4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Radio
Published on 9 Sep 2008 by L. Amer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I bought this radio after reading the positive reviews above and was thoroughly disappointed.

The radio is *very* sensitive to movement, unlike other digital radios I have bought and has trouble keeping a strong enough signal. This is not a problem with reception in my area because other digital radios in the same house work fine.

Another problem is,...
Published on 16 Dec 2010 by Dr. Duncan Hull

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Radio, 9 Sep 2008
L. Amer (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Gemini 45 DAB FM RDS Digital Radio - Black (Electronics)
This is an nifty little DAB radio. We have it in the kitchen and the reception is extremely good on all the major stations (plus a few extra ones I do not really listen to!). It can pick up all of the BBC stations; sport is especially well catered for on all of the Radio 5 stations (crystal clear, without the Medium Wave crackle and pop), 6 Music is a brilliant alternative station for people who are serious about their music.
The sound from such a small radio has a nice tone and it can be turned up to a surprisingly loud volume without distortion. The display panel is limited but still informative e.g. it displays programme title, programme information, "song now playing", news and, if your tuned into sport, it even displays the cricket scores and football results!
For the price, I would highly recommend this as a first DAB radio or one for the kitchen/bedroom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Dec 2010

Another problem is, the radio picks up lots of stations which in then tells you aren't available because the signal is too weak. You tune in with auto-tune, and it tells you "station not available" - this is very frustrating, if the signal isn't strong enough, it would be better to ignore that station completely. I tried doing a "deep-scan" tune but this didn't help at all.

The radio seems well constructed and the sound is pretty good for a small radio, but the reception is very disappointing in my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality No Frills Mono DAB Radio, 4 Dec 2009
Brian Newbould (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this radio for use in the bedroom. I required a compact DAB radio that would sit comfortably on a small bedside cabinet. Its dimensions fitted the bill to a tee. I also needed DAB access without having to switch the (Freeview) tv on.

The initial set-up and controls are simplicity itself and most appreciated by someone who wishes to 'plug-in and play' without a detailed cover to cover study of the manual. Controls are simple and effective, aerial rotates, rotary volume control is super-smooth, accurate and progressive; another 'plus' for a 'bedroom' radio.

Whilst our tv/fm reception is strong our digital signals are 'not as', furthermore I have heard that the north east is notorious for weak digital signals with North Yorkshire also being the last county in the country to go fully digital?? Our new-ish mini hi-fi in the kitchen can only receive 'talksport' on DAB so I was rather concerned about this signal reception aspect. I need not have been. Yes, positioning of the aerial is critical but once you have spent a bit of time sussing it out it's in our experience perfectly fine. BBC Radio 6, 7 (now 4-Extra) and World Service the main stations we listen to on DAB are fine as are the usual 'strong' fm ones. Obviously signal reception is entirely down to your exact location and the radios capabilities which in our instance were more than up-to the job.

The tone of the radio whilst slightly varying staion-to-station (because of the various microphones used?) is good. I expected a Roberts radio to provide a 'neutral' mellow and refined sound biased towards speech given such a 'smaller' radio. The RD-45 certainly achieves this whilst also coping surprisingly well with higher (not high!) volumes of music too. Considering its modest size and thus limited parameters its balance is spot-on.

It has a recessed carry 'grip' at the rear in addition to the battery compartment which I guess I will never open and the usual phones and line out jacks.

The design and gentle curvatured shape is pleasing to the eye whilst at the same time being suitably restrained though strongly and wrongly it must be said suggesting a twin speaker radio. I wonder how many will fall for that 'suggested' assumption?

To sum up; this is a pleasing DAB radio in a traditional vein being presented in a stylish yet consevative modern case. Its absolutely ideal for Question Time, The Moral Maze, Money Box, The Comedy Controller, Pick Of The Week et'al but also puts in a most respectable performance when listening to music be it your local MOR BBC station, in my instance 'York/North Yorkshire', BBC Radio 2 Classic FM or Desert Island Discs and so forth. It is a little expensive for what you get but as with all quality items in life its perhaps best to pay that little bit more for something that 'little bit better'?

