5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung S85 camera
Brilliant camera for the price, very light and compact, well balanced and easy to understand. Superb 5x zoom and a choice of resolutions up to an over the top 8megapixels. I use mine on 5mp for quicker downloads and I've had some great wildlife shots already. Get Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries with this camera and a 1gb Smart card and you'll have a winning combination.
Published on 9 Jan 2008 by derekm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad
Published on 12 April 2008 by Maid Marian

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy proper batteries, 11 July 2008
Mr. George Inglis (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung S85 Digital Camera - Silver (8MP, 5 x Optical Zoom) (Electronics)
You should buy Samsung rechargable batteries for this camera as batteries like Duracell are too powerful for it. The camera deals with this problem by either freezing, switching off, or displaying a low battery power message, even when the batteries are brand new. It's the camera's way of dealing with a power surge. I found this out the complicated way - by returning it to the vendor saying it was faulty. I should have read the manual properly. So, for those who say it is 'battery hungry', you're probably using the wrong batteries. The camera is good for the money, and even the rechargeable batteries are worth the extra expense over normal batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung S85 camera, 9 Jan 2008
derekm (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value - worth shopping around, 3 Jan 2008
Tony Jones "Tony" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The market for digital cameras in this price range has produced a lot of convergence on style and function. At the time of buying I found this in a certain retail park store for 80 and bought it on the grounds of optical zoom (5x) then pixels (8M). Like all cameras in this range that I have tried it is easy to use, small, light and networks to an XP machine with no drivers needed. Unlike some others this one is slightly more chunky and feels robust.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, 12 April 2008
I managed to find this camera for 60 - so excellent value. I usually use a more advanced (and therefore bulkier) camera but bought this for slipping in my handbag for those unexpected occasions. I was disappointed that it doesn't have a viewfinder and I'm finding it difficult to take a picture while holding the camera away from me - just a warning to anyone else who's not used to that either! Apart from that, a perfect camera for everyday use, rather than serious photography.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, but uses Battery Power Quickly, 31 Dec 2008
When our old Polaroid digital camera finally broke down, we had a big, long choice on what digital camera to buy as a replacement. Finally, we came down to the deciseon that the Samsung D85 wsa best for us. Firstly, I have to say that this is an amazing camera in quality and functions: it features 5X optical zoom which is extremely useful. It also has 8.2 megapixels so the quality of the picture is very good. Another feature is the face recognition. Like it says in the name, this feature recognizes faces and makes them clearer when you take the picture. Also, this camera has quite a lot of useful modes such as: night mode, auto mode, film mode, face recognision mode, shake reduction mode and manual mode. Auto mode sets default setting which are best for the conditions you are photgraphing however, if you are a proffesional or you know what you are doing with cameras, then there is a manual mode which lets you manualy adjust settings like "iso" and "focus" and sharpness and all sorts of stuff like that. This camera is also quite compact - it doesn't fit into your pocket however it is still small enough to be convinient to carry around on trips.
I have to compliment that although this is not a "video camera", this camera has superb filming capabilities. It can store a considerable amount of film and the picture is very clear (not grainy unless viewed on a big screen). A negative on this camera is on how much battery power it uses. If using normall batteries, they will probably go after 50-75 photos. If using flash then the batteries would probably go after 25-50 photos. This however, is the only negative point about this camera.
Overall, this is an outstanding camera for any sort of person from an amateur photographer to a professional who wants a compact camera. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars CD Rom Software Issues, 11 July 2008
A. Saunders (UK) - See all my reviews
Have just received this camera and it looks a good product. Lighter and smaller than I had expected. Be warned that the instructions for insterting the memory card are back to front so don't try to force it in the wrong way around. Also, the CD Rom which contains the software and enables you to download the user manual, does not work on my laptop (Windows XP). It will not read the disk, however it does work on a standard upright computer. Have not been able to contact Samsung to solve this problem. Would have been better if the User Manual had been included with the camera rather than having to print off over 100 pages.

3.0 out of 5 stars battery power glugger, 2 Jun 2008
R. Lawrence - See all my reviews
This is a lovely little camera. Just bought it and it's very easy to use, takes nices shots, has a fanatsic screen on the back. BUT, and it's a big but for me, the batteries die in no time at all. It takes two AA batteries at a time, and those will used up in a day if you were at a big occassion like a wedding or party. I've just been away for the weekend and taken about 150 shots, and needed 2 sets of batteries. Really lets the camera down, as can't fault anything else. Unfortunately, we'll be returning ours, as it will cost us a small fortune in batteries if we were to take it on our holiday this summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and fits in your pocket, 2 Dec 2009
This compact digital camera is very easy to use and I think it would be suitable for all abilities. It has some useful modes e.g. Auto, Portrait, Nightscene, Program, Movie, ASR and Manual. There is a trimming facility to zoom in and create another photo from the original before you upload them on to your computer.

Using the scene mode, choose from landscape, close up, text, children, sunset, dawn and backlight. In the program mode, set the size, quality, metering, drive, white balance, and ISO (from 50-1600) and exposure value you desire.

The movie mode (AVI format) has a pause button which is rarely found on other cameras on the market. The mic is very good and picks up sound easily. Again, you have the facility to trim your movie clips on the camera itself prior to transferring the files to a computer.

I always take an extra couple of recharged AA batteries with me when I go out. I take at least 200 photos before I need to recharge them. I am happy with how long the battery power lasts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera - hefty energy consumption, 5 Nov 2009
D. O'Neill (uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera for a 3 week holiday i took in jamaica.

The camera has many functions and takes excellent photos, an absolute bargain. The only problem is the energy consuption. I got through 2 duracell plus batteries in one day and another 2 the following day. I decided to purchase some lithium batteries from energiser and the camera lasted for the rest of the holiday (3 weeks minus 2 days) which consisted of 400 photos plus me looking at them in the evenings and the camera is still operational on the same batteries some 2 months later.

Get lithium batteries and enjoy a great camera from very little money.

5.0 out of 5 stars where is it ???, 7 Aug 2008
The only problem i can find with this camera, is how extremely difficult it is to actualy find one and buy it. A few months ago, they were all over the place, and now i actually want one, I CANT FIND ONE ! ! !