A kid's film? I don't think so. I think this film should be sold more as Drama. The main characters are young teens, around 13-14 in my view. who find escape from the cruel real world where issues like money and fighting exists to live in their own imagination.

Published on 14 July 2010 by Mr. George Edward Maier

3.0 out of 5 stars Human Drama NOT Sword 'n' Sorcery
If you look on Wiki it appears the producers of this movie disowned the publicity campaign which led the potential audience to believe they were in for a LOTR/Narnia/Elidor fantasy/other world adventure. Not hard to see why as the film is really just a young teen rites de passage drama. It's not a bad story but the average sword 'n' sorcery fan watching this is likely to...
Published on 24 Jun 2007 by Northern Warrior

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Film, True Masterpiece, branded falsely as a 'Kids Film', 14 July 2010
Mr. George Edward Maier "George Maier" (Ilkeston, Derbyshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)

The film closely follows the emotions of the lead character, a young boy, in a rural farming family.

The acting in this film is breathtaking. As is the writing, the characters are brilliant.

I just don't understand why such an amazing piece of art is being sold as if intended for children under 12?? It makes no sense to me. For me this film should be aimed at 12+ With no upper limit.

Very powerful story. Very moving. In my top 5 films of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't at all what we expected!, 4 Jan 2008
Mrs. T. M. Croft "terriv103" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this on dvd for my daugters aged 6 and 5. I'd seen the clips of the film and it seemed to be a fairytale adventure in a magical land, even the cover of the dvd suggests this, so when we all sat down to watch it by the end I was quite confused as it was nothing at all like I'd expected.

I expected that my children wouldn't want to watch the film again, thinking that it is too old for them, but they have not stopped watching it! I have since watched it again and now appreciate what a great story it is, portraying complicated emotions so well that you almost feel them yourself. It's a great story, I'm going to get myself the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good movie, inspired by real-life events, but rather misrepresented by the TV trailers, 21 Aug 2007
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
My 11 year old son and I went to see this movie on the strength of the Disney TV trailers that really gave a totally false impression of what the film was about (it seemed perhaps it would be a great fantasy adventure similar to 'The time bandits', 'Narnia' or the recent 'Stardust'). In fact the film is more like a standard US teen movie, with typical school yard, home-life and school bus scenes. However the quality of the movie is simply in another league to most teen flicks, and it's got some visually stunning moments (not unlike quality films such as 'Alice doesn't live here anymore' and 'Fried green tomatoes'). It's got an intelligent script aimed squarely at an older kid audience, a fine young/adult cast, and is simply a good movie.

It's not for most, if any, under 9s though as it deals with late preteen/teenager childhood friendship and school problems. It has also got quite a few pretty children's fantasy sequences which my son happily took to be real, Narnia style - and it's not that scary, although it is emotionally intense. I don't want to give away any more of the plot though, just try it for the family as it's ideal to rent or perhaps buy. I can't see many kids watching it often though, as its power works best on first viewing - unless someone ruins it by giving away the storyline. That said, it's likely this will be a childhood movie they will remember.

The book, and film, was based on the author's son's real childhood friendship with a girl schoolfriend (although they were both eight at the time and not twelve as with the character's in the movie). I don't think the themes are unsuitable for older preteens - I enjoyed weepies Old Yeller and Bambi at 5 or 6 and in some respects the movies final scenes are quite uplifting. Besides the storyline is dictated by real events, not a Disney scriptwriter. It might be a good idea to watch the movie with youngsters though, not only because it's a good film, but also so that you can talk about it afterwards. My son and I really enjoyed 'Bridge to Terabithia', even though it was almost the exact opposite of what we expected given the Disney promotional trailers [and it's not really fair to blame the film or it's creators for that].

4.0 out of 5 stars Can our imagination become reality?,, 28 Aug 2007
When I was a kid, I wanted the world to work that way. I wanted the trees to talk back, war with imaginary villains, and fly with the birds. I really felt it and so did the main characters of the story.

