5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Winner!
True story, I actually toyed with the idea of creating a video review just to enthuse about the tripod, but I'm not brave enough for that yet. Dance videos on facebook and gameplay videos on youtube are one thing, but a serious discussion about something someone might drop some real cash money on... Yeah, let's skip the theatrics :)

Now onto the thing itself...
Published on 24 May 2010 by Ade

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, but unstable without modification
This tripod is not bad, but it's not great. It looks like you get a lot for your money, but having had mine for a while now, I'm starting to look for a better one.
Published on 20 April 2011 by Peter Piper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Winner!, 24 May 2010
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)

Now onto the thing itself. The tripod is solidly built. I'll admit I've only had it for maybe an hour or two, but I am not just satisfied, I am impressed with it. Photography and Videography aficionados may well know exactly what they want when shopping for a tripod, but I just wanted something that a)wasn't cheaply built, and b)could actually see my screen. To this end, I got a Joby Gorillapod tripod, which was fine for a while until I realised that it's main advantage (being able to be multi-positioned) was not truly what I wanted, but rather height. The other thing about the Joby was that it's really only for hand held cameras, it couldn't take the weight of my mom's old camcorder.

So after deciding I needed a traditional tripod, I still didn't know what I wanted, although that was mostly because NONE OF THE OTHER REVIEWERS WOULD INCLUDE HEIGHT MEASUREMENTS! That aggravated me no end, so now i've got my tape measure out and I can tell you that it is 12.5in (32.5cm) tall when it's fully retracted, and 24.5in (63.5cm) tall fully extended. Hopefully that helps someone who's trying to decide. I thought it was going to be shorter and honestly it's a little too tall, but nothing I can't work around (fortunately). Even if i'd been unable to work around it, it'd still be a fantastic little gem. I'm going to put pictures up so you can see what it looks like fully extended, retracted, etc.

Miscellanea: It does mark my table, which is one of those formica/plastic computer table jobbies from argos (i THINK). It's not something I would have considered, let alone noticed, but the other reviewer mentioned it so after a few simulated repositionings, I can notice the streaks left by the tripod's feet. They're made out of some rubber grip material, and may just be showing off how new they are... Also, it's still very, very new in my hands, I haven't dropped it to see how resilient it is, haven't used it in all sorts of weather, haven't used it long enough to see if the moving parts will wear out, etc, but for a tenner, it's a bargain and from what i've seen it'll last at least a decade if used properly and with care.

I don't think it's meant to be a replacement for a full blown tripod (for one thing it's not tall enough for that), but if you want to capture a toddler's first steps, or do table/desktop recordings or other similar small to midrange (under a metre) height scenarios, it's perfect. AND, it comes with a carry case so you can take it with you if you're the sort to need spontaneous stability but is not able to lug around the big boys- This tripod is extremely light, definitely under 100grams I'd say. It's even got a horizontal spirit level in the swivel head!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, but unstable without modification, 20 April 2011
Peter Piper - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
The action is not smooth. As I bought it for macro work, that's not good. In fact it's a blooming nuisance! Worst of all, is that the tripod can tip over unless you extend all the legs fully. As I have a bridge camera, this is disappointing and I'm sure it wouldn't support an SLR with a weighty lens on. Falling over is obviously not really a great feature in a tripod!
The leg locks aren't great. I locked the legs and found one retracted while locked when I applied a little weight to it while positioning my camera. I'm not over the moon about the camera mount either. It's sweet that it's removable, but it's connection to the camera is poor. I'm happy enough with it for the money, but I wouldn't say it's great. I do use it now and then as a mini-tripod, but am looking for a better quality item.

On the plus side, although it's a poor tripod, it has become a cool "gun" for my boy to play with. So not all is lost! :-)

UPDATE: Having replaced this somewhat wobbly little rascal with another low-level tripod, I was left with what was essentially scrap. Rather than throw it away, I thought I'd try and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A convenient way to make a tripod more stable is to spread the legs further apart. However, the design of this tripod means that the legs can't open very wide as they are linked to the main column. Enter PP and his hacksaw & drill.
First I drilled out the rivets on the top of the plastic leg locks which are linked to the central column. Then I sawed off the bottom of the outer centre column so that it was pretty much flush with the internal column, which is adjustable up and down. Then I splayed the legs as wide as I could without the centre column bottoming out, and passed picture-hanging wire through the holes left by the drilled-out rivets. Once I'd tied the ends of the wire and glued the knot so it couldn't come undone I tried it out. Wow! Now I have a tripod that has a height of less than 9" and as can be seen in the picture I've added, can happily support a Nikon D50 with a fully extended 300mm zoom lens pointed over a gap in the legs, i.e. the least stable place it can rest. I'm afraid you'll have to hunt a little for my picture as another reviewer has added several pictures of the tripod and it's packaging. I think it's worth noting that he has wisely not risked attaching a camera to his tropod! ;-) Additionally I've improved the tripod's smoothness when panning and tilting by adding some silicone lubricant.

So now I have a pretty neat little tripod, but only because I engineered it that way. So the 3* review stands.

5.0 out of 5 stars light and versatile, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
My husband used this tripod to make me a foot rest and it is amazingly light to carry around when visiting clients. Lots of different adjustments possible. Very good value and can always be used for my camrea in between. I love things that multitask!

5.0 out of 5 stars MY BIG ONES HAD A BABY, 11 Aug 2007
E. R. Jones (rochdale uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
I bought the large remote tripod and was well pleased,i just thought this one at about £12 might just pop into the suitcase i was rearly suprised to find that it is of the same qulity as the lager one (minus the elctrics of course)its a robust gem of a tool and even has extending legs.If you have a cam you just gotta get one of these,ps great delivery from amazon yet again.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... my first tripod ever and it looks and feels fine for a first timer, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
This is my first tripod ever and it looks and feels fine for a first timer. Didn't give it a 5 star as there are no instructions to explain the workings of it and almost smashed my camera when I dislodged it from the tripod accidentally from the release plate. But it looks like it's what I've been looking for for the kind of photos I want to take.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camlink Tripod., 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
For the price an excellent piece of Kit, needs a touch of Silicon grease in the thread to make it smoother for use with Macro.
Can tip over if used with a longish lens, but easy to avoid if the Lens is over the middle leg.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camlink Tripod, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
Pretty good quality, well made for the price, wind up handle was a bit stiff but lubed up was ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
Ordered this as a present for my Son, who wanted a table top tripod for his Architectual projects. Great product,Great price and even better service, delivered in a blink of the eye. Well done Crooked Image

5.0 out of 5 stars handy tripod!, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
this tripod is mostly good in terms of material used. plasticy but looks sturdy enough for me. this is my frist tripod and i am satisfied with it. the only downside is that when you extend it vertically (using the wind-up part), the column becomes woobly. tried this when it was very very windy in town in this area that i was working on, fully extended with my nikon d90 with sigma 10-20mm on and the wind did not topple it down (the bicycle that i had leaned on a street pole fell)

4.0 out of 5 stars as described, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Camlink TP330 Tripod - Tabletop (Accessory)
Good product as described . Maybe the finish quality could be better but does the job good and fair. recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›