5.0 out of 5 stars Essential!
Published on 6 Aug 2007 by C. W. Marshall

On first listening to this I got the typical buzz of hearing different versions of familiar tunes but once this novelty had worn off I was left a bit disappointed.

Published on 26 Feb 2008 by Peter James Bond

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential!, 6 Aug 2007
C. W. Marshall "christof" (clapham, london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Show Of Our Lives: Live At The BBC 1968-1975 (Audio CD)
The greatest essentially quirky "English" band of all time are here on a newly collected (but all available before) compilation of BBC Top Gear sessions plus In Concert tracks too....for those people who grew up with Caravan and still know every Dave Sinclair organ solo and can sing along with every Richard Sinclair or Pye Hastings lyric, this release is the perfect start and finish to complete a quintessential Canterbury Scene collection. All these recordings are fantastic quality, not to mention dreamy, beautiful, hugely nostalgic and magnificent in every way.

Though the band's still going after numerous line-up changes, Richard Coughlan, drummer extraordinaire throughout Caravan's history, has been very ill, so get well soon matey... as for this release, simply enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars If I could do it all over again I probably would have saved my money., 26 Feb 2008

There is no Jimmy Hastings' work at all; on some tracks (e.g. For Richard, The Love in Your Eye) they have tried to replace it with 'For Girls that grow Plump in the Night' style violin which I don't like too much: 'Nine Feet Underground' has been abridged to exclude totally the first section which would otherwise feature the wind instruments.

The tracks that come from 'Caravan' and 'If I could do it all over again etc.' are good versions with the psychedlic keyboard sound but are not as good as the album versions.

The quality of the whole thing is a bit poor too.

So overall, it's nice to have this album in your Caravan collection, but put it in between 'Back to Front' and 'Blind Dog at St Dunstans' to gather dust, and keep 'In the Land of Grey and Pink' and 'If I could do it all over again etc.' for the CD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 27 Dec 2013
I have all of Caravan's albums on vinyl and still play them. I decided to buy a 'Best of' on CD for convenience- this is an excellent buy!
It is refreshing to hear the slightly different versions of some of their best songs- a really nice reminder of the half dozen times that I saw them live in the early 70's
They were (and still are!)a brilliant under rated band.

4.0 out of 5 stars live and loud, 5 Dec 2013
This collection of live songs from the bbc are typical of the band live set in the era of the early to mid seventies. They always delivered in concert and this shines through in these recordings. This 2 disc set is a bargain price too. So blow a few bucks! and relive a time when most things were a lot better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Caravan - Live at the BBC 1968-1975, 4 Feb 2011
The first CD is *****, but the later tracks in CD2 (Cunning Stunts period) drops it to ****
Great version of "Nine Feet Underground"

5.0 out of 5 stars gluckje, 30 Nov 2007
W. Jones (here) - See all my reviews
Yes , I don't agree - the kind of music delivered by Caravan was inconsistent through their early career and no doubt , if you play an instrument you may well prefer to listen to some things rather than others , and so a good review is helpfull considering the paucity of info on websites !!!