5.0 out of 5 stars DAB Radio, 22 July 2009
Greysuit (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure about the benefits of DAB until I bought this radio.

Plug it in - let it auto tune - select your favourite channels and store them in the memory (easy to do) and it's as simple as that.

Automatically tunes in to the last channel listened to when you switch it on and even in an area where normal FM reception isn't too hot - the DAB signal gives a clear, undistorted sound.

Wish I bought one earlier (but then it would have cost more)

2.0 out of 5 stars beware of poor reception and speaker quality, 6 Jun 2011
I have 3 other Roberts DAB radio's in the house and they all work fine, but with this one I could not receive half of the DAB stations and the quality of sound was poor

4.0 out of 5 stars pressies for grannies, 5 Jan 2011
nice little thing with a quirky but worky design. light and very portable. You can get too complex with these things, so to find a simple search and play system. a one touch favourite station button and a rotary volume control is a joy. My golden oldie found it a breeze to use and loves the suprising richness of tone. A quality piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and attractive mid-range DAB radio, 11 Nov 2007
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I've been wanting a digital radio for a while and due to a set of circumstances that I won't bore you with I've now become the proud owner of a Roberts RD-45. Given the clarity of the broadcast I must say I regret not making the switch earlier but providence determined this was the time.
The signal without hiss, crackle and the ghost of other stations whispering in the background is ,of course, the outstanding thing about DAB, and the RD-45 provides what I had been led to expect. It's a neat looking thing , unlike some of the models I,ve seen, either in black ( which I chose) or silver .It allows you to pre-set five DAB stations and five on FM with an extra favourite button for the station you listen to the most-Radio Five Live in my case.
Tuning is an absolutely breeze , basically the radio scans for you( you can also choose to do it manually if you prefer) and once tuned into the multiple choices of station -most of which are dire commercial music stations it must be said - you can then choose seven display modes . There is also something called Dynamic Range Control which can make quieter sounds easier to hear in noisy environments but that's the sort of thing very few will use I feel. There is also a reset button should your radio develop any display glitches or operating anomalies. There is also a line out socket for connecting to external sources and the obligatory headphone socket. The unit can be powered using the supplied adaptor or six LR14(C size) batteries.
There are undoubtedly more expensive and consequently more flamboyantly equipped machines around but if you want a mid- price DAB that does the job with very little extraneous frills this is a good option. I cannot understand why it's not available via Amazon as it can be easily purchased elsewhere and its an option worth considering especially if you are still stuck with an old signal broadcast radio. The only pity is you can't get Radio Four in it for "Test Match Special".

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Reception, 3 Mar 2011
What a disappointing radio this is, I have 2 other DAB radios in the house (Pure Evoke 1 and Sony) which pick up 40+ DAB stations in different locations around the house. This radio struggles to find 10 and these then break up when listening to them, I've tried all the usual tricks of moving the aerial, re-siting the radio low down, high up, by a window, at the edge of a room, in the middle of the room all to no avail.

4.0 out of 5 stars distortion at first, but..., 4 Dec 2010
I've looked at reviews here, there & everywhere before deciding on this unit. With only one bad review for distorted sound - and that at max volume - I thought I could put up with that. However, the distortion was so bad at anything but low volume (when listening to speech), that I was all set to return it for refund. (I knew it was a design fault, not just one faulty unit.) As it had taken me two intensive weeks of research to get to this point, I was loathe to start all over again. So I had another fiddle with it, and took the battery cover off. Suprise & delight - 95% improvement in sound quality. The battery door was vibrating with the sound! As I only intend using it on mains, and as it will stay close to the wall, opeating without the battery cover is no problem. (I don't know whether you would get this problem with the two ton of batteries inserted, but I suggest you buy it & try it. Amazon are always good with returns.)I'm now a happy chappy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DAB radio, 3 Oct 2010
John Mcclung "Fusspot" (N.I.) - See all my reviews
A great compact radio for the price. Good sound quality and better at picking up stations than others in this price range - I know as i live in a bad reception area. Great for the bedroom or kitchen as it takes up little space and is modern looking. Very pleased with this item.

Roberts Gemini 45 DAB FM RDS Digital Radio - Black