on 4 February 2009
Also produced by Character Options hot on the heels of the Series 3 finale is a toy replica of the Master's Laser Screwdriver to partner with the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver.

The problem with these sorts of things is, they exist solely as novelties and as such, all they have going for them is a novelty that may quickly wear thin for some people. It's 4 stars worth of fun for about 5 minutes before it gets dismantled and placed firmly back in its box because its noises are comparable to having nails dragged down a chalkboard after you get sick of hearing the same sound effects for the umpteenth time - and this is coming from a fan of the show.

Don't get me wrong though - I, being fond of the better episodes of the new series have inevitably collected a couple of pieces of merchandise along the way, comprised of both screwdrivers along with a selection of DVDs. The toy is great fun for little and big kids but beyond pretending to be a psychotic alien villain, the device serves no more purpose.

Although the device does feel reasonably large and sturdy in the hand, this is not enough to disguise the fact that Character Options have cut some corners, and make many of the toys including this one from cheap plastic. The BBC branding team has also come down with an unfortunate case of licensing-liberties and have seen fit to slap a price tag exceeding £12 for this little thing in most retail stores. Many will find such a price to be unreasonable to the point of brazen extortion, hanging on the thread of pester-power from excitable, tantrum-prone children on a shop floor. The best deal for the product is by far on Amazon.

The battery-life is not quite so bad as some people have mentioned. In my experience they are equally as good as those provided for the Sonic Screwdriver, although no better par se. So long as the user is cautious enough to remove the batteries after use, and keep the packaging for storage, they should last a long time. There is however a major design flaw with the batteries, in that they are, for those trying to assemble the device out-of-the-box, very complex and borderline frustrating to properly fit. In the event that the batteries do run out, you are advised to search the house from stern to port for a very small Alan Key to stand a chance of actually removing them.

The big dipper with this product though, inevitably is the novelty that -let's face it - is pretty much the only thing any franchise merchandise ever had going for it. For those who are not fans of Doctor Who, they daren't bat an eye to what will be a complete waste of money regardless of the price. Even for those that are, the novelty may soon wear off; but if you're a big kid who just wants a collectable to play with now and again, or a younger fan with dreams of conquering The Doctor, this will be right up your alley.

It's bigger, but not better - a Sonic Screwdriver for the less subtle of Doctor Who fans.
on 24 June 2010
The laser screwdriver is a very fun toy. I have hardly put it down over the last 2 days.

When I bought this, it took me a while to put in batteries and if you are wondering then turn it a bit anti clockwise and the top comes off and brings the battery case up too. Then I was ready to go.

There was a trigger button on the side and if you push it down a little it extends! push it down full and it activates the laser noise! Hold for two seconds and it makes a really cool ageing noise! (Do not work in closed off mode)

At the bottom of the screwdriver there is a spinning part. I do not know what it is for though. It only spins if you twist it! If you/your kids like carrying it around it sticks out a bit. But that doesn't matter too much.

And if you buy it in a high street shop, you have a better chance of a good one, because the amazon ones are a little bit dodgy according to others.

You will love the laser screwdriver but look after it! They're rare now!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2008
I admit my sons have had fun with these; but only until one broke, less than six hours into Christmas day. Amazon were fantastic in response, sending out a replacement next working day (over Christmas!) :) but sadly this also broke, within 20 mins of opening. Painful scenes with 8 year old in tears :( Have now received notification from Amazon that we are not the only ones with a problem & are going for a refund (still have devastated 8 year old - he was so careful with the second one, yet still it broke) I don't recommend this - the sonic is much more durable, plus has UV light AND a pen/invisible writer!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2008
I bought this screwdriver for my little boy's 7th birthday. He played with it for 20 minutes before it stopped working altogether. No sound, no light. It was then impossible to access the batteries and the trigger stopped working. This is absolute rubbish and I was the one who had to deal with my little boy sobbing on his birthday. It is not fit for purpose and I totally agree with the reviews made by Joyce Rowe and I holden. My other little boy owns the sonic screwdriver and has had it for months without any problems. I think the master laser screwdriver should be withdrawn until they sort out the problems with it.
on 4 March 2009
I have read all the reviews saying how this stops working really soon after buying. We had the same problem but I discovered that it is really easy to fix and the screwdriver is actually quite durable. What happens is when the button is pressed and the spring is released sometimes the head end rotates slightly causing the malfunction. On the head there is a gold band that has a grid of 3x3 holes in it. All you have to do to get the screwdriver working again is rotate the head so that this grid lines up with the gold ridged panel (also with holes in it, not the bit where the button is) and it will start working again. Hope this helps all those who have been disappointed with this item. My 5 and 7 year old boys love it and are not known for being particularly gentle with it either.
on 16 October 2010
This laser screwdriver looks the business. The detail is fine, and the colours apt.

However, not 2 days after it arrived, it broke. The sounds are fine and nothing's hanging off, but it doesn't "catch" when it retracts, and springs straight back out again. If I hold it down and fiddle with the switch, I can just about get it to catch, but that's not really how it should work, is it?

It hasn't suffered any trauma or damage, so I can only put it down to shoddy design.

Still, it wipes the smile off that smug Doctor's face...
on 25 December 2007
As a kid whose just been given his presents on Christmas Day, it may surprise you that although i got many gifts, including a new iPod Nano, the thing I have used most is this.

I love running around the house with my Laser Screwdriver - the sound may get a bit annoying and the aging is rubbish but it makes me feel very empowered.

Sonic or Laser? Laser, by far.
on 1 January 2009
I have read comments that it 'broke within 20 mins'. This purely depends on what kind of treatment you are giving it. And, with an 8 year old, it is to be expected. I found that the sonic screwdriver is the least durable, the buttons come away easily. This is by far more durable. It may be that the ones from amazon are bad. I got mine from Woolworths (now non existent shop). It has lasted ages, and batteries last forever! It is easy to operate, but once or twice the spring doesn't pop up straight away. But it is great, and the effects are really clear. They look great as part of a collection, and give you such a childish joy.

But I would recommend buying from a high street store rather than online if you're worried about it not working correctly.
on 30 October 2010
i think you should get this lazer screwdriver because its completely unique and mine only broke when i carelesly dropped it once but i fixed it.
one down side i find it can get a bit annoying when it keeps popping up in my pocket if a have it in my pocket but apart from that its great value.
on 5 January 2008
I bought one each for my two boys. The spring loading function never worked on one and on the second it broke within two minutes.