4.0 out of 5 stars Super Furry Belter........
At first, I was a bit underwhelmed by this effort. Im a massive SFA fan, and on first rotation, it seemed a bit of a let down. But I really should have known better. I shouldnt have doubted them. Its a cracker. Fairly short by their standards, but still delivers everything you'd expect from the furries.

Its actually a lot more closer in style to their early...
Published on 31 Aug 2007 by Mr. MJ Spitty

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed bag, mostly good
Published on 12 Oct 2007 by black-syrup

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed bag, mostly good, 12 Oct 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
This is another decent album from SFA, and overall it has a much more robust, 'Fuzzy Logic' type sound to it than the predominantly acoustic nature of their previous few albums. Having said that, the best song here - "The Gift That Keeps Giving" - is right up there with the most serene moments on 'Rings Around The World'. A beautiful slow song with great harmonies, it would go straight onto a C60 of best SFA tracks. And although there aren't any other tracks quite as good, "Baby Ate My Eightball" is a catchy disco/indie stomper, and "Let The Wolves Howl At The Moon" is a vaguely Nashville-esque lament which closes the album nicely... Not everything about this album is up to that standard though. The two singles, "Run-Away" and "Show Me Your Hand" are SFA on cruise control, i.e. good, but nothing we haven't heard a thousand times before and done better on albums like 'Radiator'. "Carbon Dating" is just latter period Gorky's Zygotic Mynci on autopilot, boring. "Neo Consumer" displays a slightly alarming Kaiser Chiefs influence (hopefully it's not intentional) with some pointless yob chanting at the start, and at it's worst ("Into The Night", "Battersea Odyssey") they start to sound like a 70's glam band on bad drugs soundchecking to a bunch of deaf roadies. SFA are one of those bands though that remain appealing to some extent, even when they're doing something you don't like. So I'm giving Hey Venus' 3 stars by SFA standards, which is closer to 4 stars by everyone elses.

3.0 out of 5 stars let's forget this one, shall we?, 2 May 2008
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
I've had this record quite a while now. It's not been doing anything for me, and I've been waiting, giving it chance, thinking surely one day it's going to hit me. This morning I've decided it's time to make my judgement. By no means is it a bad record, it's just that I don't like it. The Super Furries are still being fairly original, but for some reason there's something missing here. Something that's preventing Hey Venus from being one of those eclectic, sunny masterpieces that we've come to expect.

Yes, it's quite short, though I don't know whether that impacts on my enjoyment of the record. I'm usually very much in favour of quality over quantity. For some reason the brevity of Hey Venus prevents it being one of those musical journeys that other Super Furry Animals are. And that's weird since this is supposed to be a concept album, even though the story is very hard to discern just from listening to it.

There are no real stinkers on this album. "Neo Consumer" is nearly a stinker with it's "oh! oh! oh! oh-oh-oh!" chorus, but while an earlier reviewer's comparisons with the Kaiser Chiefs are justified, it's still a bit better than Leeds' said cheeky chappies.

The highlights for me are "Run Away" and "Baby Ate My Eightball". "Runaway" has mournfully poignant lyrics that are beautifully sung. The line that goes, "I still recall your banking details" perfectly evokes the seriousness of the terminated relationship, while "Baby Ate My Eightball"s vocal twists the words to create an nonsensical but infectious riff. But really, that's it. The rest of the tracks are just ok.

One other gripe: why must bands (SFA have been quilty of this a couple of times) keep printing their lyrics in red type on a blue background? I can't read it! Come on, my particular type of colour blindness is very common, so I know I'm not the only one straining my eyes, trying to make out what's being sung. Sort it out!

POSTSCRIPT: I think sometimes it's hard to collect together one's thoughts with regard to a record when it's still new to you. Sometimes you have to cast it aside for a few weeks or months, and then, when you listen again, your true feelings are revealed. So I listened to Hey Venus again this last weekend, and that's what happened. I'm afraid I have developed a real disliking for the Super Furries' latest effort. I just find it incredibly annoying, especially such repetitive dirges as "The Gift That Keeps Giving" and "Battersea Odyssey". I can't officially change my star rating at this late stage, but just for posterity let it be known that I rate this as a 2 star album, and easily the Super Furries' worst.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clueless Boris Vita, 23 Feb 2008
Mr. O. ROBERTS "apezoon7" (north wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
This review was provoked by another review by Boris Vita.

