5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong.
I just received this set a few days ago and finished all 4 episodes. I was not disappointed by any of the scripts. And, since I have not read all of Val McDermid's books I cannot compare the series to her books. What I can say is for me, the scripts are gripping, well, written, and quite thought provoking.

As for the acting, Robson Green, as always, is...
Published on 29 Oct. 2007 by Dolphin Dreams

1.0 out of 5 stars disaponted: no subtexts.
Published on 25 April 2009 by I. E. Henneman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong., 29 Oct. 2007
Dolphin Dreams (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)

As for the acting, Robson Green, as always, is superb and Simone Lahbib is wonderful! I have followed her career in Bad Girls, Monarch and Heartless and was impressed with how she has handled the transition to WITB. The relationship between her character Alex and Tony is quite different than that between Carol and Tony and had me on edge until I got comfortable with it. And let me not forget the great supporting cast!

I have already watched a couple of episodes twice because they are filled with so much and I find I can always pick up something I missed in the first viewing. I was captivated by many of the themes, Tony's ability to get into the criminal's mind and in one episode the symbolic imagery used. This episode did have some graphic scenes in it, but as always, Tony was able to find the hidden meaning in it all.

I was thinking of giving this a rating of 4 only because I was a bit disappointed in the DVD set for two reasons: 1) There are no scene selections or chapters. So, if you wish to watch a scene over you must rewind the whole scene, you cannot go to previous.

2) There is no captioning for the hearing impaired (I have a friend who is hard of hearing and will definitely let her know this so she isn't disappointed if she purchases the DVD set).
But, I love the show so much I did not wish to give any indication I was displeased with the show itself. For any fan of WITB you will not be disappointed in the material at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars New twists, 19 Oct. 2007
Ray Blake (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
The themes in the Season 4 episodes are familiar: murdered prostitutes, drugs, psychological games. This has never been a show for the faint-hearted.

The introduction of a new detective, though, allows some interesting tensions to develop, as Tony Hill has to establish credibility and trust all over again as well as continuing to battle his own demons. Robson Green continues to bring life to the charater in surely his best TV role.

Val McDermid's novels haven't kept pace with these series' requirement for new stories, and only one of these epioses ('Torment') is based on one of her novels, but the writing is good enough that you'll probably not notice. For my money, this season is superior to the recently-screened fifth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and gripping, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
With all these different crime and forensic dramas out there, it's easy to by-pass certain productions thinking it's just more of the same. However, I find WItB to be quite fantastic! The story lines always keep me guessing and there are often little twists to throw me off. The psychological-profiling perspective is rather fresh and wonderfully played by Robson Green.

In this series Simone Lahbib has replaced Hermoine Norris, and does an esquisite job- much like her predecessor. The new character brings a whole new dynamic to the show.

Bottom line- I love it and I marvel at Val McDermid's ability to conjure up these imaginative, yet very real, stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'It's the voice! The voice is controlling them!', 20 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
In both episodes young women are slashed up and murdered horrifically... it's getting very predictable.
Episode 2 features 'the voice' a mystery character who is telling schizophrenics who to kill, including themselves!
The voice is like Captain Black of the Mysterons, an omnipresent dark force...
Except 'the voice' turns out to be a minor police officer who appears to have no connection to the two psycho killers?
It is never explained how 'the voice' manages to exert this 'control' as Robson Green calls it.
Very silly!

Looks great, sounds great, acting is great, PLOT is plain silly. JP!

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better, 27 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
I did not see how this series could continue without Carol and I was prepared to be thoroughly disapointed.How wrong can you be? I had never heard of Simone Lahbib on this side of the pond and I had no inkling of how good an actor she is.Her character is very different to Carol but offers the potential of an interesting relationship with Tony.The thing I like about the Tony character as portrayed by Robson Greene is that it manages to retain an essential aura of "worldlessness" in spite of all the horror which surrounds it. The themes continue to be totally absorbing and always varied. I found the episode "Torment" to be particularly intriguing, it showed Tony at his intuitive best. One thing puzzles me, why have they made Alex so " frumpy", her clothes are dreadful,those shapeless wooly sweaters do nothing to flatter her less-than-svelt figure and the quilted jacket that she wears makes her look rather like a sack of wool tied with string. She is a very attractive woman, why try to disguise it? I should add that since watching this series ,I have been led to "Bad Girls", which has only had limited exposure over here and, my opinion of Simone's acting has increased exponentially.The real problem with this series is it's addictive quality, when are they going to bring series 5 to DVD?

1.0 out of 5 stars disaponted: no subtexts., 25 April 2009
I. E. Henneman "Inger" (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
As for series five, this DVD-box set comes without subtexts. As a foregner, but quite fluent in English, this became a great problem, as the actors often mumbles and speek a, for me, unknown English dialect. This made it difficult to un derstand the who's and wy's in the plots. Please Amazon: Make a reference on those DVDs that does not come with subtexts, then we can avoid bying the series! I am thinking of returning the boxes!

4.0 out of 5 stars very solid performances and intense drama, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
Wire in the Blood is one of the best British series, almost five stars, but not quite as amazing as the best American shows, the wire, mad men etc.
However, it is very involving and if you like downbeat mysteries with sometimes gruesome storylines then don't miss it.
A fantastic bargain as the episodes are long. Carol Jordon is sadly missed but Robson Green is again compelling as Tony.
The last episode is a fantastic rollercoaster ride. Great stuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles available, 31 May 2013
Gornet Michel - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
It was not clear that this video was only in english and without any subtitles and some members of my family are not fluent enough in english to understand fully without the help of the subtitles (even in english).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
It is a genuine tragedy that they have stopped making this programme, Robson Green is brilliant as Tony Hill and this entire collection is an absolute must have for any fans of complex crime dramas

3.0 out of 5 stars Flagging a bit, 26 April 2010
This review is from: Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] (DVD)
If you like the others then buy this. I feel the murderers are becoming cartoonish and un-believable. Each one is a master criminal always ahead of the police but it's just not entertaining anymore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD]
Wire In The Blood - Series 4 [UK DVD] by AJ Quinn (DVD - 2007)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available