5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant fun, for anyone
Published on 26 Dec 2007 by Bj Lucas

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for its short lifespan
Although obviously aimed at X Factor fans this game does have enough general music questions to keep the occasional viewer entertained.

Published on 3 Dec 2007 by Mart

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for its short lifespan, 3 Dec 2007
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It's entirely endorsed by the producers of the program, so we have the real X Factor music, the four current judges Louis Walsh, Sharon Osbourne, Danni Minogue and Simon Cowell, and the cheekily happy Fearne Cotton keeps the whole thing moving at a good pace. She reads out all the questions throughout the game and changes her outfit for each new round.

The game can be played by up to 4 players (I'm not sure why one person would play on their own?) and is quite simple, but that's not to criticise, for its appeal is in its simplicity. To win the game you have to answer questions correctly (using your DVD remote), getting a few bonus points along the way, and hopefully ending up in the Grand Final. The first one to get there and answer the Grand Final question correctly wins. It's as simple as that. A brief explanation of the 4 rounds is as follows:

Round 1. THE AUDITIONS

Fearne shows us a 10 second clip, taken from any of the previous X Factor Series, and asks us to guess whether the performer made it to Boot Camp. Guess correctly and you get a point, get it wrong and Fearne tells you off. Some of the clips are hilariously bad.

Round 2. BOOTCAMP

Once at Bootcamp you are given a category (Groups, 25+, etc) and again have to answer questions, but this time they are multi choice and are based on general music knowledge as well as X Factor based.

Round 3. JUDGES HOMES

Here you retain your allocated category and answer multi choice questions against the clock, having 5 seconds to make your guess. This is a good round for speeding up the game.

Round 4. LIVE SHOWS

In this final round you are in danger of going out. Answer incorrectly and the judges decide your fate. This part is a bit disappointing, for the judges `decision' is no more than a short clip of them voting off, or keeping in, an act from one of the X Factor Finals. If they stay, you stay, and if they get voted out so do you. Game over.

The aim is to earn ten points from 5 questions - you can select from easy (1 point), medium (2 points) or hard (3 points) - and if you reach Week Ten, The Grand X Factor Final, simply answer the final question to win the game.

Yes, the game is for X Factor fans, and yes it will be short-lived because that's all we require of this type of game. Two players can finish it in under half an hour, and the chattering Fearne Cotton does a great job of keeping the whole thing lightheartedy skipping along (the judges clearly needed no input as all their clips and comments are from previous shows).

Good lighthearted fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant fun, for anyone, 26 Dec 2007
Bj Lucas "saculnamron" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The X Factor Interactive DVD Game [2007] (Interactive DVD)
I received this as a Christmas gift. To get past the audition stage, you have to guess correctly whether an auditionee got through or not. from then on answering questions to make it from boot camp, through to the live shows and finally the grand final. wicked fun, My brother played along with me and he's not even really a classic x factor fan and enjoyed himself. you'll love it whether you're into X factor, or music in general.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the X factor, but not a cheap cash-in either, 28 Nov 2007
Mr. S. O'kane "snagii" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've got to be honest here: if it hadn't been for the fact I got this as a gift recently I would have been the wrong person to review this game properly. I am a music buff and so a quiz like this is a tad more easier than the music questions at my local pub quiz night. However, this isn't all that bad for what it is.

Luckily, the wife and I are fans of the show (though not necessarily the records released in its wake) and the odd clip or two punctuating the questions stirred a few memories of past shows and familiar X factor faces. It was a bit of a glide through to the final rounds for me but I'd imagine some of the question will tax many out there with even the slightest knowledge of music trivia. However, to my surprise, the final question to win the X Factor was a real toughie and I got lucky...on my 2nd attempt! Oops.

Another worthwhile feature is the chance - in Round 1 - to be one of the 4 judges and decide if a contestant makes it through. In some cases it's very easy to guess correctly that the caterwauler in front of you didn't go anywhere near bootcamp, but with others it's far less obvious. In fact, I incorrectly guessed the future status of quite a few of the contestants in the first round.

