5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Film Favorites - Hammer Horror Dracula, 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: 4 Film Favorites: Draculas [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
A fine collection of classic Hammer Horror. The Horror of Dracula is the best one, the rest are pretty good films aswell, Dracula 1972 was a blast lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 7 Feb 2013
Mr. J. Henderson "Jonboy Geordieguy" (UK North East) - See all my reviews
A great purchase with 4 classics in one box a must of any hammer fan or Christopher Lee fan well worth it

4.0 out of 5 stars Cushing and lee...what's not to like!, 12 Sep 2013
This is an excellent 4 movie value set from Warner Brothers. Although it's a cheap set - don't be fooled into thinking the quality is impaired in any way. These are simply a repackaging of the separate movies into a 4 pack set. All movie's are in anamorphic widescreen with great picture quality. These films are released separately here in the U.K, so if you have a multi-region DVD player and want to save a few quid then this is a no brainer. The only disappointment, and this is just a minor niggle for me, is that i'd have liked to have seen "The satanic rites of dracula" included as it's a direct follow up to "Dracula 72ad" also the discs themselves are double sided, with 2 films on each disc, unfortunately because of this there is no label to identify each movie.

1. Dracula (aka Horror of Dracula) 8.5/10
2. Dracula has risen from the grave 7.5/10
3. Taste the blood of Dracula 7.5/10
4. Dracula AD1972 8/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 1 Mar 2011
Dennis Holmberg "Holmberg" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
When I bought this box set, I had only watched one of the films before. That was The horror of Dracula. That one I always found was too rushed, too sloppy, too halfhearted, and too unfaithful to the source, which is Stoker's novel. Many people think of this as the definitive version though, and maintain that the sequels are vastly inferior to it. I was pleased to find out that I found the sequels much more inspired than the first Hammer Dracula film. Now they no longer had to include elements of Stoker's novel, which they would not be faithful to anyway, not even in spirit, but instead had the freedom to place the Romanian bloodsucker in new settings. And somehow, it is a much more satisfying way to put him on the screen. Lee was born to play Dracula, he even looks like Stoker's description of "the man". Unfortunately, I have to agree with Lee that none of the films he made for Hammer or Jess Franco presented the vampire as he should be. In fact none of the film versions do. But Lee and Cushing are always interesting to watch, and I do think that the sequels managed to build up a good eerie, creepy, sinister atmosphere.

Many Dracula films have been made, and none of them, not even among the best ones, have been perfect, but I think that Lee, Palance, and Oldman came closer than the rest.

The BBC version was the most faithful to the novel, and had a great Van Helsing in Frank Finlay, but it suffered from the same horrible lighting in photography that also dragged other seventies' BBC productions, such as Upstairs & Donwnstairs, and I.CLaudius down. And Jourdan is not very menacing at all.

The Hammer versions are generally a bit cheap, and the first one is downright sloppy and a mutilation of the story, but the sequels improve some (which I normally never think sequels do), and they have a great Dracula.

Dan Curtis' TV version has a great Dracula in Jack Palance, and a good Holmwood, in Simon Ward, but it takes too many and too big liberties with the source.It shares the theme of reincarnated love with Coppola's, and like it's younger succesor also identifies Dracula with the real Vlad Dracula Tepes. Great idea. But like Horror of Dracula goes too far when it makes Jonathan a vampire, and like the Hammer version leaves out too many characters.

Coppola's is the visually most beautiful in photography, prduction design and visual effects, had the greatest creepy, evil score, the hottest vampire brides, the best Renfield (Tom Waits), and a very underrated Dracula in Gary Oldman. Unfortunately it had two very unconvincing young Americans as Jonathan and Mina (Reeves and Ryder), too much unnecessary love story, and a Van Helsing whose dialogue did not always make sense. But all in all, I this is my favorite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Great (:, 21 Feb 2013
I am a big Hammer fan so the 4 in 1 aspect of this wad great! I loved Horror of Dracula and Dracula Has Risen From the Grave - classic Hammer. Dracula AD 1972 was good, an interesting change from the usual 1800s time period setting, the only offputting thing in that one was the awful 70s music played a lot throughout it! But the actual storyline was good so I would still watch it again.
The only problem that I had was that Taste the Blood of Dracula would not play on my dvd player... I don't know why it just said I'm in "the wrong region" to play it. I assume this must be because I live in the UK and it says it's a US import?
Anyway had I been able to watch that one I'm sure I would have given 5 stars. 3 movies is still very good for that price so I'd definitely still reccommend it!

4 Film Favorites: Draculas [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]