5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published on 7 Feb 2008 by D. Hemenway

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy with caution.
Good points: stylish, solid and attractive. The scroll wheel is a good feature and overall it's a good package.

Bad point: possible problem with Windows 7 64bit - perhaps the drivers need updating? I say this as I found the sensitivity lacking and my strokes weren't translated as I felt I needed them and indeed, this was confirmed when I went back to my old...
Published on 15 April 2011 by Bosker

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Feb 2008
This review is from: Aiptek MediaTablet 14000U - Graphics Tablet - Digitizer - Includes Photoshop Element (Accessory)
Having only previously used Wacom tablets I was a little sceptical about purchasing this unit but was interested in the widescreen features and high resolution. However, I was VERY pleasantly surprised as the tablet itself is incredibly well designed and finished. The pen is superior to all of the none Wacom types I've tried before. The AAA battery the pen takes actually gives it a nice 'weight' and sturdy feel in the hand. The battery should last several months of constant writing use the manual says!
In use the tablet is a joy to use being accurate and very responsive and easily on a par, and maybe even better than, my Wacom! I used it with Photoshop and various other drawing and animation packages and it worked efficiently with all. The scroll wheels are great for zooming in on artwork etc.

To say I was impressed is an understatement!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better than Expected, 11 Oct 2008
J. Caliber "John Caliber" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I originally used a Wacom tablet, then upgraded to a Samsung tablet monitor; this latter purchase lacked pressure sensitivity, and the awkward angle of drawing caused wrist strain. Lately, I decided to revert back to the tablet as a tried and tested alternative.

I was surprised how expensive the Wacom tablets have become, and simply could not afford any of the larger, higher quality models. I had limited awareness of tablets as manufactured by rival companies, and only chanced upon a selection when browsing Amazon.co.uk. I purchased the Aiptek 14000U based upon the favourable reviews. It was shipped from Germany to the UK, and arrived within a week.

The tablet is silver and black, and I was surprised with its quality of build, expecting something flimsy and shoddy, but I found the design pleasing, streamlined, sturdy and a harmonious addition to my desk. The drawing area is approximately A4, rotated 90-degrees. I have a 19-inch monitor and can produce illustrations and comic book work effortlessly. The tablet features two wheels (they make a pleasing, low-volume clicking sound when used) which alternate between scrolling and zooming. Surrounding the drawing area are 34, fully customisable macro keys, allowing common software keyboard sequences to be executed with the touch of a single, corresponding key on the tablet.

The stylus pen is black and silver, streamlined and nicely weighted with the addition of a single AAA battery. The stylus features buttons replicating the right-left buttons of a mouse. They do not obstruct the drawing experience. The stylus tip is slightly sprung.

I have used the Aiptek tablet with Photoshop CS3 and Painter X. The stylus is very sensitive, allowing for delicate lines and by the gentle application of pressure, varying line thicknesses. I have found my new tablet to exceed any comparison with its Wacom counterparts - in fact, I prefer the Aiptek 14000U. Aesthetically it is more pleasing, and the added features make it a joy to use. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aiptek Media Tablet 14000U, 5 Jan 2009
B. Lucas (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As with most people on here, I was not keen on spending a fortune on a Wacom tablet initially as I had previously never used a tablet for my graphics work.

I picked up my Aiptek 14000 for about £90 almost a year ago now, and have since then been extremely happy with it, using it more and more all the time. I began using it on my old Sony RX-203, 19 inch 4:3 monitor on Windows XP with Adobe CS and was very happy with the results, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash (for animation not code) are my my main programmes but I also use Manga Studio and Toon Boom, both in addition to Adobe CS work flawlessly.

There is some hidden treats with this over the Wacom tablets, the pressure sensitivity (1024 levels) along with the very high resolution of 4000-lpi, is equal to the Wacom tablets available at the time so this was a great start, many cheap tablets are half the Wacoms normally, and an extra bonus was the 34 programmable quick menu keys, this tablet has one extra huge bonus, it is dual mode so can be used with a widescreen monitor too, so switching to my new 27 inch monitor meant I just press the 4:3 to 16:9 button and we are ready to go instantly!!

I have now upgraged to a completely new PC, now running on Vista Pro (32bit), and have dual monitors with my Aiptek tablet working on my huge 27inch screen, which still works perfectly. Please note that you cannot set up the tablet to work from both monitors, which isn't really a problem as I only do artwork on the one anyway.
I actually use a combination of the tablet and mouse together almost all the time now as this combination makes my workflow extremely fast and very productive.

I can only say that I am so pleased with this and the ONLY thing that would improve this would be the addition of a transparent overylay so that you could place artwork to trace underneath. I have fashioned my own using some very thin Perspex and some stick on Velcro! Perfect!

I rate this:

9/10 - Value for money
8/10 - Usability / Set-up
9/10 - Quality

5.0 out of 5 stars So Much Better Than A Mouse, 8 Jan 2009
I do a lot of digital photography and editing and was looking for something a lot more precise than the traditional mouse and a tablet seemed to be the way to go. After looking around it seemed that Wacom is the "professional" make, but I couldn't afford their high prices. The Aiptek 14000U had got a few good and a few negative reviews but I decided to go for it anyway.

The first tablet seemed to be very juddery and a call to Aiptek's customer care line confirmed that it was faulty. The phone was answered after four rings and I was speaking to a real person and not some horrible automated press 1 followed by hash nonsense. They were very courteous and apolgised for the problem. I contacted Amazon and their efficient returns procedure worked perfectly, whilst sending me out a new unit.

