Format: DVD|Change
Price:£16.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 31 December 2008
From the polarised reviews on this 2007 movie, I wasn't sure whether I'd like it. It is in fact something quite different for Bollywood. It is more a stage-like production. There are few characters focused on and the sets look like... sets (on stage that is). They have developed a fantasy old painted backdrop town with an overall blue tone to most scenes. The acting is also of the stage dialogue type too.
It looks late 18th century yet there is a mix of clothes styles and the hero looks quite modern. It has captured the mood of a Dostoevsky novel though I think. It isn't a bleak movie but a philosophical movie about love.
The songs for me weren't memorable (once the subtitles fade and the poetry of the lyrics vanished the tunes didn't remain for me).
The acting was good from all though. The main character has to carry a heavy weight of focus and the part is played well by relative newcomer Ranbir Kapoor (who did a good job with Bachna Ae Haseeno too) and he dances well. Rani doesn't get a lot to do and nor does Salman Khan. Zohra Sehgal as the old woman did a particularly fine job and always draws the eye.
It is well captured, acted, directed and cinematography well framed and often interesting, and creative in its approach but I'm not into arty stuff that much and the stylized nature of the movie had a claustrophobic feel with its limited number of actors and sets and the setting almost all at night with its dark blue hues predominant.
I am giving it 4 starts within its more art genre even though I don't think I got into it as much as some other reviewers did.
on 20 January 2010
If you want to see the beauty of Blue Ray in Bollywood title, grab this. Sony has set an extremely high standard while produced this blue ray. This is a master piece. The picture quilty and sound qaulity is breathtaking. 5 out of 5. I should not be going on too much. The only way this beauty will blow you away is buy and watch with your own eyes to see how rich and lifelike this transfer is. Just spin this disc in your Blue Ray player and put your seat belt on. If you are looking for a strictly reference quality disc, so far this is the one to grab on.

As usual Amazon is the best in business.
on 22 August 2008
This is the first Bollywood movie that I watched in its entirety. I saw it in a movie theatre in India without subtitles. Maybe the atmosphere within the theatre (Indian moviegoers interact with the on-screen events and show their pleasure/displeasure with rousing aplomb, booing and cheering as appropriate, they are not as reserved as their European counterparts) contributed greatly to my enjoyment of the film.

I loved it! For me this is a great movie and I'd recommend it highly to anyone looking to investigate the Bollywood experience. Its an incredibly colourful movie, the set constructed overall in shades of blue (my favourite colour) and the music is 'something else' a blend of Eastern and Western instruments and rhythms used to excellent effect mixed with strong singing voices.

The lead actors did a fine job of holding my attention throughout the film and I left the theatre at the end feeling upbeat and with snatches of music and colourful images reeling in my head. Altogether an excellent introduction to the genre.

Having watched this movie several times now (I bought the DVD)I still rave about it. My knowledge of Bollywood, though scant, is growing and since this movie I have collected several others and contine to enjoy them also. I now know from experience that there are a lot of 'dreadful' Bollywood films around, this is NOT one of them. If you like music, colourful imagary and a storyline that you can identify with, like me, you'll love this movie.
on 27 January 2013
Bought this but it sat on my shelf for ages unopened. Then finally when I was in the mood I decided to give it a spin. Thought I was going to hate this but I quite enjoyed it- even the music. I have zero interest in Bollywood or Indian cinema but still enjoyed this. The lead actress is incredibly beautiful and the audio quality on the bluray is 5 star, just fantastic. Picture quality 4 out of 5. Not sure if I'd watch it again anytime soon but I appreciate it for what it is and I can see why so many enjoyed this.
on 3 January 2010
Becoming `wiki' aware that this movie was a critical and commercial failure when released after buying the disc, I had pretty low expectations. My fears, thankfully, turned out to be totally unfounded!

This movie was made to be watched on blu-ray and really comes alive in this format. The film is shot beautifully and the storyline is a twist of Fyodor Dostoevsky's short story "White Nights". If you are looking for Bollywood style fantasy escapism, this is probably not the movie to go for; however, as a cinematic concept this is one awesome piece. Every scene is a visual treat though arguably the music and the script are both a letdown.

The five stars are for the overall experience. To a certain extent your mood will determine your appreciation of the movie. One of my blu-ray show-off pieces.
on 7 February 2016
An accidental buy. What a load of expensive rubbish. Really can't be classed as Bollywood. Two poor dance routines, no story, not keen on the "Hero". I could go on. I would give NO stars but it won't let me.
on 29 July 2013
Sorry, didnt like this one. Somehow never got to see it through. The story is happening in a fantasy/dream world and very hard to follow. Songs are not nice also... didnt like it at all
on 2 March 2009
I enjoyed the film but I think it was a bit too long. The story is not engaging enough to keep my attention for two and a half hour.
The actors and actresses are beautiful and the music, the singing and the dancing are lovely, but it isn't enough to lift the movie to the stars...
The stage set are very aesthetic and I loved all the colours that brings an extra layer to the film.
The love story isn't very convincing, but that could be how Dostoyevsky wrote it. I haven't read the short story "White Nights" that this film is based on, so I couldn't tell if it is the interpretation that has gone wrong or if it is the story itself which is to blame.
I'm glad to have seen it but I don't think I will see it one more time.
on 29 March 2010
The film got off to a slow start but after half an hour I was throroughly engrossed. The setting is beautiful and alien and the acting is not bad for a bollywood movie. Only four stars as it was a bit too long.
on 8 December 2010
If you don't like Bollywood films you're probably not about to start with this one! That said, it's a bit different with artistic direction, a simple but effective set and overall an ok storyline well made. I enjoyed it, I love the music and dance aspect of Bollywood and it reminded me of Moulin Rouge! The quality of the picture and colours on blu-ray is outstanding, both for this film and in general, I'm having trouble going back to DVD's!