on 26 August 2008
I didn't have any problems putting this together. As always with 'flat-pack' kit, it pays to read the instructions very carefully before starting. In this case, make sure you have a solid, flat, base to work on.RTA Wine Rack 30 Bottle Wood and Metal Kit
on 10 April 2013
Was a bit worried by the number of people who'd struggled putting this together. However, let me give any future buyers a couple of tips (as already mentioned...) give yourself a little space and give yourself a little time and this will go together very easily, I had mine done in about 35 minutes. The trickiest bit is getting the metal grill together, once you've got that done it's simply a question of putting a wooden slat on to each cross piece of the grill. Then you turn the whole thing over and finish by nailing in a series of metal cross-supports. Finished product does the job very well, I've only marked it down a star because the end product still has a slightly rough and ready appearance, however for the vast majority of users (myself included) the wine rack is there to sereve a purpose rather than look good... and it serves that purpose very well! Would definitley reccomend for those patient enough to enjoy the construction (as I did!)
on 26 November 2012
Those that complain that this is too difficult to put together just need a little bit of patience. My wife managed to put it together just fine and it looks fantastic. Seems very sturdy.
on 3 January 2013
If |I'd known this was self-assembly, I wouldn't have bought it. That should bein the basic information, not the one that only appears when you look for it. Took me the best part of 90 minutes to put ittogether. At first, it was not easy to do, certainly on my own. But, once put together, it does the job very well and the price is great. But beware. Amazon says the product can be wall mounted, while the instructions include a warning : This product must never be wall mounted.
on 19 November 2012
This unit goes together easily with the use of a hammer for driving in the nails. Easy to assemble. Recommended as it can also be extended with add-on sections. The cost is also right at about the same as a 'good' wine.
on 14 November 2008
It is a bit of an IQ test to assemble but the completed product is a sturdy rack that takes all shapes of wine bottles.
on 1 December 2012
As expected, good result and good value for money. I guess if you're not a DIYer or not prepared to put in a little time, effort & thought then you could mess it up!
on 14 May 2015
I knew that I had to assemble the wine rack, but what I did not realise was to what extent I would have to do it. I had mistakenly expected it to be part assembled. If I had 4 hands it might have been a bit easier because the first part of putting it together involved linking the first 12 metal bars and I likened this to building a house of cards; you can get the first 3 or 4 bars together then try the next one and they all collapsed - also I found that the edges of the bars were quite sharp so there was a bit of blood from the fingers! I eventually cracked it but NOT from the sparse picture instructions.I got it all together by making square of the bars and securing each corner with the pieces of wood then added a bar and another piece of wood to secure it and so on. The final part was putting the last 12 bars on and nailing them to the other end of the wood, there are 36 pieces of wood but 16 of them were not pre-drilled to get the nail in the centre. In the end it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete, and the finished product is good - apart from the blood drops - and I am happy with it.It was the first part that was very frustrating and time consuming. The only reason I am giving it 2 stars is because of the assembly problems, in my opinion the first part definitely needs 4 hands which I don't possess, but then I'm an OAP and a much younger person might do better. However, it is sturdy and looks good with all the wine duly installed. Would I buy it again? Definitely not, I would pay the extra and get a ready made one!
on 16 March 2014
On receiving the rack I checked the contents to the list enclosed and found all items in the box. The assembly was very easy if the instructions are followed. 30 minutes to assemble and substantial when completed.
on 6 October 2014
A single instruction sheet comes with this ready to assemble Rack. When you start assembling the rack it looks and feels a bit rubbish, very wobbly, bendy and impossible to complete. Wrong. I would agree that it`s a bit fiddly to assemble, but when you`ve finished it feels pretty solid and rigid. Use the supplied plastic wall plugs (2) and screws (2) to fix it to something solid and it`s fine.
My advice is to lay the bits and pieces out, look at them carefully (especially the flat metal bars) to see how they slot together before you start. I started by assembling the corner units and sides first, which gave a reasonably (but not entirely!) rigid frame to start with.
Ensure that when you start tapping the slotted flat bars across each other and the into slots in the ends of the wooden dowels, you have the bar slots the right way up, or it gets horribly frustrating. Also, make sure you`re on a firm flat floor or workbench when you start hammering (gently).
Be patient! You`ll probably feel like hurling the whole thing out of the window when you`re half way through, but stick with it, don`t rush and you`ll probably do it in about an hour or so. (I had to partially disassemble mine at one stage cos I got careless!)
I think each person will find their own way of assembling these racks.
I don`t regret buying two of these, I think they`re a fair price.