Unfortunately, although all of this was fun the game has two big faults which marred the overall experience for me. Firstly, it's presented by Ferne Cotton. Yikes! Her schoolgirl over-excitedness about the most meagre of details was really irritating after a while (thank goodness we don't watch the Xtra Factor these days!). In the 2nd game that I played I just flicked on as soon as she appeared (cruel, I know) which meant the game went very quickly!! Now why couldn't they afford the eminently likeable Dermot O'Leary?

Secondly, whither Sharon Osbourne, Louis Walsh and Dannii Minogue? They're credited on Amazon for 'starring' in this DVD but (unless I've missed out on some clips) their appearance on this X Factor DVD seems to be non-existent. Their photos are on the cover but that's it as far as their 'involvement' seems to go. However, for those who *love* Simon Cowell, he's the *star* of the show with oodles of clips of him saying 'fantastic', 'you're a hotel singer' etc. Hmm, I wonder why that is??!!

But I'm digressing. As I said, it's not a bad bit of fun and would probably be perfect for a post-Xmas dinner bit of fun with drinks all round. That is if you can stomach Fern!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for the family, 27 Dec 2007
P. Barclay "professional technophile" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just like the show, this DVD has superb graphics, launching into the game with a cosmic zoom from out of space. Fern Cotton guides us through the game, as she does the live show, with great verve and energy.

The game is very easy to get into: the rules are simple, the context familiar and the questions are straightforward. The quality of the production is evident throughout with clear video and audio. Fern's dialogue works well with the game play and doesn't seem overly stereotyped, although there is obviously some repetition.

The show features questions about the previous 2 series but does not have any questions about the latest series which was in production at the time the DVD was made. Hopefully later versions of this game will be updated to include clips of Rhyddian, Leon and the others.

We enjoyed playing this game for an hour: it made a very pleasant alternative to watching television. I think we will enjoy playing it again a few more times as a family in the coming months.

This game lacks any addictive need to repetitively play the game and reach higher level, which is a major plus point.

All in all, a good gift for the X factor afficionado which will give a few hours of fun at a reasonable price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only for diehard fans, 18 Dec 2007
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This DVD Game will bore anyone but diehard fans of the X factor. Up to four contestants can play up to four rounds, but the format is uninspired to say the least. All questions revolve around knowing (or guessing) what happened in the X factor series. The game is `spiced up' in between by what is meant to be funky music, but which is only enervating. Ferne Cotton's comments are vapid to annoying and the move between the sections just a tadge too slow to really create an engaging atmosphere.
While I'm sure young enthusiasts of the show will find enough to keep themselves happy for a while, I'm equally sure no-one else will.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should keep people entertained for a few hours., 11 Dec 2007
Astore Stargazer (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although not a big fan of the X-factor or any of the reality Star today forgotten tomorrow TV shows, (Shayne Ward springs to mind) we went into playing this a little tongue in cheek. Firstly, it is difficult to review an item such as this, due to nature of only playing it with just two people when four people playing it would have no doubt attained higher marks due to the group fun factor. Add the spirit of Christmas day, a Turkey and some alcohol and hey presto you got yourself a really fun couple of hours. However playing it before bedtime with just the two of you and there is a significant difference. Although still enjoyable we played it right until the end, and it does get quite involved, however it didn't seem to like our downstairs DVD player so we ended up having to play it upstairs due to keep looping back to certain point of the game which was incredibly annoying, I would think other players might fall victim to this also, (the one it kept looping on was a Sony).

All in all though the content is quite good and generally its one of the better interactive games I've played. It's very different to the usual quiz types that are available and you are guaranteed some real good laughs with Sharon Ozzy and Cold Hearted Cowell along the way, and the range of misfits and absurd auditions right before they head off to boot camp. If you're a big fan of the X Factor then this is certainly the one for you and if you just want to have a laugh on Christmas Day to kill a few hours while your letting the Turkey settle then this could provide some good fun for the family.

