Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Listen in Prime Learn more

on 9 December 2007
This is a stonking good DVD recorder. The menu and simple timer/setup controls are a joy to use. The Sony RDRGX350B looks sleek and stylish and delivers high quality recordings at many speeds - it can record up to 10 hours on a standard disk!! The machine plays and records most if not all DVD formats and has special modes to record 3 hours on a disk (to record that special 3hr film at best quality).
The menu was easy to operate and had an Undo in case you made a mistake. Having used previous DVD recorders this one stands out and the remote is very light and has great range.
At under £100 this is a bargain. Sony quality without the price.
33 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2008
This is a great peice of kit. It's cheap, easy to use and the difference the upscaling makes to the image quality is quite remarkable. I use it through a SONY 37" LCD HD TV.

I watched Disney's Cars and the picture quality is quite stunning. So good in fact that I can't see how HD could improve upon the picture this little baby produces. The upscaling does seem to make a noticable difference.

However, you must use an HDMI cable to get the benefit of the upscaling - a SCART cable won't cut it.

Set up is quite easy and the upscaling option defaults as standard to 1080i, so you don't have to do anything to get a great picture.

The manual is very good and you can use the remote control to control the TV - one less remote to sit on!

The only down side of this product is the small and not always easy to read display. Other than that, highly recommended - it's a bargain.
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2008
Excellent quality. Arrived promptly. Easy to setup. Recording within the hour. Used DVD-RW. HQ setting is excellent although disks only last an hour. Took disk straight from SONY and played on Denon with no finalising required. Ace. N.B. For best quality (up to 2 hours) get some Dual Layer DVD-RW. May need a hack for multiregion.
on 18 June 2008
Had this one for 4 months now and hugely impressed. Superb quality on playback and recording and quite quiet in operation. HD picture superb, but the best thing is it has finalised some discs I had recorded on my old recorder which I had omitted to finalise. Don't know if the comments on the confusing manual are accurate - didn't find the need to use it and everything has gone well. Good all round performer.
on 29 September 2008
The last DVD recorder I had was a philips model boiught second hand. It had a mind of its own, not recording sometimes and insisting most of the discs I purchased for it were faulty (even though my neighbour never had a problems with discs from the same store) typically, as soon as the 3 month warranty ran out the drawer refused to open, lol.
This new recorder is in a different class. the menu is so easy to use and the thoumbnails all individually play the scene in minature so you have a much better idea of what you recorded earlier. It looks terrific and the picture is far improved from my old player. Timer record is easy peasy to set up and I have yet to take advantage of the HD cable picture upscaler thingy. So far so good though.
Never again will I go for cheap and nasty, but cheap and cheerful from now on.

5 out of 5, brilliant.
Bought the Sony RDRGX350B recorder to replace a top of the range Sony DVD player which was an absolute disater and waste of money in terms of quality and what it would play.

the Sony RDRGX350B was a bit difficult to set-up - surprisingly so as I have a new Sony digital TV. However, once I disregarded the instruction book and followed the time honoured logic of pressing buttons, I managed to get a good signal by setting my old Nokia set-top digital receiver to Auto-Tune.

The DVD plays most of my discs. They are an assortment from all over the world. I have no idea what region or what type of disc they are. Many of my discs are copies of DV stuff sent by friends and cheap DVD's, etc,. The Sony RDRGX350B played about 90% of these discs. (My previous Sony played none!).

Quality of the picture and audio playback = excellent.

Recording is very straightforward. The quality of the recorded DVD playback = excellent.

The handset is a little flimsy for a Sony product - I have 4 other handsets from other Sony products and they are far more robust.

I noticed another review (above) that stated that the receiver was not digital. I agree that this is annoying but afterall, the price I purchased this recorder for was inexpensive.

The Sony RDRGX350B gets a 9/10 based upon price and playback picture quality. I am very pleased and consider it money well spent - highly recommended.
on 20 August 2008
I got this DVD-Recorder today, it was very easy to set up, I have sky + connected and a HD ready TV. The upscaling is amazing, not only for the quality of the DVD's but also because when you play sky through the DVD player it upscales that too - a great shortcut to HD tv.
on 22 November 2008
I ordered this for my Dad to use on his Sony Brava TV and very nice it is too -it took me a while to work my way through the 102 page handbook! I decided to stick to Videoplus to record off the TV. The picture quality compared to VHS is amazing. Although I haven't tried it, it appears you can connect a VHS player to it and copy on to DVD (and therefore also from a camcorder). To me this certainly makes it good value.
The downside is no freeview, you record off the 5 analogue channels - BUT you can record 1 freeview channel off a Brava TV, using a scart lead in line 1 and connect to line 1 on the recorder, then press input button on DVD handset and select line 1. You will only record one digital channel and cannot change to watch an analogue channel nor switch the TV off. HOWEVER if you have an ANALOGUE TV and a DIGITAL box you should be able to set up recorder via your digital box then be able to watch analogue TV while recording on digital and switch you TV off,but keep digital box on! It works with my LG TV/VHS. Despite what others have said, no freeview is a major minus point, some areas have already had analogue TV switched off and we all may have by 2012. However who knows what systems we will be using by then! Until then this is a good quality machine at a bargain price and its good practice for recording on DVDs until we all have to buy a more expensive machine!
on 8 August 2008
A quality machine from a premium brand - what more could you ask for - If you want a DVD Recorder without the hard drive go for this one. The upscaling capabilities are amazing - I have a 1080p tv and this goes fantastic with it. You can tell the difference straight away when watching a DVD with a HDMI cable upscaled compared to using just a scart cable. It records and plays all - , +, and -rw , +rw discs, it will also (if you ask it to) reformat -R & -Rw Discs to( Vr mode) before use.
on 2 March 2008
I read the reviews already posted for this product before I purchased it from Amazon. I have to agree with all of the positive feedback and would say that watching a DVD on this recorder is an absolutely tremendous experience.

However, and it's quite a big 'however', I find it pretty useless for a DVD Recorder, being more akin to an old VCR than a DVD Player, not to have a built-in digital tuner. Apparently you can download digital channels from a Freeview equipped telly, but I haven't been able to yet and when I can, I will only be able to record digital output when the TV is on. In other words, I won't be able to do timer recordings unless the TV is on.

Bearing in mind the fact that the analogue signal will be turned off over the next couple of years in the UK, I think the lack of an integrated digital tuner is pretty lousy.

That said, if you have Sky or a digital set-top box, I wouldn't think the issues I'm having would be relevant.

Asides from this, as indicated above I can't see how a Blu Ray could be any more crisp than the picture quality provided by the upscaling on this machine.
1010 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See one answered question