5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to use.
Published on 24 Mar 2008 by Ne0nNightmare

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice but buy at your own risk...
I bought one of these after reading a glowing review from a well known computer magazine that recommended this - and still does today - as the best budget buy compact camera on the current market.

Published on 17 Jun 2008 by Robert Howcroft

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy to use., 24 Mar 2008
This review is from: Samsung NV8 Digital Camera - Black Metal Body (8MP, 3 x Optical Zoom) (Electronics)
I've had the camera for a few days now and I think it's awesome. It has the normal point and click modes you'd expect of a digital camera, which let you take normal holiday/day out type shots, but it also has a very good manual mode, which allows you to fiddle with the setup almost as much as an SLR camera. You can adjust exposure, shutter speed, ISO speed, aperture, etc etc, allowing you to get far more involved with the process. As far as I can see it has everything but manual focus.

The camera uses a weird slider control on the back, with a series of horizontal and vertical buttons that you run your finger across. This seemed odd at first, but it's so simple and easy to work out, and really quick to use, that I now think it's superior to the standard scroll-wheel control you get on everything these days.

Picture quality is really good, as you'd expect from 8 megapixels, although if using the advanced modes you have to vaguely know what you're doing to get the best results.

While a bit of a weird shape, the body is small enough to slip into your pocket/handbag comfortably.

Connection to PC requires installation of a CD, but only took 5 mins, while on a Mac it just plugs in and works straight away - very handy.

Overall I would heartily recommend this camera for anyone wanting to get into photography a bit more, but who also needs a camera to take on holiday for quick snaps.

EDIT: I took this on holiday to Canada and it did not enjoy it. To be fair, the temperature was -35, so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but the mechanism ground to a halt and moisture appeared under the LCD. I would still 100% recommend it though, just maybe not for Arctic conditions!

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung NV8 Review, 26 Aug 2008
I have owned this camera for a little under 2 weeks and have so far used it heavily since I have had the oppurtunity to take it to Venice with me on my holidays.
Firstly, the camera has a fantastic full metal construction body, which is great to hold and is in it self a lovely looking camera, being small aswell. The 2.5" screen at the back makes pictures look sharp and wonderful and the touch operated buttons to scroll up/down are very easy to use and only take about 10-15 minutes to get used to it as they are very simple to use.
There are two main modes that you can use which are of course automatic and manual, and if like me you are a novice photographer, automatic is what you should be using unless you have some knowledge of aperture/shutter speed/iso settings etc but, after a short amount of time you can switch to the manual mode and select the mentioned settings and a whole host more. Video mode is very good, zoom is good, basically, there are not many faults.
Taking pictures with the auto mode is easy as point and click..or is it? Once a shot has been taken and viewed on the screen, you are left thinking you have taken a wonderful picture..and you would be mostly right except for a few things...The camera automatically adjusts the brightness/contrast for the subject of your photo, which of course is what you want, but the result is that a lot of purple fringing will occur as the subject is brightened as is the background, when in some cases you would not want this to happen. If for example you take a picture of your garden and focus on something infront of you, the background will show no clouds (if there are clouds) and various other objects will disappear or be lost in the bright light. If you know how to use manual as I now do, adjusting the shutter speed and aperture is the way to go, but if you are just starting out you may feel, like I did, that a good picture has been wasted.
Other than that, pictures are very good once manual mode is engaged, macro shots show fantastic clarity at the closest of ranges, focus is quick, colours are very rich and vibrant.
4 stars because of the auto which lets it down somewhat. But recommend on the whole!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking little camera, 22 April 2008
Whole heartedly agree with the other review.

Bought this through Amazon and it arrived very promptly. Looks great and scrolling through the menus is just so easy.

Have taken some simple point and click photos and am delighted with the results. Very easy to use, will now have to spend some time looking at the manual for some of the more technical features, but have to confess this may be some time happening as the auto settings give such good results.

Have just logged on to Amazon to write this review and spotted the NV10 is now on offer, so we have just ordered this as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice but buy at your own risk..., 17 Jun 2008

I'd have to admit that the black metal body of the camera does feel reassuringly strong however I did wonder about its ability to resist scratches where they would show up more compared against a sliver camera. The camera also has a nice weight but I'm afraid function wise, the rest left me feeling very average.