3.0 out of 5 stars ...budget priced chrimbo time passer..., 1 Dec 2007
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well I'll be totally up front and admit that I've never seen a whole X Factor, only seeing clips on other peoples programmes, but I do like to think I know a fair bit about music, so was willing to give it a crack.

And it was alright. Straight out of the box, I got to the Grand Final only to be foiled by an X Factor specific question! Gosh darned Ben Mills, whoever he is.

Which means it really is for fans of the show, although not that many questions seem to hinge on show trivia. Like the gosh darned middle name of Ben Mills (see above). The game play is extremely straightforward, so even a non gamer like me can manage to click the right buttons at the behest of the luscious Fearne Cotton.

As with the show (at least so I gather), you start off jusging auditions, before heading for bootcamp, the judges' homes, the live shows and, ta-dah!, The Grand Final. You can have up to four players, so if you're really stuck for something to do on a cold winters night, it's an entertaining enough distraction. The downside of the game is having to agree with the judges, rather than any actual interactive game play, which means the early stuff can be a bit boring, before it turns into a music quiz.

After a few plays, the questions repeat themselves fairly quickly, so it's not something for the long haul, but as Amazon are selling it for just over a tenner, it's not the end of the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars lacking a cetain something...., 30 Nov 2007
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like "The x-factor" or have a keen interest in music then you will enjoy this - it is a good christmas present to give and will appeal to all ages. I do fear that my interest in the music of Radiohead, Massive Attack and Led Zeppelin may make me unsuitable to review this product without prejudice so please read the reviews around mine and see what they they say. Personally I think it's ok, I've seen worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Family Fun!!, 21 Nov 2007
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The X Factor Interactive DVD Game is fabulous!! It is easy to understand, and easy to play. You don't have to be a terrific fan of the programme to play the game (but it helps if you are) as at each stage there is a help page that you can view. We played it as a family and had great fun!! The questions cover all the previous and current X Factor shows, and the music trivia questions are quite wide-ranging, so there is a good chance for everyone to shine!! I think that this game will be very much sought after for Christmas, and will provide hours of entertainment. I have to say that some of the questions are quite hard and you do need some knowledge of the programme to answer them, and, obviously Simon, Louis Sharon and Dannii have their comments to make (always entertaining!). Get a few friends round, pour the drinks and settle down to some good ol' fun!! It definitely gets full marks from me!

3.0 out of 5 stars X-Factor fanatics only..., 20 Nov 2007
Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you haven't watched all the series's of X Factor then this probably isn't the game for you.

This game is for upto 4 players and unlike some other DVD games does load quite quickly without lots of waiting around. Fearne Cotton presents the rules and it's very easy to play.

There are different rounds in this game.
Round 1 - judge 3 auditions should they go to boot camp yes or no. This bit was fun especially as we often disagreed with the judges and had fun shouting at the TV.
Round 2 - multiple choice round but the questions were on a range of subjects some of which were well before my era and I'm 25, I was playing with a 10 year old and he had no idea whatsoever on some of the questions. If you got the question right you got a bonus question.
PROBLEM - some questions were reliant on you having watched a specific series of the X Factor, if you hadn't seen it you had no choice but to guess the correct answer.
Round 3- more questions ... same problem as before lots relied on X Factor knowledge
Final round - 3 choices of questions which I liked - easy, med or hard. There were 10 weeks in the final and you get 5 questions to try and get to the final. I hated that the first person to get to week 10 won if they got their question right regardless of whether player 2 would have got to week 10 if they'd got to have their turn.

This game actually only took 30 minutes to play with 3 players and I won by guessing most of the answers.

If you like X Factor you'll probably love round 1 and will enjoy some of the questions you'll know from watching the series but I must admit I was a bit disappointed in this game.

The X Factor Interactive DVD Game [2007]
The X Factor Interactive DVD Game [2007] by Simon Cowell (Interactive DVD - 2007)
1.85