Dear Boris

May I first apologise for this outburst, as it is not normally something that I would do, but after reading your review on Hey Venus, I couldn't help myself.

Firstly why must you always compare the album to what you refer to as on of their best albums - Rings Around The World. Yes it has its moments with No Sympathy and Run Christian Run, but this album is purely for their commercial fans that need a pop/chart/easy to listen to songs. I would have said Radiator, Fuzzy Logic, Love Craft & Phantom Power all excel RATW.

Anyway, Hey Venus. You've just got is all wrong I'm afraid. The album starts badly. The first 5 tracks are poor. Trying to be catchy pop songs, they do not deliver and are easily forgotten. You seem to think that the album goes down hill after these fantastic first few tracks. I couldn't wait for them to finish the first time I listened to the album and I was utterly disappointed.

That was until I heard Into the Night. What a song. Super Furry's at their best trying something different and progressing as an alternative folk rock band. You said this is lacking in melody???? Why??? The Asian influence along with a funky rock sound really livens this album up. In comparison to Run Away & Show Your Hand that are positively suicidal but you have rated 5star. Then is Baby Ate My Eightball, the second strongest song on the album. This has been well produced and well written. You gave it a 3star because of its too repetitive. If a part sounds good in a song then why not repeat it? I really do like this song, and for me, both this and Into The Night have saved the album from being an embarrassment.

Finally might I add that Let the wolves howl at the Moon is a fantastic ending to an Album. The Super Furry's always feel like they have to conclude their albums with a song that firmly makes you feel like the album has ended- Fuzzy Logic, Phantom Power, Radiator, Ring Around The World, Love Craft. Again this is a strong song and is well written. Staying in your head all day long, a perfect ending to an inconsistent, up-and-down album.

I just thought it was incredibly funny that you liked all the bad tracks and didn't like the good ones. Maybe you should think twice before trying to advise people on what to listen to. Especially as though your other review was on Cradle of Filth, says it all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Guerilla, but not good enough..., 31 Aug 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
SFA may never top Rings around the World or Fuzzy Logic, but a few releases ago with Phantom Power, they came really close to at least matching that quality. However, the last few releases have been inferior to their best material and this release, Hey Venus, is not as good as Love Kraft, it IS better than Guerilla, and not as good as Phantom Power.

As Far as the "slow" material on Hey Venus, it just isn't near as good as the "slow" material on their previous releases. Especially Love Kraft, which has some really nice slow tempo pieces, very melodic, and very well written songs. However on Hey Venus, we have some long slow tempo songs that don't stand up to any of the material on Love Kraft. I'm comparing Hey Venus to Love Kraft because you can't even compare Hey Venus to Rings around The World or Fuzzy Logic, those albums are in a completely different league altogether.

Before I get started with the song listing, let me say that Gruff Rhys latest solo album, Candylion, is self-described by Rhys as "mellower acoustic songs" as compared with SFA.
I have to disagree totally. Gruff Rhys solo material from Candylion is much more lively than this release, maybe mellower in the sense of acoustic guitars and less production, but faster overall and much more dynamic. It seems that Gruff Rhys has saved some of his best material for his solo release. This is unfortunate because I believe SFA could have done an incredible job with Gruff Rhys solo material, and the resulting album would have been much better than this release, "Hey, Venus".

Here is a rundown of the songs on the album. I've listened to every one of SFA's releases since the beginning, so trust me, this is the real deal.

1) Gateway Song- Clocking in at under a minute this song is sort of an intro to the album, and although it's upbeat and fun, it lacks direction and melody. It sounds like some 70's stuff like Bob Seger or Huey Lewis.

2)Run Away- A very generic title to an excellent song, with Beach Boys influences, Jesus and Mary Chain also come to mind. Great harmonies and melodies. A 5-star SFA song!

3)Show Your Hand - Another excellent track, medium tempo, with great melodies and harmonies. Keeps you looking forward to the rest of the album, but unfortunately....

4)The Gift that Keeps Giving- All of the sudden the album slows down to a crawl with this song, although a pretty piece of music, this song is fairly generic 70's-80's sounding pop and much too slow for the 4th song on this disc.

5)Neo Consumer- Thankfully this track picks of the pace again, and tries to capture the older SFA sound, unsuccessfully in my opinion, too repetetive and uninventive, but a really nice sounding track, I give this track 3 1/2 stars.

