4.0 out of 5 stars Super Furry Belter........
At first, I was a bit underwhelmed by this effort. Im a massive SFA fan, and on first rotation, it seemed a bit of a let down. But I really should have known better. I shouldnt have doubted them. Its a cracker. Fairly short by their standards, but still delivers everything you'd expect from the furries.

Its actually a lot more closer in style to their early...
Published on 31 Aug. 2007 by Mr. MJ Spitty

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed bag, mostly good
This is another decent album from SFA, and overall it has a much more robust, 'Fuzzy Logic' type sound to it than the predominantly acoustic nature of their previous few albums. Having said that, the best song here - "The Gift That Keeps Giving" - is right up there with the most serene moments on 'Rings Around The World'. A beautiful slow song with great harmonies, it...
Published on 12 Oct. 2007 by black-syrup

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Album, 26 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
There's been a certain air of negativity surrounding this album which I find a tad strange. Yes "Hey Venus" doesn't match up to the brilliance of "Radiator", "Mwng", or "Phantom Power" but it's still a lot better than the woeful "LoveKraft" and has many great moments to keep it going.

Hey Venus is a solid 4 star album that should be regarded as a definite purchase for any SFA fans. Non furry fans might want to start elsewhere though (probably Radiator, which serves as a great introduction to the band.)

Best Tracks

Run Away
The Gift That Keeps Giving
Battersea Oddysea

5.0 out of 5 stars The Super Furries Go Pop!, 16 July 2007
B.A.S. (watford, herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
Love Kraft was a great album. Slightly proggy, slightly contemplative and full of mellow lengthy tunes. Like a fine, er, Welsh wine, vintage SF from 2006. The acoustic Gruff solo album was just as good.

Hey Venus! is as different as you could get. Shiny, new, bright, funny, uplifting. The "!" in the title says it all.
Most of the tracks are fast paced space-pop/rock. Gruff's spoken Intros to the first - and the second track! - giving it all a wonderful irony.

Baby Ate My Eightball, Neo Consumer and Carbon Dating are their best pop moments since who knows when.
But the slow tracks are just as memorable. The gospel like Gift That Keeps Giving, Let the Wolves howl at the Moon and most of all Suckers, possibly the best, and simplest and LOL funny, social commentary SFA have ever done. "Suckers on the Tennis Courts." Genius

5.0 out of 5 stars A grower, 31 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
Before Love Kraft I believe they improved with every album, so far (4 listens)& they have got back on track,this ranks with Rings as probably the 2nd best thing they've done. They have never done a dud album, everything they do is worth listening to, even if sometimes it does'nt quite work - & live they are absolutely stunning!! For me Suckers is the stand out track, but then I'm a Demons/Bleed Forever/Carry The Can man ! If the best bits were combined with Gruff's solo album you would have the album of the year without a shadow of a doubt. I'm biased but a new album by SFA gets my juices flowing and over 8 albums (plus Outspaced) I've never been dissappointed. I feel they are one of those bands where regardless of reviews people will buy - purely because they are the Furries & rightly so, it's not about loyalty but about their music which is always interesting. Buy this & Candylion & create your own best album of 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form!, 2 Aug. 2007
Tom Clarke (Barcelona, Catalunya) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of the Furries since Fuzzy Logic days... to my mind, this is the best work they've produced since Guerilla.

There aren't any weak songs on this album, but there are several particularly strong ones. Run-Away has a sort of Pulp-esque sound to it (obviously, this is a good thing) - it's proof of the fact that SFA have long been among the very best pop song writers.

Next, the triptych which for me is the strongest part of the album. Neo Consumer, Into The Night and Baby Ate My Eightball are all powerful, guitar led stompers and it feels great to have three in a row like this. Personally, my favourite is Into The Night, a classic-rock soaked, funk pie.

Carbon dating and Battersea Oddyssey bring back a bit of that classic psychedelia the Furries do so well.

All in all, a wonderful album that comes highly recommended. It's a shame they couldn't have released it at the beginning of summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm gonna have my say on this one., 29 Aug. 2007
Mr. D. J. Hill (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
Alright, I need to put my oar in and say that this really is a superb album. I must admit that I wasn't so keen the first time round but by the second and third I was there. My only issue with this album is that it's just too short by far. What's that all about?

Also, to address the whole "Show Your Hand didn't make into the top 40 in the first week" thing, is it hardly surprising considering that it seemed to have absolutely zero publicity. I only knew about it because I was poking about the SFA website one day and happened to spot the news, otherwise I saw no advertisement, heard no radio play and read no reviews.

Anyway, that's all I have to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Furry Fresh!!, 27 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
This is album is excellent. It captures the Furries at their best.
Their first album to be released from the new label Rough Trade & 8 albums into their career & it the Furries are as fresh as ever!!

Ok... it has a few slong songs like 'The Gift that keeps giving' but they are still excellent songs!! This just shows the variation in their music!

Running Away, Baby Ate My Eightball, Neo Consumer, Show Your Hand are all as good if not better than they have ever done before.

Cannot wait for the tour now!!
SFA OK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuzzy days of old and pool ball diets!, 29 Aug. 2007
C. Whitworth "juliehill87" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
I took a ticket aboard the goodship Love craft (steerage). A strange and sometimes wondrous journey.But tragically not as memorable as other Super Furry excursions. This is altogether a more fuzzy experience and like days of old. Keep off that path to the middle,stick to the pool ball diet and entertain us all forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best record of 2007?, 28 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
A true return to form for SFA. This is their poppiest and most accessible work: catchy tunes, witty lyrics and lush arrangements made this record a real gem. Shame it ends too soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gurff And his Furry Animals, are super on Hey Venus, 28 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
For me their have been few British bands, that have been able to successfully meld together a mishmash of eclectic genres and still manage to make an holistic album.

Their last two albums saw this band tone there fuzzy stoner based rock to a more expansive and slightly mellower sound.

Hey Venus! Sees the furryies going back to their old style of fuzzy based stoner rock, which some may be unhappy to see as it could been seen as the band regressing musical.

Which they kind of do on this album, but to be honest, its not that big of a deal as this album is a quality album.

This album is chock full of soon to be live favorites, singles "Show Your Hand" and "Neo Consumer" are as singable as anything that the band have done in the past, and the same goes for the wonderful "Baby Ate My 8 Ball".

This album is supposed to tell the story of a girl who is moving from the tranquil country to a buzzing city, but the story inst too easy to see, but that is only a minor quibble.

Eight albums down the track and the supper furry animals have still not lost that scene of reckless magic that made me fall in love them, and the good news is that we wont have to wait too long for album number nine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their greatest peice of work, 29 Jan. 2008
N. Thompson "Beaker" (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hey Venus! (Audio CD)
The Super Furry Animals have been around a long time and Ive always had a soft spot for them, although I have never been a huge fan but that has now changed.

This album is a wonderful collection of songs. Mellow, intelligent, deep and one to listen too when your chilled out. I have bought all their albums and before I listened to this I thought they were on a slight decline .... but this new album is outstanding. It may take a few listens to get into it, but once your their it becomes a favourite.
One of the best albums I bought in 2007. Excellent, cant wait for the next.

Hey Venus!
Hey Venus! by Super Furry Animals (Audio CD - 2007)