirschfelder's music can be listened to out of context very easily and it is a soundtrack that I play constantly. While listening to it, I can visualise Walsingham plotting the destruction of Elizabeth's enemies and also see her dance flirtatiously with Robert Dudley ! Please, Mr Kapur, bring back David Herschfelder when making the next film. Audiences will thank you for it.
on 20 February 2014
5 stars! Ear candy! One of the best movie soundtracks ever made!
Craig Armstrong is a genius! Buy this! Now!
on 9 January 2008
I disagree with those that thought this musical score was bland. It was far from bland, it was stupendous! A beautiful and moving score was made throughout and I applaud the two composers. I look forward to them working together in the future. Their music stirs the heart! well done.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2007
Why David Hirschfelder wasn't brought back to score this follow-up to 'Elizabeth' is just one question that bedevils the whole project (maybe he read the script and demurred). Gone is the fabulously dark and evocative scoring of the original, and in its place we get Hollywood hack-work at its worst. At its best it's a second-rate rip off Zimmer & Gerrard's 'Gladiator', and at its worst it is as bland and forgettable as the lifeless film it accompanies.