5.0 out of 5 stars The Miracle Maker
I was completely enchanted when I saw this version of the Jesus story. It's a film I can come back to every now and then, and part of it will always choke me up. Whether it's Jesus Baptism, the crucifixion or especially the closing scene following the resurrection. I end up with a dented heart and a lump in my throat.
The characters are very 3 dimensional and are...
Published on 6 April 2003 by Mr. N. A. Payne

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT TRUE WIDESCREEN but otherwise fantastic film
Published on 21 Jan 2010 by Mrs. E. J. Longhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars The Miracle Maker, 6 April 2003
Mr. N. A. Payne "sword4thelord" (Alcester, Warwickshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The characters are very 3 dimensional and are well rounded. All the main points behind the Gospel message are there. The animation, as with the forerunning TV series "Testament" (regarding 6 different Old Testament stories). Different animation techniques are used to emphasize different parts of the story, and this helps maintain interest. I would thoroughly recommend this to all age groups, and people of all backgrounds: this is an inoffensive and very emotional way of portraying the Gospel. It will be interesting to compare this with the live action film "Passion" which is also being made by Icon productions (Mel Gibsons production company).
I would recommend this to teachers - throw away the text books for one afternoon, and let the kids watch this instead... just before the Good Friday/Easter break. It should make for some good and interesting discussion that will heavily benefit childrens education I am sure.
I don't hesitate in recommending this at all. Snap it up, it's a bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 29 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Miracle Maker [DVD] (DVD)
This animated version of the story of Jesus is as moving as any film. The attention to detail, the quality of the animation, the simplicity of the story, all are combined to make The Miracle Maker the best animated film ever. It is simple enough for a child to understand, yet profound enough to revive an adult's childhood memories of the man called Jesus. Absolutely wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Jesus film I know, 23 Mar 2008
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Miracle Maker [DVD} (DVD)
Five years ago, I gave up going to church, but every Easter Sunday I like to watch The Miracle Maker. Every time I find it very moving.

They may be puppets but there's loads going on in their expressions and gestures. Doing a voiceover, could be just doing an voiceover, but these characters are given tremendous life and subtlety by the brilliant cast of actors. I loved Ralph Fiennes and Miranda Richardson's contributions.

The script provides an unusual perspective, and the story only covers aspects of Jesus's life, but there is much humour, warmth and insight. You get the idea of three-dimensional human beings struggling with their lives. The combination of animation and cartoon drawing adds more texture to the story, and the use of flashback is clever.

Watching Lazarus come out of his tomb in his bandages gave me new insight into the story, as did Pilate's worldly cynicism.

I really admire their ability to put genuine comedy into the story and they work towards a powerful statement of Christianity at the end, played out with Anne Dudley's Pie Jesu, which is worth watching the DVD for on its own.

I send a copy of it to all my godchildren.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful-a masterpeice-better than Bible stories, 15 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Charming and enchanting. I loved stories of Jesus as a child, but had much more difficulty entering into them as an adult. Miracle Maker has brought the life of Jesus alive for me once more; and furthermore it has saved me reading Bible stories to my kids on Sundays (as it does it much better than I ever could)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very creative and engaging., 25 Nov 2000
Timothy Gibson (Singapore) - See all my reviews
I bought the video for my children but ended up spellbound by it and had to watch it again! It is very original in that it varies in animation types (from 3D clay animation to various types of 2D cartoon animation).
It remains true to the Gospels without blandly following them and also brings in the view of a child, Tamar, whos miracle blends in beautifully with the flow of the story.
The only thing I wish there had been more of is of emotion in the characters but what there was was well done and at times I forgot I was watching an animation and at times tears did come to my eyes!
Well done! I'd heartily recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT TRUE WIDESCREEN but otherwise fantastic film, 21 Jan 2010
Mrs. E. J. Longhurst (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Miracle Maker [DVD} (DVD)
Please note that this DVD, like the review of other version remarks, is also NOT TRUE WIDESCREEN, but is simply the 4:3 version with the top and bottom of the picture cropped off. We also have the 4:3 version on VHS and compared them side by side like the other reviewer and found the same thing on this version, so you are actually getting LESS picture on this DVD than on the 4:3 VHS rather than extra at the sides. We stress that this is our ONLY criticism and is the fault of the DVD distributor, not the original makers. Had it not been for this disappointing format problem we would have awarded full 5 stars not 3 to this DVD release. The film content itself is truly remarkable with the combination of drawn (2D) and amazing modelled (3D) animation. Viewers of all ages will be captivated, the incredible detail I just love little details like the children messing around in the background, chasing chickens etc, so lifelike when you think this was all photographed frame by frame making tiny movements to dozens of models, 24 frames for every second of the film. The skill of the animators is commendable. The story of Jesus is told faithfully but in such a fresh, human way it will appeal to all people not just those of Christian faith. We love this film and would recommend it to everyone. Viewers will certainly not feel that religion is being "pushed down their throat" in any sense or form. 5 stars to the film content.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Miracle Maker dvd, 13 Mar 2005
Mr. D. Evans (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Miracle Maker [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film. Had it on vhs .Just bought it on dvd. Read the review about it not being genuine widescreen. Tempted to send it back after reading that. But ended up opening it so can't return to shop. Hoped reviewer was wrong as no one else had mentioned it. But to my disgust reviewer was right . I compared the vhs to the dvd and Warner Brother(or whoever made the decision to do this)realy have just snipped the top and bottom off! Words of `if anyone taketh away from...` spring to mind. But on a positive note , the visual quality and sound that you expect from DVD's saves this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivatingly original angle on the timeless story of Jesus, 23 Oct 2000
This review is from: The Miracle Maker [DVD] (DVD)
Even if you think you are familiar with the story of Jesus , you will still be enthralled by this beautifully made film. Whether you come from a position of faith or not, it is hard not to be impressed by the film. The use of highly sophisticated puppetry techniques will blow your mind; the use of professional, top of the range actors, gives it credibility. It certainly makes you think about what lies at the heart of Jesus' mission and message. All seen through the eyes of a child who was healed by Jesus, it is nevertheless intensely moving for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars the future for religion, 13 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Forget that Buzzlightyear and Woody, Jesus is back on the scene with this fantastic new animated film. This story of Jesus is told through the eyes of a young ill girl who is cured by the curious and magical Jesus. The film captures the imagination of all ages. This fantastic film took ten years in the making to bring us the great clay models and buildings. And with the great cast the film would be a hard one to top. Overall a great watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly magnificent!, 25 Jan 2009
Mirka (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Miracle Maker [DVD} (DVD)
A truly magnificent production of the story of Jesus. I highly recomend it. We bought it for our son who is one and a half years old and wanted to see it before he watched it. We will wait a little till he will be able to watch it as there are very mild scary scenes as the cover of the DVD says. But with my husband we truly love it and we think it is as wonderful for adults as it is for children! After watching the bonus material about making this animation I feel deep gratitude and great respect towards all the people who contributed with all their hard work, talent, skills and patience towards such a wonderful production, such a wonderful portrait of the life, the goodness and the teachings of the Son of God. Simply cannot praise it enough.

The Miracle Maker [DVD}
The Miracle Maker [DVD} by Stanislav Sokolov (DVD - 2007)