The best guess as to why these aren't available in North America is some distributor's misguided idea that North Americans won't "get" the jokes, thanks to references to Syd Little, Dawn French, Chris Tarrant, and the Chuckle Brothers.

Published on 19 Jan 2008 by Kenton Larsen

Published 2 months ago by DigitalAuthor

5.0 out of 5 stars The best reason for North Americans to buy an all-region DVD player, 19 Jan 2008
Kenton Larsen (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)

If you live in North America, do not be deterred: simply pick up a $40 all-region DVD player (I recommend the Philips one that says, "Plays all DVDs" on the box), order this DVD set from Amazon.co.uk (along with "Zidane," which will never be available here either), and be prepared laugh until you cry. At Gervais, not Zidane.

The order in which to watch these is the order in which they were released: Animals, Politics, and Fame. Animals is funny, Politics is funnier, and Fame is one of the best comedy DVDs I've seen. It truly rivals some of the best, Chris Rock included.

Highlights include Gervais' take (he calls it "a lecture") on:

**Spoiler warning**

- The Richard Gere urban legend, featuring a great act-out of Gere stroking a "nervous" hamster;

- A British anti-rape ad campaign ("What kind of society has to remind people not to rape?");

- His religion teacher, who says that "all the laws of the land are included in the Bible" (Gervais asks: "video piracy?");

- How a conversation between the first man with HIV and the monkey who gave it to him might've played out (given the choice between admitting to having sex with a monkey or eating a monkey, both man and monkey agree: "I ate 'em.").

Arguably, the best bit is Gervais' recounting of a taping of X-Factor, where he witnesses Sharon Osbourne repeatedly insult and humiliate TV presenter Chris Tarrant.

Gervais will be taping an HBO special in New York this July, so a North American DVD can't be far off. Let's hope he doesn't feel the need to Americanize his approach, because as these DVDs prove, he's funniest just being himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Gervais Humour., 8 Dec 2009
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Being a big fan of Gervais his work, I had to get this box into my collection.
As usual it's topshelf Ricky-Humour. The dvd quality is pretty good and it's stacked with plenty of extras.

Must-have for every Gervais fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars The first one I watched -- Animals -- I thought is excellent. 5 stars, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This box set consists of 3 DVDs. The first one I watched -- Animals -- I thought is excellent. 5 stars. But the other two not so good. I was quite disappointed to find some jokes from the first DVD being recycled for another DVD, and generally the material was quite poor. It's like Ricky jokingly said "I'm so famous now that all I need do is stand on stage and people will laugh", and people laughed. So he now thinks he can just fill the hour by doing that. It wasn't enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I had got to know Ricky Gervais via snippets of these shows over several video sharing sites and decided to see the whole thing. Ricky Gervais is a brilliant comedian and these shows are definitely worth their cost. I recommend this product to anyone that enjoys stand-up shows...

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE HIM!, 16 July 2010
Mr. B. Thomas "BAT" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This bloke cracks me up! He is excellent, the Animals dvd had me in tears! RICKY GERVAIS BOXSET, MUST HAVE!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Ricky Gervais is the one man that has kept me laughing with everything he does. All of these are extremly funny. His take on the Bible and religion is fantastically hilarious. I can watch these over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars reply to josh tuseack, 24 Feb 2009
Philip P. Hilliard "yidd" (chertsey, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
i know you posted this sometime ago but having just read your comments, i have to comment myself.

i think you are completely wrong. i've seen many stand-up routines, some very good - lee evans, bill bailey and eddie izzard for example. some brilliant - eddie murphy, richard pryor and bill hicks. the 3 gervais shows are, in my opinion, the best i've ever seen. like the stand-ups previously mentioned, he bases his comedy on observation. maybe you don't like it because he is too near the truth? as for the office (and to a lesser extent extras), it is the best ever comedy show. bar none.

as for you saying he is uninspired and lazy, i think you've been watching a different ricky gervais to the one i've been watching. brilliant stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh, 10 May 2010
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I am not a ricky gervais fan, I watch the office, but do not find it funny at all, well on ocassion I do but not because of ricky gervais, ANIMALS though will have you in pissing your pants, it is hilarious, he is wonderful stand up, I love it, each time I watch it, it makes me laugh, the others are ok but not as good as animals. Well worth the buy though and entertaining. Would love to go to a lecture like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ricky's Stand-up is Sickeningly Good, 16 Oct 2008
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
It gets to the stage where you'd like Ricky to fail, just once, to prove he is mortal.

Stand-up comedians spend years doing gong shows and open spots in scruffy clubs, being heckled and booed by a handful of cynical drunks, before they final get the skills and recognition to earn a living.

But not Ricky. He steps straight out onto a national tour and shows us how it's done. He is a natural. He has his own style that is instantly recognisable. And his humour is varied, challenging, intelligent and - above all -funny.

I don't agree with the previous reviewers comments about George Carlin and co. I guess it's subjective, or maybe its a transatlantic thing - but George doesn't do it for me at all.

Ricky is one of few comedians whose DVDs can make me cry with laughter and make my sides ache. They are worth watching again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stand-up!, 11 Feb 2009
This review is from: Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Ricky Gervais is hilarious! I'm from the USA and I miss some of the cultural (celebrity) references, but it's not too distracting. Ricky's so funny and I love all three of these DVDs. I've watched them all A LOT. You need a region-free way of playing them in the USA, but the VLC player is good for that.

Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD]
Ricky Gervais: Live Collection [DVD] by Ricky Gervais (DVD - 2007)
12.21