Price:£44.95+ £4.30 shipping

on 19 July 2013
Calculators are very run of the mill these days, commoditised, price driven. The 35S is not a cheap calculator, and if you're after functions per GBP, then look no further than the Casio range, but if you want RPN, and a sense of quality, with a real feeling that what you have calculated must be correct, and programmability, then the HP35S is the one to get.
on 30 October 2009
I can't compare this to other HP calculators, as I have never used another HP one, but I like this a lot better than the Casio calculators I have used. The RPN entry takes a bit of getting used to but becomes second nature eventually. The algebraic input mode is also useful.

Other functions such as complex numbers, unit conversions and the ability to work in difference bases is very handy.

I haven't learnt how to program it, or how to use HP Solve, but I expect I will find these useful.

The calculator is of very good build quality. The keys don't travel very far but make a nice click when pressed. It comes with a protective case and a nice thick printed instruction manual (but I have heard that some HP-35S calculators came with a CDROM manual). Also, oddly, mine came with a bonus 1GB SD card. I suppose I will be able to use that in my digital camera.

Oxford Educational Supplies shipped the calculator very quickly and it arrived with me next day by first class post.

Highly Recommended.
on 12 February 2014
Bought this to replace my old 11C which finally gave up after more than 30 years!

Find that the key layout is less intuitive than the 11C, but that said, this is a great calculator, does all the geometric and numeric stuff I need.
on 20 November 2015
Having used RPN calculators since I bought my first Hewlett Packhard (32SII) one as a student, I am never very confident with 'normal' calculators. My original calculator still works fine despite being heavily used over 40 years(!) and being dropped many times, but I decided I wanted a second one so I could leave one at work and one at home. Not surprisingly, HP don't make the same model any more so I bought this one which looks like it is the nearest equivalent. It works OK but I prefer the earlier model which was much thinner and had less info on the screen at one time. After buying this I managed to get a second hand 32SII version on ebay.
on 2 December 2010
Hats off to the HP boffins who designed this marvel. My best advice to prospective buyers is 'This is NOT an 'ordinary' calculator' (although it can behave as one if you want)

Much impressed by the i-notation, although in ALG mode I find that you can't square i to be -1. (In RPN mode you can multiply i by itself to end up with the correct answer though..) It isn't something I have much need for, so will overlook..

Best fun of all is that you can leave it in RPN mode and lend it to people, who will invariably arrive at the wrong answer for simple sums. I'd never thought of pocket calculators as entertainment - until now..
on 15 September 2013
Originally ordered a f2215aa#b12 (current model number from a different supplier), but that had faulty buttons. The model of this is a earlier type, but I think they are all the same. Slip case is better as it has a flock lining so calc does not stick in it. Buttons seem slightly softer in action than model listed above but they all work ok.
on 9 January 2016
Essential tool for professional engineers
on 14 April 2013
I have used HP pocket calculators since they were first available in the late 1960s/early 1970s.
They are reliable, long lasting - I still have one which is over 30 years old and working perfectly.
on 11 February 2013
I have used an HP Scientific calculator for over thirty years now and have found them reliable and clear and logical to use. This is so much more than an adding machine and makes every day calculation and analysis straightforward.
on 7 April 2013
Not made or designed by HP. it is a retro calculator in the HP 35 / HP41C RPN step-branch-loop non object manner. the retro keyboard is very welcoming after the english-designed HP49/50 object-like machine, which is superb but un HP like. Looks very good, keyboard doesn't bounce like the HP49/50 . barely adequate memory, for a few step programs, not hackable as far as I can see. reasonably accurate , metric units, display not backlit. If you just want a four-function calculator or spreadsheet, this is far better and may make you curious about all the maths you forgot since grade school. does ISG /DSE loops and lots. Big reference book is a bit brief on its actual capabilities. Value at the price.

See one answered question