Rock Band - Game Only (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360Change
Price:£16.97+£1.91shipping

on 11 November 2010
Alright, so people have been complaining about the price, £180, which is admittedly hard to swallow but what you're getting for the price is not just the game (or I would certainly hope it isnt just the game)

You get:
-A Fender Stratocaster plastic guitar
-Drums
-A Mic
-The Game

Now, you're probably thinking "so why should I shell out £180 if I'm only getting three peripherals", well, I'll tell you why. This game is AMAZING as both a single player and party game, it includes a vast array of songs, and also features downloadable songs which you can use to expand the music library, the instruments are about as well made as you can get, with the exception of the guitar, which feels a bit cheap. The drums last a while, but dependant on how hard you hit them.

So, the songs, most of them are masters, with the exception of:
-Run to the Hills
-Tom Sawyer
-Paranoid

Now, the covers are generally good, Paranoid is although it doesn't have Ozzy singing. Tom Sawyer is good and the cover artist does a good job in trying to replicate Geddy Lee's voice, it should also be noted that the original version of Tom Sawyer is available as DLC, as is the original version of Run to the Hills. Now we come to Run to the Hills, I don't know which band covered the song, but the tempo is all over the place, it has random parts where the song speeds up and overall doesn't stay consistent.

Apart from the cheap feel of the peripherals this is an awesome game, so good in fact that I still have my copy now, which apparently is worth quite a bit (still), my advice, get the game.

PS: If you have the guitar hero controller (guitar) you can just get the standalone game, it'll work with the GH guitar)
on 25 June 2008
Like many others I was incensed with the price for Rock Band, but still intended to buy it as I am a massive fan of the Guitar Hero games.

I'm glad I took the plunge, because the whole experience is incredible. The track listing is infinitely superior to that of Guitar Hero, and playing with your mates is amazing!

Another great part about this is the amount of money that I've actually SAVED by having some mates over on a friday night and staying in playing this all night with a few beers, rather than going out and spending ridiculous amounts in London. 5 stars
on 26 May 2008
Thought I'd base my review on the actual game instead of the price like most other people !
Harmonix are without doubt the kings of music games and this picks up where Guitar Hero 2 left off .
Gameplay pretty much follows the standard scrolling note format for guitar bass and drums and uses a system similar to singstar for the vocals - all of which work really well and there are 4 skill levels to suit all abilities - everyone from newbies to Guitar Hero veterans can have fun with this !
Get some mates round to play the band world tour mode and it's possibly the most fun you'll have with your 360 - the single player career mode is certainly enjoyable too but not as in depth - the fact that you can't play world tour on your own is perhaps the only disappointment .
Vastly improved graphics , loads of downloadable content and full compatibility with guitar hero guitars (360 only) round off a very impressive package .
Yes it is expensive if you buy the whole kit in one go from scratch , but for a game this good it's actually worth the asking price for once .
on 28 January 2014
A great game for any fan of Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero games. However, the songs lack some variety and, in my opinion, some of the best songs on the game come as downloadable content (DLC) which, unfortunately, you must have internet acsess and you have to pay extra for. But for a lot of people who like this kind of music, this shouldn't be a problem.
on 28 September 2009
Great game. This was the first full band game and is a great step forward from the old Guitar Hero games which was only guitar play. As long as you're playing it solo it basically follows the old structure: play a few songs, unlock new ones. Good. But in Band mode, each city you can visit only unlocks a few new songs while adding up to TWENTY new setlists you need to play to get further into the game. This means that in order to unlock everything, you either needs to play the band world tour for a LONG time or play the solo tour. This has been rectified in RB2 where there are ways of unlocking all songs by playing them once, even in band world tour.
Apart from this, the game is great fun, lots of good songs, both on disc and as DLC to purchase. For those looking for a big challenge on guitar I recommend staying with Guitar Hero (1-3), for everyone else, Rock band is the way to go.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Since I'm reviewing the game itself, I would say that the price of the peripherals is terrible, but if you should choose to boycott it, the developers may cancel further shipping.

