5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST!!
Published on 13 Sep 2007 by Mrs. K. Busschots

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to what your good at next time.............
I've been waiting for two years for this new album and was very dissapointed when i first heard it. I've listened to it many times now and it doesn't really get any better. There are 4 minute songs made to last 5 mins, sections of songs that are drawn out far too long and sections of songs that don't fit in, it's unecessarily heavy, and a patchwork of styles when all they...
Published on 12 Oct 2007 by Mr. Philip Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST!!, 13 Sep 2007
Mrs. K. Busschots "hottramp" (JHB, South Africa) - See all my reviews
Just to clear up the Special/Limited edition debate: referring to [...] : The Limited edition is the 1 that's leather bound, with the booklet, etc, & THIS is actually the "Special Edition" with the extra disc. Not that it really matters what the hell it's called, or which version you end up with, because this is the one we've been waiting for! It's absolutely bloody brilliant, has all the authentic H.I.M qualities: it's hard, it's heavy, it's melodic, it has light & shadow, beautifully "corny" lyrics, wailing guitars, thumping HUGE base lines that, to quote Mr Valo: "make your test*cle hair vibrate", haunting keyboards, kickass drumming & above all: Ville's soulful, stunningly beautiful, melancholic voice crooning over it all. What more could you ask for, go get it, NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, God yes., 25 Mar 2008
J. Kemp - See all my reviews
This review is from: Venus Doom (Standard Edition) (Audio CD)
I don't think there'd be a single regret if you bought this, seriously.
It's basically number two on my list of their best albums (try Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights for their best)
I will admit that they haven't changed, but, to me, that is rather a good thing. I will never grow tired of hearing this or any other of their albums.
I think the only downfall to this album i Song Or Suicide, and that isn't really that much of a downfall. It's just one of those songs I can't seem to get into that well.
Yet again, it's not their best work, but it's so damn close.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best and Heaviest Him Album!!!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Venus Doom (Standard Edition) (Audio CD)
This for me is the the best Him album, its great Heavy metal with awesome heavy and doomy guitar riiff's, for anyone new to Him , thuis is and ideal starting point!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, 25 Mar 2012
This review is from: Venus Doom (Standard Edition) (Audio CD)
This is a definitely one of my favourite HIM albums and is the reason they are my all time favourite band. I genuinely love every song!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Venus Doom (Standard Edition) (Audio CD)
This is a heavier HIM album than what you would be used to. If you enjoyed their 2003 Love Metal CD then this is a must have. It is filled with heavier riffs and darker lyrics. This is a version of Ville and Mikko Lindstrom that iv never heard before but it definately works. The reason I onli gave it 4 stars is because I would have liked to have another 2 or 3 songs on the album

5.0 out of 5 stars Venus Doom, the wonderful HIM record but in "luxurious suit", 13 Jun 2010
Nuria Teuler Pujol "nuriadedibujo" (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Well, it's not so different from the original and basic Venus Doom. It's only with a deluxe cover. It has the same booklet inside and the same music. The only new thing is an another cd with two bonus songs: Love In Cold Blood in a Special K Remix and Dead Lovers Lane in Special C616 Rmix. If you don't have the basic edition, it's a very good idea to buy it. If you have a HIM's collection, as me, you can buy it as a beautiful piece of collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark masterpiece, 23 Feb 2010
Kieron Naylor (UK) - See all my reviews
First off, if you're a fan of HIM or are simply checking out a recommendation, this is definitely a good album to start with.

From a musically orientated perspective, the album is well written, with enough variation on the albums' sound and indeed each individual track to have you humming the catchy chorus or dying to find the tabrature for that awesome riff #Title track and about 3 1/2 minutes into Love in Cold Blood are prime examples#, but at the same time theres not too much variation for the listener to feel like its a mash-up CD. The lyrics are standard HIM style-y, love, lost love, broken hearts, me-and-you-against-the-world-with-our-romance sort of thing. If you've just entered or come out of a relationship, I can honestly say every song on this album will feel like its about you. Whether that is a pro or a con, is totally up to you :D.

