5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not Pride & Prejudice mark two., 18 Sept. 2007
A. Moriarty "mumoftheyear" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
When I first saw the trailer for this film, I knew I wanted to see it for two reasons: one was because I loved Pride & Prejudice and Joe Wright directed both and the other reason was because Dario Marianelli did the soundtrack for both. I can't get enough of the sweeping, romantic soundtrack for Pride and Prejudice and the CD is never far from my car. This is an altogether more tense and edgy affair, in keeping with the story, but it is just as beautiful, just as emotional. Each track reminds me of a moment in the film and takes me back there, to the cinema, where I am watching it all over again. This is especially true of the 'Elegy for Dunkirk' a simply stunning sequence in the film, and the bitter-sweet 'Cottage on the Beach'. I am pleased to say that the gentle but dramatic piano of Jean-Yves Thibaudet is also back in this score. Marianelli very cleverly uses the sound of a typewriter to illustrate the moments when the enigmatic Briony, the central character in the story, is on screen, doing her worst. It could be jarring for someone just wanting some pleasant background music but it certainly adds something for those of us who have seen, and want to recall the overall feeling of the film. See the movie, then buy the soundtrack. And may Joe Wright and Dario Marianelli continue to collaborate for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 7 July 2008
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
I am 13 and I usually don't go for film soundtracks, let alone classical music ones. However, after seeing the film I decided that I should get it, and I was glad I did.
The music is astounding, and Marianelli's use of the typewriter in songs such as '' Briony'' and '' With My Own Eyes'' creates an atmospheric piece of music. Other songs such as ''Farewell'', ''Love Letters'' and ''The Cottage on the Beach'' moved me deeply.

The track that most stood out was ''Elegy for Dunkirk''. The use of violins here was simply beautiful.

All in all, this is a romantic soundtrack, with an edgy feel to it.
I would buy it if you are in to that sort of thing. It is also useful to listen to the samples on amazon.

Hope this has helped!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mesmerising Soundtrack., 14 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
The Golden Globe Winner for Best Original Score, the soundtrack for 'Atonement' is one which will certainly go down in history. A stunning masterpiece, this album is a breakthrough for film composition and a milestone for Marianelli. His best since 'Pride & Prejudice' (which I considered very hard to beat).

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing can compare to this beauitiful soundtrack, 14 April 2008
G. Dalessandro (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
This soundtrack mesmerised me. The songs "The Last Killed", "Cottage on the Beach" and "Elegy for Dunkirk" especially leave me quite overwhelmed. If you are looking for music which can evoke emotion then I would certainly recommend this soundtrack. I didn't think one could surpass the beautiful Pride and Prejudice soundtrack but it has been done truely magnificently here.

5.0 out of 5 stars romantic homage, 14 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
this soundtrack contains delicacy, grandeur, sentiment, anger, warmth, sadness...

one of it's main themes is beautifully reminiscent of themes from Rachmaninov's piano concerti

certainly deserved its Golden Globe

Elegy for Dunkirk is a wonderfully crafted illustration of the weariness of battle and its painful aftermath (tremendous scene in the film)

there are several very strong themes which stand repetition and variation extremely well and I particularly enjoyed the typewriter motif

this is a film score of the highest quality, bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music for an excellent movie, 6 Jan. 2009
This soundtrack undoubtedly deserved its Academy Award. The use of the typewriter sounds has nothing gimmicky but completely suits both narrative and emotions the latter conveys. The English Chamber Orchestra does a great job in conveying either the tension of some sequences, or the romance of some others. For everybody and everyone who saw the movie, this soundtrack is a wonderful reminder. Whoever enjoys classical movie soundtracks without even having seen the movie will enjoy it as it is a great exemple of the genre. Unmissable!

4.0 out of 5 stars So beautifully written, 27 Feb. 2012
Jez (Leatherhead UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
This a beautiful composition, although sadly like so many movies, some pieces of the score are more fitting when accompanied by the scenes it represents in the film. Even so, some tracks stand alone on their own merits, head and shoulders above your usual film soundtracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 31 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
I bought this soundtrack before I'd even seen the movie and just absolutely love it. It's a beautiful collection of songs and no matter how many times I listen to it, I never tire of them. I particularly like Elegy for Dunkirk. I would undoubtedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atonement soundtrack one of the highlights of the movie, 30 Aug. 2007
T. King (Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
I have seen this film twice at previews prior to its release in the UK on 7th September. The film is excellent and one of the best things about it is the score which is very inventive and underpins the film's emotional scenes. The end-title music is particularly good and will encourage you to stay in your seat and read the credits!

This isn't strictly a review of the product on offer as it hasn't landed on my doormat yet but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atonement OST (Marianelli), 21 April 2010
This review is from: Atonement (Audio CD)
A truly moving and inspiring movie soundtrack - Marianelli's music is astoundingly thoughtful and beautiful with enormous emotional impact. The themes are involving, moving and deeply melancholy throughout.

Atonement
Atonement by Dario Marianelli (Audio CD - 2007)