5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, wishful and sophisticated
This is a remarkable new turning point for Stacey Kent.

Published on 17 Sep 2007 by Hiro

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs a new song writer
Is Stacey a true jazz lady full with an amazing voice that is stunningly beautiful to listen to? Yes.
Is her band a group of highly accomplished musicians who make wonderful music? Most definitely yes.
Do they need to find some decent material to work with? Oh hell yes!

With lyrics like "eat some waffles, forget your troubles" that made a concert...
Published on 4 May 2009 by ME

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, wishful and sophisticated, 17 Sep 2007
Hiro "Tokyoite" (West Hampstead, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
This is a remarkable new turning point for Stacey Kent.

For the past 10 years, she has been mainly singing numbers form the great American Songbooks. However, on this CD, she sings lesser known beautiful songs (such as 'Landslide'), 3 French songs ('Ces petits riens', 'Samba saravah' et 'La saison des Pluies' - my French friend told me that her French is very very very good) and 3 numbers from the songbook ('Hard hearted Hannah', 'Never let me go' and 'What a wonderful world') and even 4 originals (Jim/Ishiguro) for the first time in her career. She did sing Bacharach, Paul Simon and Carole Kind in her another wonderful album "The Boy Next Door", but this CD 'Breakfast on the Morning Tram' has a fresher approach.

When I first listened to the CD, I felt she sounded so airy and free. I am sure she enjoyed the challenge, but I guess the holy ghosts from the past haunted her when she was singing the old tracks - I am sure Ella (who I adore from the bottom of my heart!), Sara or Billie crossed her mind, and she needed to present her new interpretations of the classics. She, without a single failure, managed to give a fresh life to every single song she has sung so far. But by introducing newer songs, I guess she managed to set her free even more. Listen to `Landslide`, she sounds so natural and more of herself. I adore the way she sings this beautiful song without any pretension whatsoever.

Put this CD on when you notice the first sign of the autumn in the air. Put a gardi on and go to the garden, and listen to the CD in the sun. I am sure you will also agree that this CD is warm, wishful and sophisticated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Stacey!, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
Heard Stacey Kent perform several of the numbers on this CD at London's Cadogan Hall in April. Loved the concert and immediately ordered the disc. It features mostly original material which she sings superbly. Furthermore, her backing group is also excellent. A CD which I highly recommend to all lovers of vocal jazz who are looking for a diversion from the usual standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
The Ishiguro songs are the best modern 'intelligent' songs I have heard for a long time and her cover of 'Landslide' strips it to its bones to reveal the beautiful melody which, as ever, her perfect voice does great justice to. And her French isn't bad either......

4.0 out of 5 stars A beguiling and different album from Stacey Kent, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
Stacey Kent's highly polished albums of standards are extremely listenable if at times over-glossed tributes to the genius of the Great American Songbook. I have always had a few reservations about this particular musician, but on this new album I have to say I am completely won over. The unique feature of this project is, of course, the addition of four very evocative and melodic original songs by saxophonist/hubby Jim Tomlinson and lyrics by Kazuo Ishiguro. These songs are quite literally tailor-made for Kent's brand of reticent romanticism, and her singing on these numbers has a special personal quality. Sometimes her albums of standards have the feeling of a production line (though, admittedly, a very expert production line); these new songs prompt her to express something fresh. I particularly enjoyed "I Wish I Could Go Travelling Again".

The other cuts on the album are equally pleasurable, and again it's nice to see her tackling something a little off the beaten track: the delightful samba from "A Man and a Woman" is a real highpoint, and I am always pleased to hear a lovely reading of the beautiful Bergman/Mendes "So Many Stars". Stevie Nick's "Landslide" also makes a strong impression, for all it seems to venture into Norah Jones territory.

Overall, this CD is a treat from start to finish, a highly musical and intelligent collection of excellent songs. At Amazon's price of under a fiver, you can't really say no.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
An interesting departure from Stacey Kent's usual standards. Featuring some great new material.

A slight diversion in material choice for Stacey Kent featuring some great new (newer) songs. I wonder with each album if she can keep getting better but she does. Very hard to stop playing this wonderful disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've really warmed to this album...and now I love it, 9 Sep 2009
I noticed that Stacey was appearing in concert in my home town (Liverpool), but was not familiar with her work and so got hold of this album. I was impressed enough to go and see her in concert (of which more later). I liked the album when I first heard it, but have grown to really love it. The only exception to this is the title track, which I think is the weakest song in the collection and doesn't quite come off as well lyrically or musically as the other homegrown efforts. The choice and variety of songs on the album is excellent however, and I think, superior to her other albums of standards which although executed well, are similar to the route followed by so many other artists.

I am a big Diana Krall fan, but really think she has gone off the boil on her latest, 'Quiet Nights'. I have found myself listening to Stacey Kent more and more instead - there's something about her voice that really 'gets you'. I would also recommend 'Dreamland' if you haven't heard that one.

Stacey in concert was a bit mixed - her, and her bands performance was brilliant, but I found her stagecraft left a lot to be desired. The most annoying aspect of this was her constantly standing with her back to the audience. This annoyed my wife so much that she can't understand why I still like her as an artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such good songs, 27 Feb 2014
S. E. Grigg (Hayling Island, Hants., UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
Again this is a lovely CD and is quite different to all her past recordings. As a singer myself I am most inspired by her songs in this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performer and performance, 19 Feb 2014
P. Meehan (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
Just love this CD.
It's difficult to say that it is Stacey Kent at her best. So far I have not heard anything of hers that is less than Best.

If you like Stacey, you must add this to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
Stacey Kent has an evocative voice. She insists you remember her and it's worth it. This is a great CD, especially because she is singing some newer, different material. Up till now she has been more interested in covers, but Breakfast on the morning tram (great title) is a departure for her. Worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing Stacy Kent, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Breakfast on the morning tram (Audio CD)
First Album i've bought by Stacy Kent, there's not a bad track on it. We have put this on over the weekend and it just plays again and again without getting bored. Already bought second CD and have tickets to see Stacy in Wimbourne later this year - can't wait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Breakfast on the morning tram
Breakfast on the morning tram by Stacey Kent (Audio CD - 2007)