5.0 out of 5 stars just the job
good old fashioned tin opener, just what I wanted. I have a drawer full of 'modern' tin openers, some don't work at all, some have just packed up working and some I simply can't get to grips with, so much for modern improvements! I'm an oldfashioned girl at heart, and well pleased with this purchase.
Published on 14 Feb 2012 by D. Burbridge

1.0 out of 5 stars I found it impossible to open a tin!
Published 13 months ago by Stacey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars just the job, 14 Feb 2012
D. Burbridge (gloucester) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Matts Review, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
Ok, these things don't sound exciting but they are sooo good, I happened to get one when backpacking and it's the handiest piece of kit. No more messing with those turny can openers that always break after a while. Also this thing can open bottles and has a corkscrew TOPS! It takes a while to get used to using it but when you do its actually faster and gives you a mini kitchen workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN DO ANYTHING, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
Looked everywhere 4 a retro can opener my mum used 2 use. I needed it 2 pierce 2 holes in my can of evaporated milk,which modern can openers cannot do. Practical indeed....

5.0 out of 5 stars tin opener, 13 Jun 2013
A. D. Bourne - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
I know it's old fashion, but all the other tin openers I have, do not seem to open tins completely any more, but this opener will do what is asked of it. Arrived well packaged and on date stated. Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars I found it impossible to open a tin!, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this tin opener to replace one of those cheap butterfly ones from Wilko that had stopped working after a little under 9 months. I wanted to make sure before buying a more expensive one that it would work out cheaper in the long run, so less than 44p per 9 months-ish of use. I then came across this with one review stating they'd been using one for 50 years! It sounded too good to be true but I was willing to give it a try.

When it arrived I couldn't tell how to use it at first. I saw from the reviews that it was an 'old fashioned' one so looked up how to open 'old fashioned tin openers' and eventually found that this is known as a 'lever' style and that to open it you use it kind of like a bottle opener to pierce a hole and then continue from there to cut off the lid. So I grabbed a tin and gave it a shot. I managed to make a hole in the tin pretty easily, but how on earth you're meant to continue from that to open the tin I don't know.

I tried twisting it so that it would be facing in the right direction to cut around the tin like a standard tin opener, however it would not turn. I think this is because the blade is long and deep yet very thin, so the hole made is not wide enough for the blade to be turned on the spot. With you having to press against the outside of the tin to make the hole in the first place it's not possible to make the hole with the blade facing that way, I gave it a good try anyway on a different part of the tin, but it obviously wasn't going to work with nothing to press against.

I therefore considered cutting across the center of the can to open it, maybe two lines like a cross and then I could bend the four quarters back. I put the blade back in it's original hole and proceeded to cut in a straight line towards the middle. This was working until the cut I had made reached the length of the blade, at which point attempting to continue just made the opener slip all over the place. After many failed attempts at continuing I realised it just wasn't going to happen so made a new hole at the opposite end of the tin hoping the two would meet in the middle. Unfortunately the length of the blade was smaller than half the distance to the center of the tin and I reached the same problem once this new cut was the same length as the blade.

I did try making several more cuts towards the center, hoping that all these cuts would make the lid weak enough to be forced through, but it didn't happen. After about an hour I gave up, put the partially opened tin in the fridge and had some pasta instead. I've now purchased a 'Brabantia Essential Line' tin opener for 6.26, after looking up many reviews to be sure it will be cheaper in the long run there are lots saying it lasts 10-16 years, which should mean it's at least the same as constantly re-buying the cheap Wilko opener if not cheaper. I'll be reviewing that once it stops working, maybe earlier if it gets to the point of being clearly cheaper in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great effective little opener, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
This opener is very versatile. It is not complicted and works really well. I am very happy with my purchase. Thak you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned opener, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
Didn't think i'd still be able to get one of these. Had one for years till it wore out. Fed up with all the other types of openers even electric ones. Back to basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 16 May 2014
S. Suckling (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
I have lost count of the ordinary can openers I have bought and have broken over the years but this little beauty is indestructable and I love it. Would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars my dad liked this item, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
My dad like this it help to open old fashioned tin he showed me how to work it was ok

5.0 out of 5 stars can, 20 Mar 2014
Mrs. A. M. C. Smith (Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Chefaid W2144/E Can Opener With Corkscrew (Kitchen & Home)
This is to replace one which is really old!! Same function and obviously sharper. Delighted as although I have bought more modern ones this is the type I like and am very pleased. Packaging etc. very good as was delivery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›