I rate the game a 5 star in terms of fun. The guitar segments of the game have a guitar-hero feel, with improved bass gameplay to suit the backups in your new virtual band. Single player is therefore essentially Guitar Hero, minus the encores and purchased bonus songs (you must complete a bonus setlist to unlock these).

Fans of any songs in the game will definately enjoy vocals, even though working through the single player vocals can be tiring, and you probably won't find yourself going back to sing a lot like the other two.

The real bulk of the package and the reason to pick up Rock Band in the first place is the drums. This is because the idea of a drumming game has never been properly done before (unless you count bongo drums as a form of drumming, which I sincerely hope you don't). As with the Guitar, the setlist works from easy to hard. I found that the easiest difficulty to start off with was medium. It may differ, because if you're a good drummer, I'd hit hard straight away.

When the whole band comes together, though, you experience something you've never experienced in a video game before: social cooperation. You won't all be staring blankly at the screen, you'll be cheering, thrashing on the overdrive and hammering the big rock ending to seal your band's work to an overall score that you will all look back on and be proud of. And with the 360's DLC, there's a new song/pack/album every week!

So in conclusion, pick it up, rock it, try everything, form a band, seal some achievements, and carry it on until Guitar Hero: World Tour hits shops this October.
on 25 August 2008
This game is simply amazing. In my view much better than Guitar Hero. Why?
The amount of content available for download is outstanding, they release at least 3 new songs every week and throw in an album every now and then. Plus the tracks are cheaper than Guitar Hero tracks (and you're getting 4x you're moneys worth due to the amount of instruments).
The gameplay is better, everything you wish Guitar Hero did back in the day Rock Band does and so much more; for instance the goofy circular dome things that represent notes in Guitar Hero are replace with sleaker and more precise bar.
Compatibility. Every guitar for GH will work on Rockband but not vice versa (GH refused to do this so Activision are to blame). Also 90% of the tracks you have for Rock Band 1 you will be able to play on in Rock Band 20.

At the end of the day Guitar Hero really have had their pants pulled down over this one, makes you wonder why didn't they think of this? No need to rant about the pricing of the bundle either, they explained on the official RB website that the difference in price between the US bundle and the UK bundle was due to the fact that everything game-wise (inaccurate explanation i know) costs more to make/ship/sell/whatever over here. So don't boycott this and miss out when you could be rocking out with you're friends.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First of all, I totally agree with the reviews on here - the overall price tag for the instruments and the game itself is ridiculous, and will probably lose EA a lot of orders. I would personally not get the whole kit + game for the current price.
However, I am lucky enough to own both a 'Guitar Hero' guitar-controller, plus a 'Singstar' USB microhphone. Therefore, I was able to just buy the drum kit for 70 quid, plus the game, which alltogether came to about £110. Although this is still expensive, I'm glad I was able to not buy the whole instrument set. Also, whenever I need an extra guitar for bass or rhythm, i can simply ask one of my mates to bring over their own Guitar Hero controller.
After only playing the game on the drum kit for a few hours today, I have to say that this is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever played. Its so damn addictive, and the choice of songs is also very good - very varied for every persons taste in rock music.
Like I said previously, I totally agree with the negative reviews for the price. However, if like me you own most of the instruments anyway, then I highly recommend purchasing the game and the drum kit to complete the experience. My mates will be over tonight so we can get drunk and rock the night away, and I can't wait!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is an impressive game, with a decent learning dificulty curve. I hope all you guys out there try this game, especially with at least 2 people playing simultaneosly! It's simple and mindblowing fun!!!

I give it 9 stars in 10 possible ones (could have more music included in the game - I know that we can download more, but we have to pay for it)

I'm waiting for better times (s) to buy Rock Band 2 - truly recommended for fans of this one! And the price, man-o-man what a bargain!
on 22 June 2012
i brought the instruments off ebay but didnt have the game, amazon was the only place that did! The game doesnt have many songs i know (im 22yrs old) so is kinda hard to master the songs. it depends what type of game player you are. if you need to bop to the song and feel the rythm then maybe get some add ons too, there is quite a few songs i know though, out of 60-70 songs i know around 10 maybe? the seller sent the game very fast and very happy with my purchase so thank you!