Josh Hutcherson, who is no stranger to acting already, starring in 15 plus films plays quiet and artistic Jesse Aarons who usually finds himself the [...] of jokes by the loud and obnoxious fellow students at his public school. Hutcherson is terrific and such an amazing lead actor in this film. I think kids will love watching him and really relate to his situation and really respect him and follow him. I hope he continued to get some really great roles. Also really terrific is AnnaSophia Robb who plays unique dreamer Leslie Burke who befriends Jesse and together they have incredible adventures together and form a lasting friendship. AnnaSophia is such a sweetheart and really does bring Leslie to life as this carefree, deep thinking, happy, spirited little girl. She really is the perfect Disney girl and probably has a promising career as such ahead of her. Also terrific is 8 year old Bailee Madison who plays the irrepressible and adorable May Belle Aarons who is really heading towards the same fate that Jesse finds himself in, in the real world. Jesse takes her under his wing and shows her the magic world that him and Leslie have created. Robert Patrick is also just terrific as the Aarons' father, Jesse Sr. Patrick's character is not a bad guy at all!! In fact he is desperately trying to provide for his family, and has simply been worn by the world around him. He wants his children to be raised to be strong providers especially his only son. The supporting cast is also terrific with key performances by Zooey Deschanel, Lauren Clinton, and Cameron Wakefield.

The movie bounced back and fourth between the friend's school life and their imaginary world. The two loved each other more than anyone could love and didn't even show it with a kiss. This movie should of been longer. 90 minutes seems to be the typical time for a movie but this one probably needed 15 minutes more. I wanted to see more of their world as it showed just a fair amount in my opinion (kind of like how Pan's Labyrith was - great film by the way). Movies are marketed different now a days and some viewers may be disappointed. I saw this movie more as drama than an adventure.

I never read the book but I'm hearing Disney kept it very similar to it. I like that a lot as I hear "Eragon" wasn't even close. This isn't a better fantasy film I've seen in years, I just wish they had more but still a movie to see with the kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile pocket money investment for children & Adults alike., 16 Jan 2010
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
There are some films that leave their impression so deeply on you as a child that no matter what else you watch after, they will in your mind be the best childrens films there have ever, or will ever be - to those of my generation, The Goonies, The Never Ending Story , Labyrinth, Willow and Flight of the Navigator cannot be bettered.

Bridge to Terabitihia is going to make the list for the current generation and may well sneak into the DVD collections of a few adults without children.

A wonderful emotive story of friendship, love, loss and imagination - in essence and without giving too much away - boy meets girl, girl teaches boy the power of the imagination, boy loses girl, boy finds himself.

Containing some very well done fantasy animation, Bridge to Terabitia is however not a full on fantasy film, so may disappoint those tempted in by the "Narnia" production team link.

Although this film is rated as a PG, I challenge any living, breathing, loving adult to watch it without shedding at least one tear - and duly advise parents to give it a watch themselves before sitting children under 8 (or indeed 18) infront of it.

4/5 - A worthwhile pocket money investment

5.0 out of 5 stars Tissues at the ready!!, 13 Dec 2007
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
WARNING: You may want some tissues before you see this movie. When I first heard about this film I thought it would be stupid but I was wrong. This is now one of my favourite films, it is so touching and the characters are nice and believe. I did however think that this film lacked of action. Terabithia was cool, the CGI was great and so were the special effects but there just didn't seem to be enough action. The action/battle scenes were fun while they lasted but I really don't think we saw enough of Terabithia. It focused more on Jess and Leslie and their friendship. I don't mind though, it was beautiful. Everyone could use a friend like Leslie. The story - Jesse Aaron has been training to beat all the boys in his school at the races but a newcomer Leslie Burke wins easily. Despite this they still become friends and discover a new world by swinging on a piece of rope across a stream. They then use their imagination to create a whole new world filled with trolls, ogres and giants but one day everything goes terribly wrong.

This film was very touching. I cried quite a few times and one scene totally took me by surprise. Well it will if you haven't read the book. It was just so unexpected. I definitely recommend this film but young children may find it a bit hard to understand and it is very, very sad. Brilliant fantasy movie and Jess's and Leslie's friendship was very believe and touching. Go see this film but do not expect it to be like Narnia. 8.5/10 or 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep your mind wide open, 7 Feb 2009
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
"All I'm saying is you are who you are..."
"Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open."

