4.0 out of 5 stars Y'all ready for this?, 17 Aug 2010
This review is from: Press On (Audio CD)
Listening to Press On, you'd be forgiven for believing it was recorded by a tight funk band carrying a torch for the classic 70's tradition. Lack of Afro actually is whiteboy Adam Gibbons, a producer and multi-instrumentalist one man band, hence the in-joke alias. He builds his tracks around samples of old soul bands, adding his own funky drums, guitar and horns to the mix. There's a dash of RJD2, a hint of Quantic, and more than just a sprinkling of DJ Shadow to the stew, but the music is differentiated by Adam's percussive hard funk sound which is catchy as hell. "The Outsider" samples the legendary James Brown and is driven by soaring horns. "Rusty" features an awesome drum beat and samples Flava Flav. The uber-happy "Touch My Soul" never fails to raise a smile, while "Pure Filth", driven by dirty, funky guitar bypasses your brain and goes straight for your feet. The album is topped off with an incendiary instrumental reworking of The Arctic Monkeys' "When The Sun Goes Down", with added flute! One of the most dance floor friendly albums of the modern funk scene, highly recommended.

Article first published as "Music Review - Lack of Afro - Press On" on Blogcritics.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good listen, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Press On (Audio CD)
I'd never listened to this kind of music before, and in fact I can't remember how I came across this particular CD, but I'm glad I did, because I think it's excellent. I'm sure I've attracted some puzzled glances when listening to this on the train home, as you can't help but bop your head to the beats!

4.0 out of 5 stars a good vibe, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Press On (Audio CD)
a good album, big band tone and sure to lift your spirits. a mix of bassment jacks and fatboy slim with an element of high quality production

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro meets tomorrow, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Press On (MP3 Download)
Big fan of Lack of Afro and this album brings together some great retro and modern sounds. Everytime I listen to "Live at the Club" I feel I have gone back in time to a 1970s jazz den in Soho.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now!, 20 Oct 2008
This review is from: Press On (Audio CD)
I stumbled upon this guy's album thanks to myspace, then bought it on amazon. What can I say? If you're a fan of DJ Shadow, Quantic Soul Orchestra, Mark Ronson etc then dont think, just buy it. Now.
In many ways, its a better album than those artists I've mentioned there because it has what I reckon to be one of the tracks of the millenium so far - "Touch My Soul". Try listening to that and not feeling good. Impossible! It'll appear on an advert soon, muller or something...mark my words...
Its not just one track though, check out the wicked Arctic Monkeys gone hard funk - "When The Sun Goes Down". Genius, also "Roderigo", "The Outsider", "Where It's At"...etc etc Just buy it!!!!

ARRAY(0xa27648b8)

Press On
Press On by Lack of Afro (Audio CD - 2007)