on 23 June 2008
Having used a Microsoft mouse on various desktop PC's I decided to order this model to use with my Dell Inspiron 1720 with onboard Bluetooth.

Setting up was a breeze and works flawlessly. Unlike some of the reviewers I do like the click on the wheel, it just seems more positive in use. Just shows it's a matter of taste.

I wish though that Amazon would tighten up on their advertisers. Like others I ordered this item from BC UK expecting a retail boxed item and got the OEM pack which actually should only be supplied with a PC. Not that bothered but didn't get the mouse case which did matter.

On complaining was directed to the small print hidden on the advertisers page showing item was OEM. Couldn't find it otherwise. I don't expect to have to search when buying something from a site I use and trust!
22 comments62 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Provided your notebook has built in Bluetooth this mouse will give you full wireless control without the need to plug in a dongle and use up a precious USB port. Once installed it connects everytime you switch your PC on. It is sharp and precise, although being laser, it does not have the comforting red glow of an optical mouse. The batteries last ages and the supplied carry pouch is very useful. I do not agree with the comments about the absence of a software disc - even the retail version does not come with a disc but mine installed to Windows Vista with full functionality. In fact, you do not even need to use the on and off switch on the mouse - it simply shuts down after inactivity. Overall, strongly recommended - form and function are 100% in my view.
on 27 August 2008
Having ordered this, late on a tuesday night prior to a bank holiday, i was delighted to find it waiting for me when i got back from a short holiday over the weekend despite estimated dispatch date of the tuesday after the bank holiday. Very Impressed amazon, well done!

As to the product itself, i have to echo what other reviewers have said, size wis it is very good. for a notebook mouse. not unuseably small as many are, but a good comfortable size.
the buttons are well placed, not too close together, so they dont get in each others way, even the 4th button which is on the side, it is above the natural position for the thumb so no real chance of accidently hitting it as is the case with many other mice. the buttons themselves have a soft click which, although it is different to the last mouse i had, is not unpleasant to use. the wheel has an almost stiff feeling, which some reviewers have seen as negative, i agree with another who sees it as a positive click, you can tell its clicking round and its not too loose so you cant accidently move it.

my computer found the device without any trouble at all, and it works very well, although im not yet sure whether or not i can get away without needing to press the link button on the bottem every time. i cant see it being a major problem if i do need to.

the only slight niggle i can find so far is infrequently the computer will drop the connection, quickly rectified by a quick press of the link button. not a big deal, although it does make a life a bit more challenging if you happen to be playing a first person shooter at the time.

despite this (i cant make any comment on battery life and other such long term things as i have only had it for 3 days) it appears to be a good buy and so far i would strongly recommend it to anyone with a bluetooth enabled notebook who is lacking in USB ports for a dongle/wired mouse.
on 7 January 2008
I use a laptop and hate the touchpad on them. I also dislike having trailing wires everywhere. So a bluetooth enabled mouse is ideal. It saves clutter and it frees up a USB port as there is no cable or dongle (unlike other "wireless" mice).

The Microsoft mice are by far the best, I have tried all sorts over the years and have never found better. They are comfortable, ergonomic, reliable and very robust. And this 5000 range is no exception. I loved the 3000 range but the cable took a battering through poor storage and caused a dodgy connection (my fault entirely).

Only word of warning is I bought this through Amazon from a company called PCArena. The mouse arrived in a small brown paper package, with none of the original packaging or intructions, although it was supposed to be new.

So for intructions - insert 2 AAA batteries, switch on at base. Do search on PC for new bluetooth devices. If it does not immediately find the mouse then try pressing the bluetooth button on the base of the mouse for a second or two and do another search.
11 comment17 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2008
I bought this mouse to replace my wired Microsoft notebook mouse 3000, which was just worn out. At first, I thought the mouse was very good as it seemed like my old mouse without the wire. After 2 weeks of use, I sent it back. Mine was broken but the batteries had run out too.

The buttons do not give a very tactile response and seem dampened. Quieter clicks but harder on your fingers. The middle-mouse click is good though.

The mouse wheel is ok for certain uses but I prefer the free-scrolling wheel on the 3000. No clicks and much easier to scroll large documents. There is no tilt on the 5000 for left-right scrolling.

This mouse will also pair with just one machine at a time so if you switch machine you have to pair it every single time.

