Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 November 2007
Rejoice is the 5th studio album (excluding imports which are largely the same as the UK versions) by Katherine Jenkins. The album stands apart from its predecessors for two reasons: Katherine's new image, and the style of music represented on this latest release.

Firstly the image. Gone is the girl next door look (`Premiere' album cover) to be replaced, thanks to the photographic skills of `Rankin', with an appearance that now does her full justice, as anyone who has seen her live or on TV will probably agree. The cover and sleeve booklet images are in a league above anything seen on her previous albums.

Also, the front cover does show a striking resemblance to Andrea Bocelli's `Sacred Arias' 2002 album, notably with the lack of eye contact and similar smile, and this I think can only be regarded as a compliment to Bocelli. (Incidentally, the 35 x 35cm poster included with the limited edition CD version is from the same photo session as the cover, but this time with eye to camera contact).

Second is the style of music, which is a diversion from that of the previous albums. Until now the song choice has been predominantly classical, opera and traditional mixed with some popular pieces. This time it's completely reversed, with the majority of the album consisting of (relatively) modern popular music, including many songs written specifically for this album.

The new songs such as the title track `Rejoice', `How do you leave the one you love', and `I will Pray For You' are romantic ballads by Steve Mac and Wayne Hector (Westlife, Il Divo, Leona Lewis, Kelly Clarkson songwriters). Other new compositions like `Shout in Silence' and `Viva Tonight' are contributions by Gary Barlow of Take That.

The classics, and of course there should be some, include `Sancta Maria' (Intermezzo from Mascagni's opera Cavelleria Rusticana) and `Be Still My Soul' (Finlandia by Sibelius).

The unusual are `Somewhere' by Leonard Bernstein, `Secret Love' by Sammy Fain for the 1953 film Calamity Jane, and the 1995 Seal hit `Kiss From a Rose'. These are inspired choices which really do add originality and variety to the album.

The surprises are `I (Who Have Nothing)' based on the traditional Italian love song `Uno dei tanti' (One of the Many) made popular by Dame Shirley Bassey, and perhaps not so surprising is the live `Green Green Grass of Home', complete with enthusiastic cheers and wolf whistles from the Millenium Stadium fans. Great stuff to make you smile.

The special, and my favourite of the album, is the heart rending `requiem for a Soldier' which I think reveals Katherine Jenkins at her emotionally deepest and vocally accomplished. This is a special song for a very special album.

Rejoice will no doubt exceed all previous album sales, and deservedly so, for I think it easily surpasses anything Katherine has released so far.
review image
on 2 December 2007
Even though the new album has generated mixed feelings from many people, I feel that the new album shows the potential for Katherine to move from being a classical crossover artist (though I hate that moniker) to someone that could challenge the so called new "divas". Compared to the U.K's current number 1 album (which I have), Katherine demonsrates more emotion and feeling in a single song than the current No 1 album (2 Dec 07) has in its entirity.
Rejoice shows Katherine's voice off well, though the mix of "pop" and cross-over classical does not always fit well. The mix of songs is understandable considering the demands made on artists to appeal the most listeners possible. Even so, the album is worth every penny and shows the huge potential for Katherine Jenkins as a singing star.
on 5 January 2008
My opinion is that 'Rejoice' does try a little too hard to be an album that will appeal to the masses. I have been a fan of Katherine's music for a few years now and every time I bought a new album I'd marvel at the way in which her voice, artistic style and emotional quality had improved. In the past I've enjoyed her slight nod to popular music in the re-workings of Adam's 'Everything I Do' and Huston's 'I Will Always Love You' - not because I need so-called popular music on a classical album but because I genuinely enjoyed the tracks. However, they can never compare to classics such as 'One Fine Day' from Madam Butterfly, 'Nessun Dorma', 'Chanson Boheme' from Carmen, 'Ave Maria', 'Va Pensiero' ad 'Song to the Moon', as well as others besides.

I received 'Rejoice' for Christmas. I put it on in the living room and then found myself tracking the song listings like a hawk. As a fan of Katherine's, I have always spoken highly of her singing to my family and would hate for them to think otherwise. But with 'Rejoice' I cringed when 'Kiss From A Rose' came on, particulary the line that starts 'Baby...'!! It sounded so tacky. My sister flipped over the CD case and said how she liked the song 'I (Who Have Nothing)' - luckily she didn't hear Katherine's version.... The tracks that ARE decent are 'Rejoice' (but a poor choice of track to start the CD with), 'Sancta Maria', 'Requiem for a Soldier' and 'Somewhere' was okay but I've heard better versions by classical artists.

Usually, by now, I would know each of Katherine's songs perfectly and certainly be singing them around the house at all hours of the day. But with 'Rejoice' I'm afraid all that's happened is I'm haunted by that 'Baby....' line.