The usual HIM stuff comes into play with the instruments and playing styles, although this is one of the darker albums, possibly the darkest of. Personally being a fan since I heard Dark Light and then backtracking the whole discography has allowed me quite a good wealth of experience with the band to draw upon, and I like the way they've experimented with a bit more of a raw sound with some of the intros and breakdowns. That said, this may not appeal to some fans.

Now that the music reviewer in me has been appeased, I can honestly say I'm a massive fan of the band and my personal thoughts on this album is that its effing amazing. I love HIM and all they stand for and sing about, their music and persona have always enthralled me from the first time I spied Dark Light in Borders xD. If you like HIM this is definitely a purchase, but is also one of the better ones you can buy from their discography. I like all their albums but this one is now definitely my favourite. It is, like all other HIM albums, an album you can sit and listen to and not complain about one single track.

Once again they haven't let me or the fans down. Buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably my favourite HIM album!, 13 Feb 2009
Mr. S. Lewis (Saltash, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Venus Doom (Standard Edition) (Audio CD)
I've only just bought this album after meaning to and then never getting around to it. Also, I had read my mixed reviews on here about it so wasn't really sure whether I was going to like it or not. However, I finally got around to buying it and I must say I was blown away! I think that it is probably their heaviest album and the powerful, leading synths are not so prominant on this album as on Dark Light. Anyway, time for a run through of the tracks:

Venus Doom - The album opens with the title track and a grinding riff and pounding drums. As soon as Ville starts singing, the changes to some beautiful piano and then begins to sound like classic HIM. It has a fantastic chorus that is full, yet dark. 8/10

Love in Cold Blood - This song opens with another good riff and then opens out into another song sung beautiful by Ville Valo, who is probably one of my favourite vocalists. It has another great chorus and it's just such a good song to listen to if you're feeling a bit down about your love life. The guitar solo is also pretty good. Which, unlike most other HIM albums, are reasonably prominant on this one. 7/10

Passion's Killing Floor - This song weaves beautiful piano into the guitar riff in such an effective way. It is sung brilliantly by Vallo who complements the heavyness with his gentle voice. Another good chorus, it appears he's really excelled himself on choruses on this album. 8/10

The Kiss of Dawn - I reckon that this is HIM's heaviest song and it has the most grinding riff of any song in their catalogue. The verses do not seem that heavy but with Valo's voice and the spooky keyboards, it does really feel heavy. The chorus is very melodic and slow and shows of the softer side of his voice. 9/10

Sleepwalking Past Hope - The longest song on the album and I think that it's also the longest HIM have ever written (it's just over 10mins). It opens with some lovely piano but goes on to turn into a real rocker! There are so many different parts that it does not really get boring like some long songs. 8/10

Dead Lovers' Lane - More beautiful vocals by Valo to compliment some really pounding bass lines. And guess what, another great chorus! 8/10

Song or Suicide - This is only a short acoustic guitar and vocal piece, so not really worth reviewing. 6/10

Bleed Well - This is probably my favourite song on the album and is truely single material. It has a fantasitc structure and a great solo by their standards. 10/10

Cyanide Sun - This is a quite gentle song to finish of a pretty rocky album. It's a pretty good song but not as good as some of the others on this album. Although it has some very melodic guitar parts. 7/10

Overall, this album is absolutley fantastic and is well worth a listen. Do not listen to all the reviewers who think that it's not as good as some of HIM's stuff, this is my favourite!

5.0 out of 5 stars Venus Boom, 6 Oct 2007
This review is from: Venus Doom (Standard Edition) (Audio CD)
What really good cd this is. Ville had me entranced with his brilliant vocals and song writing. Another album joins the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars HIM are back., 18 Sep 2007
Mrs. P. Cooke "cookie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Venus Doom (Standard Edition) (Audio CD)
I must start of by saying that only 9 songs is really a bit poor. You must remember that you get 11 on the first disc if you get the other version. Any way this is still a great CD. I would of got the other version if i had known. Never mind!! I think this is going back to the good old days of HIM. It's just so good. Not the record of the year for me but still good. Worth buying it? YES!!!

Venus Doom (Standard Edition)
Venus Doom (Standard Edition) by HIM (Audio CD - 2007)