5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - well worth it
This product is really great.

I must admit I didn't quite believe it at first as it is quite expensive for a pot of honey. However I have found it to be better at clearing up a cold than all of the medicines you get from a chemist. I particularly use it on my two children (you cannot give it to a child under 1 year).

I really would suggest getting...
Published on 20 Mar 2008 by GeorgieB

1.0 out of 5 stars Be aware, NOT UMF!!!
Published 10 months ago by M. Meszaros

1.0 out of 5 stars Be aware, NOT UMF!!!, 21 Oct 2013
M. Meszaros (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
"In October 2011, Britain's Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA) tested a small sample of five brands of manuka honey from shop shelves. Only one, made by Comvita, was up to standard. The other four (from Nelson Honey, Honeyco Rainforest, Littleover Apiaries and Native New Zealand Manuka Honey) showed no detectable "non-peroxide activity", the anti-bacterial properties special to manuka honey."
[...]

The difference between UMF and "Active" Manuka:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - well worth it, 20 Mar 2008
GeorgieB (Arundel,West Sussex,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
This product is really great.

I really would suggest getting some to keep in the fridge to cure those coughs and colds. I am not sure why a simple pot of honey works, but it does!

5.0 out of 5 stars Manuka honey, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
I highly recommend using manuka honey. I've been drinking it once a day for 6 weeks now & it's done wonders for my psoriasis

1.0 out of 5 stars INCORRECT AND MISREPRESENTED MANUKA HONEY, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
This honey is not a UMF or NPA Manuka Honey. The NPA ("non peroxide activity") is the antibacterial activity contained within some Manuka Honey - but not all. UMF and NPA are the same - UMF is just a trademarked "brand" that guarantees the NPA activity, whereas NPA is the scientific measure. Both are correct.

Honey companies promoting and advertising Total Active Honey as being the same as UMF or NPA are fraudulent and must be avoided. There are plenty of legitimate NPA Manuka Honeys available within the UK. These guys would have been fine until they implied that their honey is UMF and printed this:

"Manuka Honey has been found to have an antibacterial activity in addition to hydrogen peroxide. UMF is a highly beneficial antibacterial property naturally present some strains of manuka honey. Studies are showing manuka honey with a high levels of UMF(UMF10 or higher) helps the natural healing processes and is the preferred honey when selecting honey for its healing qualities."

I say again - UMF is not, as they state here, "a highly beneficial antibacterial property" - it isn't. It is a trademarked guarantee that the NPA is as stated by the number.

But they must stipulate NPA or have the UMF moniker. Total Activity is just the activity in the honey - and most honeys contains some activity... read the label and check that it is a) NZ Manuka b) it is not a blend c) it contains NPA and a number or the UMF logo and a number if what you are actually after is the health benefit associated with NPA Manuka.

Don't buy this honey expecting it to be NPA 15+ as its not. If you like the taste - eat it - but you can buy non-NPA Manuka Honey for a cheaper cost than this. If you're buying it for health and "medicinal " reasons - don't.

Caveat Emptor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
Manuka is so expensive was very pleased to find this, tastes great, same quality as one I've been paying twice as much for, so will look for this again.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not real Manuka Honey, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
I bought this product as i was conducting an experiment investigating the antibacterial activity of honey. I tested it against a very weak strain of E coli (k12) and found that it provided no antibacterial activity at all when diluted to 50%. Real manuka honey has been shown to be antibacterial at 1% against the very same strain. Not only was this product not antibacterial, it caused the E coli to grow wildly out of control, as if i had just fed them sugar. I repeated the experiment twice after this, and the results were the same.

This may very well be Manuka honey, but its been processed so much its not very antibacterial at all, and i would assume that most of the benefit people claim is placebo :/

I wouldn't buy this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manuka Honey, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
I regularly order this product: Manuka honey is a wonderful natural way to relieve various ailments. It does all that it claims, and would recommend it to everyone. I will be reordering again in the very near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and unique, 22 Sep 2011
Pauline Manville "'rockin' rhona'" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
This honey is a wonder. I suffer with acid reflux and am allergic to the medications. I started taking the honey on a small piece of bread twice a day. My acid problems and heartburn are greatly reduced, and I seem to be improving all the time so will continue. It has many benefits so can only have good side effects. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great honey for a great price., 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
I have paid over 20 for pots of honey smaller than this, And I have to say that this is the nicest tasting honey I have had so far. the texture and thickness is perfect. I usually have a teaspoon every day or 2 just for general well-being, But something else I noticed is that I had a cold and just from taking this It lasted only 2 days! Thats the shortest cold I have ever had!

Highly recommend this product and will be buying again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms (Grocery)
There is no doubt that this honey tastes wonderful and is worth buying for that reason alone. It may be pure coincidence that since I've been using it I have not suffered from seasonal hayfever, colds, sore throats etc. I have recommended its use to friends with a range of conditions and ailments and they have all noticed a significant improvement.

Nelsons Active Manuka Honey Gold - 500gms