5.0 out of 5 stars Point and Shoot

2.0 out of 5 stars Lumix FX33
Published on 7 Sep 2008 by T8Squadron

5.0 out of 5 stars Point and Shoot, 22 Dec 2007
PB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX33EB Digital Camera - Black (8.1MP, 3.6 x Optical) 28mm Wide-Angle Lens (Electronics)
**Please regard this as a 4.5 star review**

I love photography, and I love to have control over the image-taking process. However, control over a compact digital camera is a rather fruitless affair because there is so much depth of field to the images. So, given the creative limitations that you naturally have with compacts, what should you be looking for? Well, sharp images, good colour, ease-of-use, compactness, good build quality and a nice field of view range.

The stand-out part of this camera is probably the Leica lens. 28-100 is the perfect range. A nice wide angle for indoor and landscape shots up to a very useable telephoto end. Range aside, the lens also has a very good Image Stablisation feature (far better in the lens than on the sensor!). The lens is superb, giving lovely sharpness and colour as well as perfectly reasonable light-gathering ability in low-light conditions. That, coupled with the Image Stabilisation means that the camera is very useful in parties and other low-lit situations - with or without the flash. Speaking of the flash, it does a nice job without washing out all features. No more eyeballs and nostril pics.

Also nice are the three aspects - traditional photoframe and two "widescreen" modes -- very nice for playback on TVs/monitors and impactful panaromas.

The Panasonic doesn't offer you much by way of control, but it does offer PIC modes. These help, but I found that the full-auto iA mode is very good at working out what you're trying to achieve - especially when you enable the face detection mode. The Image Stabilisation works very well and the high ISO noise, although not as well resolved as say the Fuji F31 or Canon models, is not as bad as previous Panasonics ("Venus as a noise" as Bjork once said -- but the Venus III engine is certainly better than previous incarnations). The noise is certainly there at ISO 400, but no more than if you used ISO 400 film. On a 6x4 print, the noise would be more than acceptable. Even upto ISO1250, the noise is perfectly acceptable - especially at sensible print sizes. An ISO1250 shot might not be the best option for a 12x10 print, but then no compact would really give you that without some PC-work (and probably turning to black and white). For real world situations, I'm not put off by the noise.

I bought this camera for my parents who wanted a simple to use P&S camera. This camera does tick all the boxes and provides very good images. The included software is more than adequate and also pretty easy to use.

I would recommend this model over the FX55, which is identical other than a 0.5" larger viewing screen. It's a lot of money to spend on little extra benefit.

If your photographic needs are to have a neat, stylish camera which takes excellent shots without any user-intervention, this is for you. If you want full creative control, I would say that you won't really get it without going for a DSLR. Depth of field control on a compact with a small sensor is not possible - fine if you want lots of DoF, but not so for shallow DoF. So, buy the camera in the knowledge that it has loads of good points, one so-so point in the noise.

If it's a compact you want, certainly put this on your shortlist and try it out against the competition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good at lower ISO, 10 Dec 2007
The Good:
Engineering & assembly quality is excellent. Stated "made in Japan". Battery life is good. Controls fall easily where they should, the
menues are logical & easy to navigate.
Wide angle & Macro work well. AF is acurate & fast.
Face detection generally accurate with good results.
On occasions can be confused if the subject(s) wearing glasses, or has long hair falling forwards. The LCD is big & bright, & auto adjusts to the prevailing ambient light.
The many scene modes are a bonus, and generally function as intended. The 7 frames per second mode is good for nature or sports shots.
No red-eye on any of the images taken using the built-in flash.
Results are very good in Auto mode, with the ISO fixed at Max 400, ISO 200 is better. I.S.functions well.

The "Not so Good"
8.1MP on a small CCD sensor results in a grainy/noisy image above ISO 400.
Insanely, the ISO can be manually adjusted up to 6'400! (HI ISO MODE)

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality truly pocketable camera, 29 Jan 2008
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
So often I've missed shots because I left my camera behind because it was too cumbersome to carry around.
I wanted a camera that fitted into my pocket, had a wide-angle lens and gave quality results. The wide-angle lens is important because the camera is often used indoors in limited space. The Panasonic delivers in all respects.
I looked at the Canon i860 and the Panasonic DMC-TZ3, both very good cameras but just a little too big. There is also a version of the DMC-FX33 with a larger screen, the DMC-FX55, but the back of the camera looked cramped, and it cost a lot more!
The camera is beautiful to hold, it just oozes quality. All controls are readily to hand. There is no viewfinder, but being left-handed I could never use them anyway, and the screen is nice and bright. The A-i mode does a good job in determining the scene, portrait, scenery, macro and night modes but you can also select individual scene modes; there is no manual control but this isn't that kind of camera. Pictures are very good although highlights can be a little washed out, this can , however, be corrected with something like Paint shop Pro.
Movie mode is surprisingly good. If you do buy a high capacity SD-HC card, which the camera supports, you may need to buy a new card-reader as not all support them.
The wrist-strap doesn't have a cord to tighten it to your wrist, which makes it all but useless, seems surprising given the attention to detail on the rest of the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 6 Feb 2008
Mr. K (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera a couple of weeks ago and am very very pleased. I have been used to a DSLR like Fuji camera and it came as a shock how small the FX 33 really is. It is tiny, will fit into a shirt/trouser pocket no probs, just don't forget when you sit down!