I don't really understand the negative reviews for this film. It DOES have very emotional scenes but they're scripted and edited so beautifully, and the main cast act their characters so well that it creates a far more meaningful and multi layered story, far more realistic than a film in which everything is happy, perfect and magical. This way the fantasy world built up in the film is believeable, because it is possible. AnnaSophia Robb plays Leslie perfectly, and I think it is a great watch for adults and children.

Whilst people are saying the trailer is misleading, if you listen to the audio commentary on the dvd, they actually say that they hoped viewers would see the trailer, go and watch the movie but come out of it having learnt and felt so much more than just a typical fantasy film. Children can deal with these themes, yes they're unexpected and cause tears, but the ending is something to learn from - in fact the whole story has such a positive moral theme.

Please don't be put off by the negative reviews, watch the film first and see what you think - adults especially. As it says in the film, "Keep your mind wide open..." :D

It's beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, heart breaking, memorable, 7 Jan 2011
Lark (North Coast of Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great movie, I was very surprised as like other reviewers I had expected a Disneyfied childrens fantasy film like Narnia but this is something really different, it is much more a life drama dealing with friendship and (tragic) loss.

While the movie does feature some imaginative fantasy themes (these make up the whole of the movie trailers) with living, walking trees and wild life, like birds or squirrels, transforming into monsters these are make believe and imagination. There is a similarity between these scenes and those in The Spiderwick Chronicles [DVD] [2008] which could encourage the viewer to believe there's some kind of "revelatory" nature to these sequences, that the fantasy is the reality. I am sure that younger viewers will take this to be the case.

The tale is one of friendship, someone new moves into the neighhourhood and befriends the film's main character, a young boy who is unhappy at home and school, he is a dreamer and artist who finds himself consequentially at odds with his father. The two young people become firm, fast friends, the acting and direction is brilliant and convincing, the young actor and actress really do appear to be soul mates. Together they discover a rope swing across a river gorge and something like an old abandoned tree house or fort, this becomes Terabithia, a refuge of make believe were they are able to take refuge from the challenges of family tensions or conflict and school troubles, such as bullies. I could have watched a much longer feature with more content turning upon this point actually, as the director manages to portray how the complex nature of social life among young people crosses over into the make believe adventures in Terabithia, for instance a bully is revealed as vulnerable at the core, then a tree ogre takes on their appearence.

However all too soon this happy narrative is cut short, suddenly, by a tragic turn of events. The direction at this point is fantastic and as a viewer I shared in the main characters total disbelief, the ways in which the make believe scenes have been shot leave you hoping that there has been some mistake. There are some brilliant visuals which lead to a deeping of the sense of disbelief and sharing in the perspective of the main character. It is then easy to relate to the scenes there after of regret, remorse, guilt, sadness and even despair. The film's final scenes are hopeful and optimistic, with the construction of the bridge of the film's title and the strengthening once more of the relationship between the title character and his younger sister who had been marginalised by her brothers new found friendship, excluded from the fun and games she wanted to be part of.

It is a great feature and one of the few which really resonated with my own memories of childhood and growing up, with a mix of happy, hopeful but also the more harrowing trials of life involving seperation and loss, moving from the idyllic to the real.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin - but good nonetheless., 11 Jan 2008
Keiko (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
First things first - if you are expecting a fantasy film like Narnia, stop now. This is not what this film will give you.

However, what it will give is a sweet reward for those that watch it. Here lies a tale of family life, growing up, hardships, love and loss - seen from the eyes of a young boy. For me though, the young female lead is miraculous - an absolute revelation in the role she portrays.

This is an old fashioned story. Not necessarily with a neat start, middle and end, but a journey of learning and growing up.

Hard to categorise - but well worth a look. You'll find it rewarding - though, if watching with youngsters, be aware that tragedy lurks in the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and cathartic, 1 Jan 2008
Ray Blake (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
If any film this year can make you cry, it's this one. More than any film since 'Stand By Me' perhaps, this film captures the essence of childhood in a way that will have direct relevance to kids and that adults will find highly evocative. The fantasy elements of the film are entirely subsidiary, incidentally, although the marketing of this film focuses on them almost entirely.

Bridge To Terabithia [DVD]
Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] by Gabor Csupo (DVD - 2007)