5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for chopping boards!
Published on 9 Jan 2012 by Rasmus K. Weinhardt

3.0 out of 5 stars I was a bit disappointed that it left a crystalline residue on the boards ...
I bought this to re-oil some chopping boards and whilst it did rejuvenate the boards, I was a bit disappointed that it left a crystalline residue on the boards when dry, which needed scraping off to allow the boards to be wiped clean to avoid food particles remaining.
Published 1 month ago by Vulcan

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for chopping boards!, 9 Jan 2012
Rasmus K. Weinhardt "lastrealhippie" (Kent-England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I use this product for my bamboo chopping boards. You have to be patient though, step one: Apply the oil thinly (!) using a lint free cloth, and leave for 45 minutes to be absorbed. Step two: take off the excess oil with another cloth. Repeat steps one and two on the rear of your chopping board. Do not use the board yet, but repeat the process after 24 hours and then again after another 24 hours. After 4 days you'll have a bamboo chopping board that'll last you a lifetime (unless you would put it in a dishwasher which is a definate no no, of course). It's now coated with a matt, tough film that stops the board from absorbing moisture.As I said just be patient, it pays off, since tung oil is one of the few oils that "hardens"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality oil, 28 Dec 2011
Fandango - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Liberon TO500 500ml Pure Tung Oil (DIY & Tools)
This is a good quality pure Tung oil. I use Danish oil on oak worktops and bought this for an interior oak windowsill I'd just installed as I did not want the shiny finish of Danish oil. Well, you certainly don't get a shiny finish! It seems to take longer to dry than Danish oil (probably because it has not been diluted with thinners) and didn't seem to be building up a "coat" like Danish oil does. It has a strong but pleasant smell which goes eventually. After about 4 coats I stopped (I'd use about ten for Danish oil) and finished with wax to get the final effect I wanted. Hopefully the tung will protect the wood from any water spills and act as a secondary barrier to the wax.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Finish, Believe Me...., 29 July 2011
David Sneath (Leicester, England.) - See all my reviews
Just used Tung oil undiluted to finish a solid oak table top that I've sanded down to the bare wood. Brilliant finish even after the first coat, and three more coats to go as recommended which can only improve the result. Bought the oil for finishing a dark wood stairs handrail, but sanded it off after a couple of days because the effect was just too dark, still undecided on a replacement finish as Tung oil is just so good it spoils you for anything else. Be warned: all the reviews give the impression that the shade of your wood will shine through unchanged, which is simply not the case -- it will darken perceptibly, well, mine did. However, what is just brilliant about Tung oil is that it goes on consistently using a simple rag, and nothing like insects etc get stuck in it to ruin your finish! Once you've wiped off the excess after twenty minutes the finish is touch dry and so smooth. It smells OK while unhardened and it won't ruin your clothes and hair-do if you pass by too close while its hardening. Try it and I promise that you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent treatment for oak kitchen work surfaces, 10 Sep 2013
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Liberon TO500 500ml Pure Tung Oil (DIY & Tools)
We have home made kiln dried oak worksurfaces in our kitchen and have always used this tung nut oil to seal them. Tung nut oil has many advantages over other oils - it is food safe, water repellent, it dries, it is heat resistant and lasts a long time. It gives a beautiful mellow colour to wood and provide a nice, non-glassy shine. I have read somewhere that it should be re-applied every 6 to 12 months, but in our experience it is not necessary this often. The majority of our surfaces have not needed any retreatement since last done 4 years ago. The only exceptions are the wooden draining board which is often wet, and the occasional place where someone has put done something which left a mark. So we usually just re-sand the affected parts and recoat them in oil. The rest is good for years.

A couple of points worth remembering :

1) If you have an area which gets wet regularly (around sink), always dry it after you have finished your washing up - this will greatly extend the life span of the oiled surface.
2) Never, and I mean never leave dishwasher powder on the surface with brushing it off immediately. This stuff eats into the oiled surface and marks it very quickly.
3) Don't put wet/rusty cans/metal on the oiled surface as this quickly leaves a black ring.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says oin the tin, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Liberon TO500 500ml Pure Tung Oil (DIY & Tools)
I applied a small amount via brush and let is dry for 24 hours. Repeated this process over a 4 day period and I now have a fantastic butchers block. It does leave an odour which isnt unpleasant in anyway but it isnt completely smell free. For the block to completely dry I left it for about 3 days after the final coat.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic product, 8 Feb 2013
This is a fantastic natural product that I would recommended for sealing wooden kitchen surfaces. Initially the product leaves a distinct smell, this does fades in time. However most importantly it is a non toxic oil which is safe to use around food.

5.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, 1 Dec 2009
Andrew Ballard (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
I have an oak desk and a going over of it with this oil made the wood look alive again, definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats teak oil hands down, 1 July 2009
Bill (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
Liberon Pure Tung Oil 1 Litre

Tung oil provides a very durable wood finish for wood turning as platters / bowls can be used for food

This time I used it to revitalise my hardwood furniture diluted 1:1 with pure turpentine x 3 coats gives a waterproof finish

good product well packaged and quick delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful waterproof finish., 4 Nov 2012
Used pure undiluted oil to seal an oak kitchen worktop and shelves.

Following the advice of the other reviewer, BG, I applied 4 coats but leaving 48 hours instead of 24 hours between coats, also wiping the excess off after 60 minutes instead of 20 minutes.

Yes, this stretches the overall preparation out over a longer period of time. This is massively offset by the fact it does not have the toxic smell of varnish and does not really need any masking tape as an stray oil can just be wiped with kitchen paper a bit like baby oil. So each application of the worktop took 10 minutes tops and most of that was stood looking and admiring it. Then, an hour later came back and wiped down quickly with some old, washed, cotton T-shirts. (My local hardware store advised that lint free cloth is the same as a washed cotton T-shirt, so there is no need to buy an inflated price.)

Another point - the oil is not odourless. Tung oil comes from pressing seeds from the nut of the tung tree. This gives it quite a nutty smell - for me this is a plus.

In summary: requires patience but the actual work is effortless. The end result is a beautiful, durable, waterproof finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Sep 2013
I used this to restore an old wooden top in our bathroom which had been damaged over the years by water, soap and sunlight. I lightly sanded it back, then applied 5 coats of this (4 coats mixed oil and white spirits and a 5th pure oil) and it virtually brought it back to life. I can highly recommend this!

Liberon TO500 500ml Pure Tung Oil