It is very light too and find all the controls in the right place. Some say the buttons are too small but I disagree. I find it very intuitive and have hardly needed to read the manual. The wide angle lens is brilliant, especially in movie mode as you can film in 16:9 widescreen, not many cameras do that but how many people have widescreen TVs nowadays. The screen on the camera is brilliant. It is so clear it is incredible.

I have opted for the 2GB Extreme 3 Scandisk memory card. This gives 500 pics in 8 megapixel mode or 805 in 5 megapixel mode (6 megapixel plus is only useful if you are to print beyond A4 size). 2GB gives around 15 minutes of movie in maximum quality. I am thinking of buying a 4GB SDHC (released after 18/02/08) for movie mode only.

The optical stablisation is good and have two settings. The sceen modes are endless and there is also and extra optical zoom (EZ) mode (that I did not notice when looking for the camera pre purchase). This means that when you take the camera down to 5 megapixel you get extra zoom, instead of 3.6 it becomes 5.7. On the lowest megapixel setting the EZ is 22.7x optical zoom!!!!

I opted for the Lowepro Apex 20AW pouch which fits it like a glove with a extendable pocket for charger/extra battery/memory card. It also have a water resistant cover and very small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 6 Dec 2007
I bought this camera after reading many reviews, was going to buy the FX55 but it was a lot more money than this one and all you get is a little bit of a bigger screen! Its really easy to use (and I am not technical at all) the auto mode does everything for you and the picture quality is brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small neat but not a total camera, 29 Jan 2008
If you want a decent camera that you can carry around in your pocket and zoom lenses are not your thing then this is great. I also possess the Fuji 6500, much larger, like a SLR, with great definition and zoom and manual over-rides. If you are used to a SLR go for the Fuji. If you want a good point shot without the frills this camera is a good buy. This is not a cheap camera and I would also suggest you check out the Fuji A920 which I alos own and would rate as a more versatile camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, easy, easy...., 25 April 2008
K. Milne "kjmbilly" (Bolton) - See all my reviews
I needed something really easy to handle and small enough to fit into my handbag. This little camera does the trick. All I wanted was to point and press and it take a good photograph and it does just that. In fact, it takes a great photograph. I have no idea what most of the things on the dial do as I don't tend to read instructions and perhaps if I did, I would have expanded on the above more but I bought it a year ago and have yet to be displeased.
The only slight niggle is that I need to take the battery out of the camera to charge it. I would prefer to just attach a cable and plug into the wall but it is a small price to pay for such a lovely little camera.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lumix FX33, 7 Sep 2008
Having owned this camera for a few months I have to say I'm disappointed with the sharpness of the images it gives. To my mind the pictures lack that all-important 'bite' that I'm after. My suspicion is that Panasonic have fallen into the trap of squeezing far too many pixels onto the tiny sensor - my ancient Sony has only 4 mega-pixels and it can still take a cracking shot (but it's huge and very clunky for putting in a pocket, which is why I bought the Lumix). The FX33's exposure can also err on the side of over-exposure, leading to washed out colours - this then tends to add to the overall softness of the image. My wife's Fuji gives a much sharper image in all conditions so, sad to say, I'm giving serious thought to selling the Lumix and moving on. A shame, because the camera is beautifully made and has all the features you could want in an easily carried point-and-shoot camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love my new camera!, 17 Feb 2008
X. Li (UK) - See all my reviews
i currently owned another panasonic camera, the DMC-FZ50, but thought it's too big for daily use (i.e. parties). so i was looking for a smaller one. after reading so many reviews i've decided to stick with panasonic, simply because it has great lenses and it's worth the money! the design is also lovely, easy to carry in your pocket and chill out with friends!
i love panasonic cameras!
they never disappoint me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend !!!, 26 Mar 2008
This is the first time I have shopped with Amazon and I'm so glad that it won't be the last time either. I didn't have a clue on which digital camera to get and so I read the reviews on the Panasonic Lumix DMC FX33 and thats how I decided to go ahead and purchase this excellent digital camera by Panasonic. Very easy to use and takes great quality pictures. I can't wait to take this on holiday with me in the summer !!! As well as the product, the service was excellent too !!!