6)Into the Night- another generic song title for a really good track. This track keeps up the pace of the previous track and adds some inventiveness and unique SFA sounds. Really nice, but lacking in melody. Just a little more melody would have made this a 5 star track, instead I give it 4 stars.

7)Baby ate My Eightball - A very creative song title for a very repetetive track with nice harmonies and effects. However, this track is much too repetetive for my taste, lacking in creativeness but fun with a lot of energy. A 3 star track.

8)Carbon Dating- Well, it's bedtime folks...Take a long nap....This track clocks in at over 4 minutes and is quite boring in my opinion. Beginning with a very nice horns and going into a 60's type organ sound, I got my hopes up but when I started to fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon I realized something was missing. This track really begins to bring the album down to a snails pace, although I really like this track, it's a little long and should have been followed by an uptempo piece, but unfortunately...

9) Suckers - Another snail-paced track, and over 4 minutes long! Jesus, what's happening here? This track is sappy, and over produced in my opinion, very slick, I don't like it much at all. It starts off nice, but the acoustic guitar is soon overtaken by piano, then strings, then stadium guitar, all meshed together. I don't like this track at all, but I'll give it 2 stars for a pretty melody.

10) Battersea Oddyssey- Thank God, I was scared at the beginning of this track because it started out slow, but thankfully picked up to a normal pace, although not fast enough for my taste, especially for this slow paced disc. Very nice potential here, but much too repetetive again! The sound is great, nice melodies, but it doesn't go anywhere. 3 1/2 stars for this track.

11) Let the wolves howl at the Moon- This track should be called, "Let me sleep calmly under the Moon while the Wolves Howl". You could sleep through anything with this track playing in the background. I don't like this track, it's too slow and slick and sounds like some generic 70's stuff that a didn't like back then either. Maybe this is a bonus track, I'm not sure, but either way, they should have picked up the pace, this track is so slow and boring. 2 stars for this track

I used to really like SFA, but I can't listen to this disc all the way through again. Too bad for a band this good. Why all the slow junk???? C'mon, we don't want slow!!!!! There is too much slow music already out there, pick up the pace SFA and get back in the race!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Guerilla, but not good enough..., 29 Aug 2007

3.0 out of 5 stars good not their best, 11 July 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
i heard a copy of it at a friends house, it was 11 (short;) tracks long and only played for 35 min so it may not be the full thing but...

i gave it 3 as i cant give 3.5: 3 seems harsh but 4 is abit too high -as the furrys set such high standards!

the first half:
pretty popy, more like early days radiator stuff (which i love) than natural progression of love kraft & phantom power...
that said i dont know if theyre keeping true to form here. i think the (effort?) to be more early days/poppy might be going against their natural evolution and, i think, they just havent pulled it off as well here as they have before.(eg. track 3 'run away'?, track6 (hey venus!) & track 4 -ive no complete track list ;).
i dont know if it was a conscious effort to have more radio friendly stuff after love kraft but it seems alittle less 'genuine'. -that said there IS some good solid furry craftsmanship here, but it just isnt their best...
(eg.track1: 'suckers'?, track2: 'show your hand' & track5: 'let wolves at the moon' -again no t.list so ?) i think 'show your hand' is a good choice for a single, even though its not the best track on there, it represents the album accurately (ie.good -not their best)

the second half:
tracks 7(gift that keeps giving?), 8(giving song?), 9 (is it me?) & 10 (fantasy?) seem to be more mellow & more part of the love kraft (& slightly phantom power) progression ...but again, theyre just not as strong. it has the same mood and over all sound, enjoyable but not as full or rich as love kraft.
tracks 9 & 10 being the highlights. infact fantasy is fantastic tune, been in my head for days!

the copy i heard was strange in that it ended on what seemed to be a bonus track (11:baby ate my 8ball?) it is the best pop song on there, but it should have gone on the first half -it stood out alot as a closer!

so if you werent mad about their latest stuff you may like the catchier tunes. but if youre looking for the typical sfa progression of getting better and better i think theyre not quite on the mark here. that said it may need more listens as it is overall quite a mellow album...
the 'suckers' & 'fantasy' tracks are by far the stand out bests here!!

when i BUY it (when it comes out) im just hoping there are more songs on the full release to get stuck into! but if it dont its still definitely worth getting, its the furrys afterall...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hey Venus!
Hey Venus! by Super Furry Animals (Audio CD - 2007)