Format: DVD|Change

I'm not a huge fan of Hanna-barbera but this is just classic stuff. Penry the quiet canine janitor at a police station listens out for distress calls to Rosemary the telephonist, before you knew it he was transformed into the mighty dog-wonder Hong kong phooey. Dressed up in kung-fu regalia he and his striped cat spot would drive around in the phooey mobile solving crime. The phooey mobile would change into whatever was needed with a bang on the magic gong. The beauty of it all was of course that phooey was a blithering idiot in the style of Clouseau who was always rescued by spot the cat. Spot never got any recognition for his work and each episode would end with phooey back as Penry the janitor being shouted at for some blunder by the 'sarge while he daydreamed of his crimefighting skills, all watched on by a headshaking, sighing spot.
The real skill here was getting Scatman Crothers to do the gravel voiced phooey. what could have been just another churned out cartoon became inspired by his ability to find dignity and humour in his character.
I just love this show and it's release on DVD is long overdue.
on 11 September 2008
My 6yr old ADORES this dvd which I got when the martial arts classes proved to be a hit - this is classic 70's cartoon humour at its finest, sadly forgotten about now that technology (and Pixar!) have snowballed.
Of course the quality of the cartoon is as you expect of the 70's and the colour can appear rather dull and grainy - but let's face it, it's OLD! The jokes are still laugh-out-loud-able, though, for all ages.
There is the obligatory, politically correct note on the U certification label: "Contains mild cultural stereotyping" - But bear in mind that this applies to the entire character set (eg. Rosemary the telephone operator, blond, mini-skirted and away with the fairies) and anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see that it is the same stereotyping which remains the backbone of contemporary cartoon pastiche.
This DVD contains 16 episodes, so I would recommend obtaining the 'Complete' DVD if you can get it, rather than buying the 2 separate volumes, purely for convenience.
on 18 May 2008
Hanna Barbera is the best cartoon company and Hong Kong Phooey doesnt disapoint . I used to love this cartoon growing up and still do and my daughter loves to watch this every weekend her favourite bit is when Penry jumps into the filing cabinet .Apart from Scooby doo where are you this is one of Hanna Barberas best cartoons. I would recomend this to any thirty somethings .
on 27 April 2014
Bought for my 2 boys (5 & 2) - great fun, low price and they have already have had several hours of fun watching them. Don't worry about the 1974 date - they are still relevant and the cartoon quality is good. Even grandad found them funny and was laughing with the kids.
on 15 July 2012
Great to see Hong Kong Phooey again.Really think it was the best cartoon better than all the rest.
My grandkids really enjoyed it too who had seen it for the first time.
Very pleased.
on 21 January 2010
My son now loves Hong Kong Phooey. It's a great cartoon from when I was small, I enjoyed it and now so do my children. Well worth the money, will soon be worn out. lol.
on 16 December 2011
A Christmas gift for my 8 year old who just loves latter day cartoons. Looking forward to seeing his reaction when he views this DVD. I'm sure that it will be great!!
on 18 May 2010
Still as I remember it back in the 70's. My 7 year old son thinks it's brilliant as well. They just don't make cartoons like they used to.
on 26 May 2013
Bought this for my nephew, he loves it and I it takes me back to years ago, I even find myself singing along to the catchy tune.
on 4 May 2015
Bought for the grandson as a package series one and two he loves them, compelling viewing with a great theme tune