Drop outs occur due to the energy saving mode. If you type for a while, it will put the mouse to sleep to save batteries. It's something you can live with but can be irritating.

Batteries always make the wireless mice heavier - this one uses 2xAAA so not too bad but still noticeably heavier than a wired mouse. Some people may prefer the extra momentum but I prefer the lighter mouse for prolonged use.

I have since ordered another notebook mouse 3000. I would either recommend that or the Logitech VX Nano. The Nano is not bluetooth but is a very well built mouse and the batteries last much longer.

It's a shame because this mouse is the most stylish mouse I've owned, even better looking than the Nano.
on 22 November 2007
I bought this mouse for its compatibility with both Mac OS and Windows operating systems. This is therefore an excellent addition to my Macbook which is dual bootable and being bluetooth mouse requires no drivers or ugly USB dongles.

Out of the packet it looks small, however it fits perfectly in the hand and I have had not problems using it day to day. It also comes with a rather nice neoprene slip case, which stops any damage when you through it in your laptop bag, and first set of AAA batteries.

Only minor comment is that the mouse wheel feels a bit stiff and doesn't have a fluid feel, but all in all 5 stars for me.
on 11 February 2008
I've had this mouse for about four months now and found it to be reliable, accurate, comfortable and relatively light on battery use.
If your laptop supports bluetooth then I would recommend this unreservedly.
on 8 May 2008
I hummed and haa-ed, spoke to friends and despite being advised to go for the Logitech V470, I went for the Microsoft unit. I've been happy with their mice in the past, and it was a few quid less too. To cut a long story short, I have now bought a V470. I have both units in front of me as I write, and sadly the 5000 isn't even close. The scroll wheel sensitivity cannot be adjusted (or re-programmed, unlike the Logitech, with their excellent control centre software), and the buttons are already beginning to stick. The Logitech mouse is a dream; fits my hand perfectly, nice feel to the buttons and wheel. BTW, I am using a MacBook Pro running OS X and Windows XP
0Comment65 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2009
Got this bluetooth mouse for my HP laptop to avoid the need for any unsightly dongle. It was ok at first, but I increasingly found that the mouse would freeze for a number of seconds - maybe 5 seconds or so at a time - perhaps every 10 minutes or so. Just long enough to be annoying. I read various suggestions on forums that it could be down to power-saving mode etc... but that is nonsense - the mouse was being actively used when it froze for me. So if it is power-saving then it is a stupid implementation that powers down when *not* idle. (And yes - I did try new batteries! :-)

In the end I ditched the idea of being dongle-less, binned this mouse and opted for the Logitech V450 nano instead. The Logitech may cost a little more, but is well worth it.. Very responsive, never cuts out in use. Does have a power saving mode when left idle for a time - which works well and recovers quickly. Also unlike the Microsoft mouse, the wheel is much smoother. It also has a fancy driver to allow side scrolling and other stuff - but I have never had the need to install it - the default driver works great for me. Note whilst the Logitech V450 nano does have a wireless dongle, it is a small thing (hence the name "nano") that doesn't protrude much (maybe 6mm), so I just leave it permanently in position.

I liked the Logitech so much I bought another for my son's laptop. Oh heck - I'm beginning to sound like Victor Kiam now! Time to stop.
on 10 May 2010
I bought this mouse to go with my macbook, primarily because it uses bluetooth instead of normal wireless technology, meaning it would not use up a usb port. For that purpose specifically, I have to say, it did its job - connected quickly with no problems. However as a mouse, I was very disappointed.

First of all, the pictures are misleading, this is a very small mouse, which some may consider a good thing but for my personal tastes it is far too small to be held comfortably. It is also very light indeed, and personally I prefer something with a bit of weight to it - this gives it some stability and makes it feel like a good, solid product. I have to say that this feels a bit cheap and flimsy.

I am well aware that the things I have mentioned so far could just be personal preference and that others may prefer it this way, however what really disappointed me about this mouse was its accuracy. It is supposedly 1000 dpi, but this really doesn't translate when using it - the cursor feels jerky, unsteady and inaccurate. Adjusting the tracking sensitivity made no difference to this jerkiness, nor did the surface upon which it was used - i tried using it on many different surfaces including mousemats, wood, walls, sheets - all to no avail.

Pros: Very portable, connects via bluetooth.

Cons: Too small, too light, feels cheap and flimsy, highly jerky and innaccurate, no matter what kind of surface it's used on.

See one answered question