3.9 out of 5 stars2,502
Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Fertilizer Spray|Change

on 30 December 2014
I had a good look at the reviews before I bought this so I should have been prepared for this rather than hoping "it might not happen with mine" but it seems like this suffers from a design fault. As with many other reviewers I experienced air leaking. This means it can't hold any pressure and very quickly goes from a nice spray to a limp dribble.

The leak was fairly easy to locate, it's the pressure release valve. It's easy to take apart (remove the white clip below the spring, slide the spring off the pull the red bung out) and inspecting it all the components were in good order so I think it's in design rather that I received a fault unit. When it does have any pressure the slightest brush against the valve and you hear a rush of air coming out, it just seems to create a very tenuous seal at best.

As I say it seems a design flaw, the o-ring is fairly small and there seems a lot of wiggle in the stopper. Slathering it in Vaseline did help but not entirely. It allowed me to get the job I needed done out the way at least. I'll not need to use it again for a while but the next potential culprit I'll try tackling to improve the seal is to put a washer or two at the end of the spring to increase the tension - that should hopefully help counter the higher pressure and allow a bit more to build before a leak - or dig around my odds and ends to see if I have a beefier o-ring (not spares in mine as another review commented) but it's workable with the vaseline.

Now I bought this having read numerous reviews of pressue leaks/quick pressure loss so I half expected I'd experience the same. If I didn't though, I'd have given it 1 star. Still, you should expect something you buy to work, right? Yes and yes it does work, just poorly. For context though Argos's cheapy own brand is over double what I paid for this, B&Q's cheapest equivalent approaching triple of what I paid and I suspect with a bit more work on the valve it'll operate absolutely fine and still at a much cheaper cost than the alternatives so 3 stars. I got what I paid for.

Having gone back to it and reapplied Petroleum Jelly to the pressure release valve with a bit more care (rather than in frustration while trying to use it) and it now works 100% as advertised. Hold pressure well, builds up as far as it said it should and can go for ages without having to stop and pump the pressure back up. Brilliant!
on 12 April 2013
Bought this specifically to be a weed killing machine for the driveway. I have others specifically for watering and nutrient delivery.
So, the nozzle is a one pattern jobbie, and you need to tighten the threads before you fill it and you need to keep the pressure up by pumping? That's true of every sprayer.
It took me an hour to spray 5 gallons of compost tea while I was testing it for leaks ... when I was satisfied I switched to weed killer and the Kingfisher did the job perfectly.
on 3 August 2011
Very impressed with the quality of this sprayer for next to no cost. Easy to carry with or without the strap and the adjustable spray lasts a long time for little pumping effort. We use it for spreading weedkiller on paths and patio.
on 29 December 2011
A very good quality sprayer , holds pressure no problem does just what it says it does no fuss or leaks
on 3 January 2012
I've got a reasonable sized patio that requires weed killer spraying on it at least twice a year. I've previously used weed killers that come with a sprayer but have found them to be a bit of a pain in the back and require lots of pumping.

This sprayer, fully loaded, is easy to carry around (with the integrated strap) and once pumped will spray a large area. I'm not restricted to buying expensive weed killers with sprayers and can quickly and comfortably spray the patio.

The unit is well made and easy to clean and is a welcome addition to my garden tools.
11 comment|159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2009
No fuss, cheap and cheerful, does the job for any average size garden. Quick and efficient delivery service. A bargin at the price.

thanks
nik - glasgow
11 comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2009
I use this product quite a lot around the home and garden, especially when making good plastering and rendering small & medium area works. In the garden I use it for watering hanging baskets and flowerpots.

It is a very handy addition used only for clean water, as I have other similar units which are used for weed killers or pesticides.

It works well and comes with a full set of replacement seals etc. something you don't get with the more expensive models.

It is wise when you receive the product to tighten all joints to ensure pressure is maintained and no leaks occur.
0Comment|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2014
When you are spraying bad chemicals around like insecticide, industrial weed killer, fungiside it's important to have a sprayer that will not have bits falling off it leaving the pressure and fluid soak you in different ways every time. If you shake the handle too much when spraying quickly the yellow spray arm will blow off, gushing your fluid al over your lawn, killing everything. If you over pressurise the tank you run the risk of having the main pipe blow of the tank, squirting the contents all over your face. Re tighten everything, it will happen again!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 May 2016
They are so reasonably priced I have two of these now. I like to keep one sprayer for weedkiller (check out 'Rosate 36') separate to the one I use for Moss killer (check out Pro-Kleen Iron Sulphate) and Dandilion Killer (check out Verdone).

Product packaging is fine and the item was delivered undamaged.
Assembly is as simple as screwing in the yellow tube section into the handle.
To use, simply add whatever quantity of water you need, then the chemical of choice. Screw in the handle/top using the handle clipped into the top to turn and lock in place. Start pumping, you can feel it getting a little harder to pump when the pressure is getting about right. There is a red pressure release valve that will start hissing if you are over pressurising the unit. Squeeze the trigger (this can be locked in the 'on' position) and you're good to go.
When I used this one for the first time, I had a leak from the centre of the handle. It turned out that the rubber seal in the handle (before the trigger) had not been inserted correctly and was crushed and twisted. I re-aligned it and tightened back up and all was fine.
I find it quite uncomfortable to wear the sprayer over one shoulder as you need to constantly stop it from swinging forward with one hand so I end up just holding the strap in my hand - it's not a big deal though.
The only slight issue I have (and why I have deducted 1 star) is that on the latest one I bought, the hanging strap fits into a slot instead of a hole (see photo). This allows the hanging strap to move closer to the pressure release valve which it then leans on and releases pressure. They should go back to the model with the hole in my opinion. I'm going to fix this by drilling a hole as shown in the photo and fitting the strap ring there instead then it's away from the pressure relief valve.

**** I hope you found my review helpful. If so, please click on the YES button to say so. If think otherwise, I'm sorry about that, but before you click on the "no" button to say I was unhelpful, please leave me a comment with your thoughts. I might be able to improve the review so it can be as helpful as it could be. ****
review image
on 20 April 2013
This pressure pump has fulfilled all my expectations so far. For the price I consider if very good value.. Only time will tell if it will stand up to a lot of use. But for the price it could be replace after a couple of years.