I will still continue to support Katherine's more traditional music but would be discouraged from buying her next album without hearing it first.
on 22 February 2008
La quinta y maravillosa entrega de la Diva Jenkins, es un album que contiene mas melodias pop pero sin perder el enfoque clasico tan caracteristico de ella; desde piezas que nos recuerdan Broadway como la dulce SECRET LOVE (mi favorita del cd) y la monumental SOMEWHERE, la solemne REJOICE, una version muy hermosa de la cancion de Seal KISS FROM A ROSE, baladas tiernas como LE COSE CHE SEI PER ME hasta culminar con la monumentalmente encantadora VIVA TONIGHT; un gran disco de una gran cantante que nunca me ha dejado de cautivar.
on 16 November 2007
After hearing a snippet or two of her forthcoming album, I just felt I had to say that in my humble opinion, Katherine has gone too far in the pop direction with this 5th album. Getting to a 5th album must feel amazing, but perhaps the record company has pushed her too hard to try and appeal to the broader public - I don't think that makes sense. As many will also feel, Katherine is blessed with a rich mezzo voice, which really stirs emotion in her lower range. Applying this sumptuous voice to a more popera or pop-like repertoire seems a mistake to me. Her voice always sounds too low, where as in her previous classical tracks, it fits just fine. I don't know why this is, but it comes accross very strongly.

Katherine is a beautiful, talented girl, with a stunning voice. Let's not cheapen her with an attempt to bring her to the general public - she has a large and loyal fanbase (myself included), but we need to be kept with her based on the musical sound she created for us. Taking her in a pop direction, only serves to isolate the very people that loved her sound to start with. I look forward to Katherines "Viva la Diva" tour, which will be stunning I'm sure. She is just so lovely, and a UK institution, please don't cheapen her any further.

Kelly -Liverpool
33 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 1 February 2008
Rejoice is the 5th studio album (excluding imports which are mostly, like this one, the same as the UK versions) by Katherine Jenkins. The album stands apart from its predecessors for two reasons: Katherine's new image, and the style of music represented on this latest release.

Also, the front cover does show a striking resemblance to Andrea Bocelli's `Sacred Arias' 2002 album, notably with the lack of eye contact and similar smile, and this I think can only be regarded as a compliment to Bocelli. (Incidentally, the 35 x 35cm poster included with the limited edition CD version is from the same photo session as the cover, but this time with a nice smile looking at the camera).

on 12 February 2009
Throughout my entire life, whenever I have listened to music, I have always spent the time wondering what I was missing on Radio 4. I have always liked music but just not as much as thought provoking discussions or comedy etc. UNTIL NOW. I am so excited to have found a type of music that really excites me. I do actually find it exciting. The tingle factor. Her voice just gets me. I think I like it more when she sings with less vibrato. I just find that her voice touches my emotions in a way that I have never experienced with music. I am 39 years of age. This is life-changing stuff. I don't know if anyone will ever read this but it is a good opportunity for me to broadcast the fact that I have been awoken. Maybe I will be able to find other singers that will have even more impact on me. I am sorry that she is receiving the Nigella Lawson treatment to a certain extent. Yes, she's a pretty girl but she's got a very brilliant gift, and I have been taking advantage of it. I'm off to listen to Radio 4.
on 1 December 2007
I have to start by saying that I am a huge Katherine Jenkins fan, I have seen her live and met her and she is really nice, however this album is not as good as her last ones. I like:
REJOICE, I WHO HAVE NOTHING, HOW DO YOU LEAVE THE ONE YOU LOVE?.. some of the songs are too pop like and don't suit her mezzo voice. Katherine does not have a versitile enough voice to do both pop and classical as Hayley Westenra does!! She should stick to classical or she will alienate her fans and ruin her classical voice (and she says she wants to be in an opera!!!)
She tries to change her voive, but this does not work I also do not think she should not do covers of songs like KISS FROM A ROSE and I would rather hear Doirs Day sing SECRET LOVE any day!
I am not saying this because I am a 'hater' I just think she should not try to fix what is not broken...I will alway be a huge fan and I hope for something better in future.
on 21 November 2007
Katherine Jenkins shows her super talent in a range of music styles. As usual, she has put heart and soul into this album, and has delivered everything her fans have come to expect from her.

I do not agree with those who say Katherine should stick to the classical songs. While she is training her voice for a move into opera when she is older, she still likes to try different styles and offer something new to her audiences. In the popular numbers, whether older ones like Secret Love and Somewhere, or new songs like How Do You Leave the One You Love?, she brings a unique depth of feeling and exceptional vocal quality. Her vocal style is most strikingly different from her classical style in How Do You Leave the One You Love?. I think it could be a chart-topper as a single.

Congratulations, Katherine, on a wonderful fifth album!
on 12 December 2011
This is the first of Katherine's CDs I have purchased, and I think I made an excellent choice. There are some beautiful songs on this CD, and only I couple I already knew. I could listen to this CD over and over again, and still feel the same.