The photos were nice to look at on a computer but I don't think they were as good as my Fuji S5800 which I also bought quite recently. This quite surprised me, since from reading magazine and online reviews, I expected them to be at least as good, if not better. Of course, if I'd played with the settings on the NV8 more I may have improved the quality but then the same could be said for the Fuji.

The NV8 has face detection which the Fuji lacks, and while this is the first camera I've had with this technology, it didn't seem to work that well for me. Although it can apparently detect up to ten faces, I could never get it to pick up more than three or four despite more faces than that being clearly in the frame.

The touch sensitive buttons up and along the back of the camera were certainly gimmicky but barely necessary in my opinion and I still prefer the dial type setting. Even cameras of this price are full of wizardry and I don't think it's expecting too much for the user to at least take a little time to learn the main functions without feeling the need to compensate for them, or at least thinking they should.

The battery life was amazing however, even when I tried to deliberately discharge the 2000mh rechargeable batteries inside it through continuously taking photos and I got bored after over 150 shots. In the end, I had to switch to video mode and leave it running!

Now so far, so good but here comes the bad news. In the end my camera had to go back to the shop due to the flash opening by itself and/or not firing properly. I carried this in the same top pocket where other small cameras have previously - and happily - been carried for years but on this camera the pop-up flash did indeed keep popping up. I felt it only a matter of time before the flash would suffer from some sort of damage, possibly even snapping off, and it's this that possibly caused the intermittent malfunction. When I took it back to the shop, I was offered the display model which upon inspection also had a damaged flash. So having seen two broken cameras, mine and the shops, I decided not to risk another model and it seemed this could be a design problem. It's also interesting to see that the new Samsung NV30 - which could be seen almost as an upgrade to the NV8 but with a silver body - now sports a built in flash thus eliminating the pop-up from the NV8.

So overall, it was a nice camera in the short time I had it but I was extremely disappointed with the flash problem. You could of course carry it in a hard case where the flash will be protected but this seems such a major design flaw to me that you shouldn't even need to be compensating for it in the first place. So while I'd give it four stars for performance, the suspect flash is such a terminal fault that personally I couldn't possibly recommend it for someone else to buy in case it snapped off, leaving them with a broken camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera -Shame it got stolen, 28 Mar 2010
R. D. Parkinson "Rog" (Stamford) - See all my reviews
Hope the thief enjoyed the camera as much as I did -bit of a late review but top quality point and shoot camera

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT...with one exception, 27 April 2009
col_p (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I love this camera and would give it 6 stars, if it were possible and but for one thing; the pop-up flash. I kept mine in my top jacket pocket, with no case and within a month I had to put it back to Samsung to have it repaired. It had popped up and would not return into the main body of the camera. The repair appears to be holding up and I'm now in the market for an adequate case. Other than that, it's an excellent camera. At risk of sounding a bit poncey, it's a modern automatic camera with a bit of personality. The design features make it as stand-out; the body is solid and lets you know where your money's been spent. The scrolling system appears overkill at first, but is totally intuitive after a few uses. It also has a manual function on it, giving it greater flexibility for manipulating shots.

If you're more careful with it than I was, you'll see this as a sound purchase. It's a beautiful unit to look at and would be a steal at the price, if it weren't for the pop-up flash's vulnerability to damage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and easy to use - Excellent value, 24 Aug 2008
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I selected the Samsung as it had received some pretty good press reviews, and I am not disappointed. What I wanted was a very small camera, simple to use, andwhich produced good quality results; nothing fancy as I already have a decent digital SLR.

The Samsung ably fits the bill; it is very small and light. It comes on very quickly from start, and is extremely simple to operate. It is however worth spending a little time setting it up to your liking, and getting to know what it has to offer; but apart from that it need be nothing more than simply a matter of point and press.

But of course none of this is any good if it doesn't take good pics; and no problems here either. The quality is excellent. Close-up shots using the telephoto can be extremely good showing remarkable detail (I say can be, because the telephoto is so strong that one has to be very careful about camera shake). The colours are remarkably true to life and natural, and it produces good contrast even in relatively poor light.

It is worth getting spare batteries as well as a decent size memory card as the camera's storage capacity is quite small.

There are cameras which have more to offer, and cost more; but if you are looking for something which is easy, and quick, to use, you'll have to go a long way to find anything better.