The second tablet has worked perfectly and makes detailed editing an absolute breeze. The selection process, whereby you can use the pressure sensitive stylus to do various things is just superb and being a decent size means that you can be very accurate. I usually use it with Paint Shop Pro X2, although I've also started using it for very precise sound editing with Audacity. I run Windows Vista.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic tablet, 29 May 2008
E. Sullivan (UK) - See all my reviews
I actually got this as my first 'major' graphic's tablet while not wanting to go over board and spend over £100. And this is worth every penny. I've found it great for photoshop even if it took about 5 minutes to work out the pressure variatons for the brushes but its great. The scrolling wheels are brilliant for both scrolling and zooming while the working area is a good size for the digital colouring work I do.

I've found with this that the handwriting software that is a part of the bundle is actually pretty good, its only flaw being that it has a trouble with some of my joined up writing. But if you're like me and enjoy writing just as much as typing but constantly lose paper then this is great for writing to the computer.

Overall, a fantastic tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems what-so-ever., 9 April 2008
Mr. M. West "Matt" (Leeds, UK.) - See all my reviews
I am a photographer, and needed something more accurate than a mouse for all of the usual touching up that is often needed, especially for scanned slide, but I couldn't justify paying a premium for a wacom.

This Graphics tablet is absolutely flawless in terms of functionality, there is no lag, no interference, and the accuracy is spot on, as is the pressure sensitivity.

The build quality of the tablet itself is top notch, however the pen does feel a little cheap due to the plastics used, and the button can get in the way a little, regardless I would recommend this tablet to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Starter Tablet, 4 May 2009
Using on Vista this work pretty well. Have been using a mouse with photoshop for years, and decided to move up to a tablet. Initially considered buying a Wacom, but was put off by the price (especially as this was my first tablet). I took the view to buy this one instead primarily because I wasn't sure how I would find using it, but at the price it is, it wouldn't hurt too much.

Needless to say, this tablet works as expected on Vista & Photoshop CS3. The driver installation was painless. Photoshop recognises the tablet, which allows you to configure pen movements/pressure, in a variety of ways. I think I've now configured it to the way I like to work.

This tablet (as would I suspect other good ones) gives an extra level of control when working within Photoshop. I for one am quite happy with this purchase.

Would I buy a Wacom, possibly if I grow out of using this one - Not for a while yet

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 31 May 2009
Ashley Charles Williamson (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This being my first graphics tablet, i was abit unsure of what i was looking for. The price was abit off putting, but normally a graphics tablet is much more expensive than this, and the cheap versions are too small. It's the perfect size, although i admit, the widescreen is a bit hard to get the positions right so i use 4:3. I use it for drawing in photoshop and sometimes just to operate my pc, which is nice and smooth.

The Pen has a nice feel in your hand, and is the perfect weight, the pressure sensing on this is pretty remarkable, and it has it's own little "ink well" which holds the pen on your desk, and just to confirm some mysteries, this does come with a replacement nib and batteries.

I would definitely recommend this to anybody looking for a cheap yet nice sized tablet, used for creating graphics and editing photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aiptek 14000u Windows and Linux, 18 May 2009
Arran Hughes (Wales/Bradford) - See all my reviews
I got this tablet and used it with Windows xp pro and it didn't really cut it. the sensitivity was ok but every now and again would glitch out and be very annoying.

I downloaded Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (which is free to use for those who don't know - just google it. you can install within windows too using a program called wubi)

Using the GIMP program within ubuntu and going to edit>preferences>input devices>Configure extended input devices> and set all the 'WALTOP' devices to screen. Now this tablet is just as good as a wacom with this waltop driver, really smooth and pen pressure is so precise. When I want to do any texture work for my 3d animations I use ubutnu and can freely switch back to windows. If you have this tablet and are experiencing difficulties with windows just give ubuntu a try, remember you can run it alongside windows without effecting it and is easily uninstallable from add/remove programs in windows.

Within windows I would give this table a 6/10
with ubuntu it scores 10 as I cant fault it any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet with all the bells and whistles you need., 26 Mar 2009
Zak (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Installation and setup takes less than 5 minutes and works perfectly with Photoshop CS2, Corel Draw and all other Windows software I tried.

The pen pressure can be set independently from the setup software. Scroll wheels for left or right handers are very handy and you can set the functions of the two buttons on the pen. There are also 34 programmable macro keys around the edge which I can see coming in useful.

Very sensitive, no lag and pleasantly light pen. The working area is large and more or less the same size as a 19" widescreen monitor.

If you are moving from an optical mouse to a tablet for the first time you may find it odd that the movements are 1:1 with the screen - e.g. if you want to click on the taskbar on the far right of the screen you have to reach across to the edge of the tablet. There is a the facility to set it to relative mode so that it acts like a mouse but this does seem a little pointless (personal preference).

If you work in a huge company and you want the boss to buy you a status symbol, get a Wacom for 5 times the price. If you want a decent, large high-res tablet that does everything you want - buy this one. A bargain.

UPDATE December 2011 - two and a half years down the road and still going strong with Windows 7 and all the new software in the meantime. I still can't fault it and it seem to be a couple of quid cheaper now!
After a year the pen did conk out and I had to replace it - this is more than likely my fault as I continually dropped it on the floor and/or stood on it. The replacement pen (which was less than a tenner) has been treated with more respect and is also going strong after a year and a half)